Watch What You Say

Hi All . Been looking at the site for a while and decided to throw my oar in .I think this is a fantastic format for drivers from all over the country to express their views and exchange information . Recently i was on a union course where we had to look at genuine cases of dismissal and the appeals process . I was surprised to see how companies are now responding in regard to social networking sites . If they deem that if a worker is commenting or alluding to their business or management etc. in a detrimental manner they are quite prepared to engage said worker in the disciplinary process . People have lost their job because the company decided that comments were disrespectful and should not be in the public domain . So heads up guys. Be careful not to be too specific .

Good point Mr T.T…I’m retired, so its not going to effect me losing a job…however, employed lads should be aware… :bulb:

This has been covered so many times on here, the big boys have people employed just to follow social media sites, in my opinion if you are not happy with your company then take it up with them, don’t bad mouth them on an open forum - never bite the hand that feeds you comes to mind.

Security is something that needs bearing in mind also. Asking for parking locations or indicating destination and load could turn out to be a bad move.

brados:
This has been covered so many times on here, the big boys have people employed just to follow social media sites, in my opinion if you are not happy with your company then take it up with them, don’t bad mouth them on an open forum - never bite the hand that feeds you comes to mind.

As i am relatively new to the site couldnt see anything on this . Obviously looking in the wrong place .But a bit of a reminder doesnt hurt . Employers can have an impact out of working hours and if your jacket is on a shakey nail , think twice before slagging things off.

Agreed, I try to keep things vague. Happy enough with the agency and their customers especially the one I do most of my shifts at, if I ever wanted to go full time they’d be the first to get my CV.

I , on the other hand, would urge people to warn other drivers of cowboys that operate out there.
That’s what this site is supposed be for, these issues are of the highest interest to me.
If you want to be anonymous, set up a new profile from an internet cafe or a library as every library has computers with internet connections and every one can use them.
How else can we warn each other?
some say if you are not happy - leave.
Why would a driver need to leave if he is not the one causing troubles, if he is the one being pushed to brake the law, why would a driver need to leave?
If honest drivers leave, new come , do not get warned and if they allow themselves to be pushed around, be abused or be forced to break the law, not knowing what company they are being employed by, they will have to leave soon as well.
There has to be a way of warning each other, and if this site won’t want to accept these types of posts, we need to find some other way of warning each other.
There are plenty transport office people/company owners posting on this site under a cover of being one of us drivers, that would want to keep us quiet and do to us what they want to do to us.

OP, aren’t you by the way one unhappy transport manager/company owner trying to scare people from telling it as it is?
I would say you definitely are.
Wonder what other profile do you use on this site on daily basis.

True this…Try getting your old job back after you’ve slagged them off on here, when they’re screaming for drivers! :wink:

bigvern1:
True this…Try getting your old job back after you’ve slagged them off on here, when they’re screaming for drivers! :wink:

mobile.twitter.com/peterross66 So you don’t think Eddie will give this happy camper his job back then :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

More than likely NOT!

hkloss1:
There has to be a way of warning each other, and if this site won’t want to accept these types of posts, we need to find some other way of warning each other.

Hi hkloss1,

You’ve made some excellent points IMHO.

No matter what site(s) anybody posts to, those sites are usually viewable by lots of other people…
There is a law on defamation, so there’s then a balancing act to perform, because there’s also the right to free speech.

People commonly mix those two concepts and (very wrongly) think that it means that they can post anything they like.
A careful read of the forum rules reveals that TN will NOT tolerate the spreading of unfounded rumours, so certain types of posts are completely unacceptable. For anybody in any doubt, I’d ask them to think about what untrue (damaging) rumours about them that they’d not object to if they were plastered publicly on an internet site?

It’s perfectly acceptable to post a link to a credible story or article that says that company X has been in front of the Traffic Commissioner and lost their ‘O’ licence for fiddling drivers’ hours, or the directors were sent to prison etc.

However, it’s absolutely unacceptable to post something like “I heard company Y has been in front of the Traffic Commissioner and lost their ‘O’ licence for fiddling drivers’ hours etc” because it’s not verified. What then happens to company Y’s hitherto good reputation when the rumour is later found to be completely untrue?? What if a customer cancels a contract and drivers lost their jobs because of it?? IMHO, that wouldn’t be quite so harmless then. I’m sure we’re all aware that sometimes people post malicious rumours to get exactly that result, or for reasons of revenge even when they were the one in the wrong.

Is it any wonder that we have a law on defamation and that companies take it so seriously?
It’s the grossest form of gross misconduct to publish deliberate misinformation which could have serious consequences for a company.

However, I do agree with you that there are dodgy companies and downright bad bosses, and I think that the good companies/bosses probably accept this. The problems arise when we can’t tell whether something is true, hence the TN requirement for it to be verifiable.

IMHO, you’ve hit the nail on the head with this…

hkloss1:
There are plenty transport office people/company owners posting on this site under a cover of being one of us drivers, that would want to keep us quiet and do to us what they want to do to us.

Yes there are, but nobody knows who they are, so some will be good bosses, and some will be bad bosses, so what’s the answer??

Having thought about it and considering all things having regard to the bigger picture, I think there’s an easy suggestion…

Posters write in response to a question… “I wouldn’t work for them.” (Or similar.)
That’s free speech and an expression of an opinion, so no legal problem there.
For anybody interested, the rest of the how and why should then be dealt with in private by PMs, so the bosses don’t get to know what’s being said but yet the info is still exchanged between the drivers, and the bonus is that the lawyers don’t get to make any money from it, so everyone’s a winner!! :smiley:

In short, it’s all about verifiable truth, otherwise… let’s keep unproven stuff in private and away from public (and lawyers’) view.

hkloss1:
I , on the other hand, would urge people to warn other drivers of cowboys that operate out there.
That’s what this site is supposed be for, these issues are of the highest interest to me.
If you want to be anonymous, set up a new profile from an internet cafe or a library as every library has computers with internet connections and every one can use them.
How else can we warn each other?
some say if you are not happy - leave.
Why would a driver need to leave if he is not the one causing troubles, if he is the one being pushed to brake the law, why would a driver need to leave?
If honest drivers leave, new come , do not get warned and if they allow themselves to be pushed around, be abused or be forced to break the law, not knowing what company they are being employed by, they will have to leave soon as well.

OP, aren’t you by the way one unhappy transport manager/company owner trying to scare people from telling it as it is?
I would say you definitely are.
Wonder what other profile do you use on this site on daily basis.

Fair point. I am definitely not a TM , just another run of the mill driver trying to pay the bills and feed my family . For you to jump to conclusions about my post shows complete ignorance and arrogance . I just dont like the way the industry treat employees these days .Nowadays your only as good as your last delivery and employers have adopted a hard nose attitude . In our place you have to watch your back everyday especially if your long term . My employer now start new drivers on less pay and conditions . No one is irreplaceable .

My boss is a ■■■■■■■ ■■■■ who should never be allowed a tricycle never mind a ■■■■■■■ lorry. Useless ■■■■■

Oh hang on I’m self employed. :slight_smile:. ■■■■.

Seriously though a valid point. Just shows I spose that this industry is now just as namby pamby as the rest of the world.

How about if the firms are that worried about what their blokes are putting about on arse ache, ■■■■■■■ and the rest they start treating them in a way that would prevent said drivers wanting to call their transport manager a ■■■■■

That last [zb] was a vulgarity for my favourite place to eat out. :slight_smile:

Perhaps I should step away from the Jack Daniels

I don’t worry to much about what I post on here, or even fb if I want to call my boss a idiot or worse I will do it to his face or on his timeline on fb and he would probably like the comment :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Fergie47:
Good point Mr T.T…I’m retired, so its not going to effect me losing a job…however, employed lads should be aware… :bulb:

Hope retirements being kind to you Fergie , hope to get there myself one day . Good to see your keeping your hand in , cant beat a bit of experience ( ask any nice girl ! ). An old friend once told me . Be good to people that your close to . You never know when you`ll need them to help change your nappy . :slight_smile:

DD,Russet Red director has been in the Commercial Motor with a possible jail sentence due and RAE Logistics Ltd turned out to be a bad penny.

toby1234abc:
DD,Russet Red director has been in the Commercial Motor with a possible jail sentence due and RAE Logistics Ltd turned out to be a bad penny.

Hi Toby,

Yes, I saw that you’d posted that… IIRC, I found the link and posted it for you. :wink:

It’s a bit [zb]ing late for me then. :laughing: :laughing:
I’ve often put my mouth in gear before engaging my brain. :laughing:

Boyles transport is another case.Both directors jailed for fraud and tacho offences.Some right scoundrels out there to stay clear from.Lovable rougues is a loose term or right characters makes it ok for what they do.

gob off all you like but remember

if you stick your head above the parapet
its likely to get shot off