Roadways-Southampton

Anyone know about this company.I know they’re one of our oldest companies in the UK but I gather they are using agencies these days?Any info would be appreciated on their container division at Southamptom?

Look in the southern daily echo Sat 29/05/2010, that should answer your question.

Looks like there best kept away from.

Their drivers (44 of them ) were on strike last week cos company wanted them to take a 9% pay cut ,while admin staff and subbies were getting a rise.
All this after the drivers took a voluntary 5 % pay cut last year apparentley,management were in the echo spouting off about their drivers are best paid around for the kind of work they do and because of that they would have to run the new contracts at a loss.
so what idiot negotiated new contracts at a loss?
should fire him i reckon.

I was speaking to one of there drivers the other day outside pentalvers and he said about them having to take a pay cut and them going on strike, so if i were u i’d stay well away, plus they run zb MAN tgs’s and erf’s :frowning: and a handful of volvo fh’s but i suspect the blue eyed boys get them.

:bulb: Now then Chaps, please be careful to only post something that can be substantiated.

It can be substantiated that Roadways Container Logistics drivers are staging pickets, because I could find that info here:

Southampton’s Roadways Container Logistics on strike | Daily Echo (Friday 28th May 2010.)

LORRY drivers for Southampton’s Roadways Container Logistics are today staging pickets in a protest over pay.
Around 40 drivers for the firm are understood to be striking over plans for what they said “amounted to a 9 per cent pay cut”.

We have rules about posting rumours and gossip, and those rules are there for a very good reason. :wink:

If you’re going to post info of this nature, please provide a link, or at least say where you got it from.

dieseldave:
:idea: Now then Chaps, please be careful to only post something that can be substantiated.

It can be substantiated that Roadways Container Logistics drivers are staging pickets, because I could find that info here:

Southampton’s Roadways Container Logistics on strike | Daily Echo (Friday 28th May 2010.)

LORRY drivers for Southampton’s Roadways Container Logistics are today staging pickets in a protest over pay.
Around 40 drivers for the firm are understood to be striking over plans for what they said “amounted to a 9 per cent pay cut”.

We have rules about posting rumours and gossip, and those rules are there for a very good reason. :wink:

If you’re going to post info of this nature, please provide a link, or at least say where you got it from.

Apologies Dieseldave,i didnt mean to offend you ,saw the info in the echo and got a very good mate that drives for them.

calebs gramps:
Apologies Dieseldave,i didnt mean to offend you ,saw the info in the echo and got a very good mate that drives for them.

Hi calebs gramps, No apology is necessary mate. :smiley:
Your post was fine because you clearly said where you got the info, and it was quickly checkable. :wink:

It was in the newspaper, so if they got it wrong, it wasn’t you or I who wrote it. :wink:
Here it is in your own words:

calebs gramps:
in the echo

The issues arise when it’s something like… ‘I heard xyz from another driver’ then simply believing it and posting it on here.
How is that checkable??
Was the other driver telling the truth??
Where did he/she hear the info??
Can that source be trusted to tell the truth??
Did the ‘other driver’ or the person who posts it on here put some ‘spin’ on the story??
Or maybe this ‘other driver’ heard it from the office cleaning person who’d heard it third-hand from a guy at the pub… :unamused:

It’s all about keeping our arses covered and not leaving ourselves open to being sued. :smiley:

Thanks for the clarification dieseldave .
i totally see your point and thanks for making things clear ,ive been in this game far too long to listen to gossip so hopefully il not fall foul of the rules.
Thanks again mate,much appreciated.

dieseldave:

calebs gramps:

Hi calebs gramps, No apology is necessary mate. :smiley:
Your post was fine because you clearly said where you got the info, and it was quickly checkable. :wink:

It was in the newspaper, so if they got it wrong, it wasn’t you or I who wrote it. :wink:
Here it is in your own words:

calebs gramps:
in the echo

The issues arise when it’s something like… ‘I heard xyz from another driver’ then simply believing it and posting it on here.
How is that checkable??
Was the other driver telling the truth??
Where did he/she hear the info??
Can that source be trusted to tell the truth??
Did the ‘other driver’ or the person who posts it on here put some ‘spin’ on the story??
Or maybe this ‘other driver’ heard it from the office cleaning person who’d heard it third-hand from a guy at the pub… :unamused:

It’s all about keeping our arses covered and not leaving ourselves open to being sued. :smiley:

:blush: apologies :blush: could call me young-and dumb!! :blush: :unamused:

youngwithaclass1:
:blush: apologies :blush: could call me young-and dumb!! :blush: :unamused:

Hi youngwithaclass1, young… well yes maybe, but not dumb mate. :smiley:

It’s just that you might not have realised the need to be careful, that’s all.

Rumours can be very damaging to companies, and many of them will resort to suing people who (maybe unwittingly) say something not so good about them publicly on the forum.

Maybe the guy told you a little porkie… then the lawyers see it published (by you) on a forum then 2+2 = 5. :open_mouth: :wink:
:bulb: Mind you, all is well if you come across a real scandal and you can quote a proper source for it. :smiley: