Sacked for comments on Facebook

Can you be fired for what an employer finds what was expressed as a private view or opinion ?
Is it snooping in to private life ?
One gone for working weekends in a non driving role.
Another for selling stuff that was going to put in the rubbish bin.

Yes, people have been. One I remember was a bloke who threw a sickie but then posted pictures on Facebook of himself at a horse race meeting, forgetting his boss was one of his Facebook friends.

Definitely yes, warehouse lad I know slagged his boss off via facebook and was sacked.
Selling what your employer is chucking out is effectively stealing. Your boss would argue that if customer is buying that then they’re not buying from him.
Working weekends when you signed a contract not to is a good reason to go, you’re in breach of contract. Especially if you’re din a driving job where hours are under scrutiny from Wtd AND driver’s hours.

You mean their employer found out they had doing work during their weekly rest period?

It doesn’t really matter how they found that out, they would be breaking the law if they allowed them to work without sufficient rest.

Although the example of some selling goods during their rest periods (on ebay or at car boot sales) would depend on whether it was being done regularly with the intention of making a profit, or whether it was a one-off to get rid of some unwanted household items.

Good timing this post-we have just had to sign a form declaring that no employee of our business shall use social media to portray a negative view of the business,otherwise the disciplinary process will be used.

In view of this,i make the following comments.

P&H at Haydock ,is a dreadful place to be employed at.

Bloody Facebook causes more problems than what it is worth. Most take it for what it actually is, but stupid people put the sort stuff more suited to a private personal diary. It amazes me what some put on there :open_mouth: , do they not know that people read it??
I don’t even disclose who I work for on HERE, seeing as I have been less than complimentary about them in the past, it’s common bloody sense ffs.
You see some on F/B, and especially their wives :open_mouth: , that can’t control their gobs and slag off their partner’s boss and company. If my wife done that to me and made a ■■■■ out of me I would kick her arse.
So my answer to the o/p is yes, if people are so ■■■■■■ thick and stupid thst they cannot see that they are more than likely implicating themselves then wgaf about them. :unamused:

If a driver portrays the firm in a negative way, the companies customers may read it and find another haulier.
If a new bid for a contract, they would chose somebody else.

Can you be fired for what an employer finds what was expressed as a private view or opinion ?
Is it snooping in to private life ?

The point is … it is not “private life” if you decide to publish your thoughts for the whole world to read is it?
and yes people have been disciplined and sacked for comments posted on here, which is why we ask folks to think careful about what they say and how they say it.

Yep we have it written into our contracts about using social media and potential for gross misconduct issues arising from it

I personally know of one person on here who was sacked from a large company where his Facebook diatribes about his bosses played a major factor. It was on a so-called private group with other employees but it looked like it was the final nail because he got reported for it by another person on that group.
Bloody fool

X 2mtd:
I personally know of one person on here who was sacked from a large company where his Facebook diatribes about his bosses played a major factor. It was on a so-called private group with other employees but it looked like it was the final nail because he got reported for it by another person on that group.
Bloody fool

Did he find out which one of the group it was, and does the ■■■■■■■ now have walking difficulties. :smiley:

Ive given up on facebook as my timeline was full of aquaintances who where moaning about their friends in a roundabout way when they weren’t invited to a party… I.e. “cant belive some people have the cheek not to invite me”… Although it is amusing when a row breaks out.

Other stuff was either daft videos or what they had for breakfast or details of an adventurous ■■■.

On a side note the company I work for is great, totally legal, as many hours as I can eat, great conditions, nice kit, provides excellent customer service, luv em to bits.
Unlike P&H who I hear are crap…allegedly.

as a slightly opinionated person, my facebook account is set to ‘friends only’ and every friend I have knows what I am like and it is my opinion/rant/moan at said time. if they don’t like it tough luck delete me and move on.

but if you want to leave your settings on view to the world then be careful (not that in my last job I had a so called friend who thought it was good to screen shot what I had put and then show the boss), this worked well especially when I left, one of the worst firms I have ever worked for in my life and the ex boss was one of the biggest disgraces I have ever had the misfortune to work for.

robroy:
I don’t even disclose who I work for on HERE, seeing as I have been less than complimentary about them in the past, it’s common bloody sense ffs.
:

You and Me both, I sometimes think about breaking cover, but then I think what the hell, this is were I like to be free to say what I want. I haven’t linked this site to My FB page, and My user name is so obscure to My real name that any employer wouldn’t work it out :wink:

robroy:
Bloody Facebook causes more problems than what it is worth. Most take it for what it actually is, but stupid people put the sort stuff more suited to a private personal diary. It amazes me what some put on there :open_mouth: , do they not know that people read it??
:

Best policy for FB is to only post/comment what you are prepared to back up.

robroy:
You see some on F/B, and especially their wives :open_mouth: , that can’t control their gobs and slag off their partner’s boss and company.
:unamused:

I know, our company and so do loads these days have their own page, and encourage employees to join, our place has private employee pages, I thought about friending the company, but then they are looking at what you do with your life. Although I put nothing on My FB that I wouldn’t be prepared to back up, I decided that I’d rather keep them at arm’s length, and only look at the companies public pages.

I hear some off the other guys talking about posting pictures/comments off themselves washing polishing fitting yet more bloody stupid lights, on the weekend, when they should be resting, not ■■■■■■■ about with the companies trucks. To Me that’s like as good as leaving your tacho card on work all weekend and then going off to do a full week Monday am, thus having no weekly rest period. It wont beyond the wit off the DVSA to use social media to prove insufficient rest :unamused:

Our contract states that we are not permitted to work for any other business, regardless off what line off trade they are in. So any employee who worked elsewhere, would be breaking their contract and it doesn’t matter how it comes to light, fact, terms off the contract would be in breach :wink:

robroy:

X 2mtd:
Bloody fool

Did he find out which one of the group it was, and does the [zb] now have walking difficulties. :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dipper_Dave:
On a side note the company I work for is great, totally legal, as many hours as I can eat, great conditions, nice kit, luv em to bits.
Unlike P&H who I hear are crap…allegedly.

I’m gaining an impression that P&H are not the sort off employer that you would recommend, :wink:

Only to my enemies.

■■■■ my chubby 1 to all previous & before hand & also ■■■■■■■ :grimacing:

mozzy666:
■■■■ my chubby 1 to all previous & before hand & also ■■■■■■■ :grimacing:

Is it just me with a dirty mind?

Of course they can. What people dont seem to realise is that as soon as you press the enter button you are telling EVERYONE what you think or what you are doing. Its not “snooping on someones private life”. What they are effectively doing is telling the whole world,not just your friends (although most of the “friends” people have on social media they dont even know!). Telling a friend in a waiting room your boss is a ■■■ for making you do overtime is one thing. He’ll never know coz you only say that to someone you trust not to run back to him and tell him. But plaster it all over facebook and your effectively shouting it so everyone can hear. And that includes your boss. If you want to make your private life public and post every little thing you do or think online,you cant start ■■■■■■■■ when it doesnt go the way you want.

I nearly lost my job as a Police officer because of Facebook. I posted a comment and the lady made a complaint, She was asking for me to be sacked and everything.

I also know of a few drivers who had posted bad remarks about the firm they were working for on Facebook and lost there jobs a week later.

Theres just one simple rule to follow about working and being on social media… just keep the two separate at all times…
Why the hell would you need to voice an opinion or what you had for your breakfast…lunch or tea plus pictures on a social network still beats the hell out of me…

And yes if you wanna slag the company you work for or the ppl within then your playing with fire and expect to get ya fingers burnt