Roadscapes

Just wanted to say what a brilliant contribution Alan Spillet makes to our industry with his paintings & prints. I expect that most people will have come across his website roadscapes.co.uk but if you haven’t it’s well worth a look. He did a painting of a wagon of mine some years ago & it’s my proudest possession. He’s also an ex driver & a real gentlemen.

Quite agree, Alan is a nice bloke and a brilliat artist with a passion for lorries. I have about forty of his prints on the walls here, also have his calender each year, a must for any nostalgic trucker.

Yes - Alan is the best artist of lorries, I have ever seen. I have most of his prints on the walls of one room in my house. He has made two paintings for me – a painting of three of our lorries hauling Llanelly Steel billets up the A483 on theSugarloaf - Price of Llandovery – Volvo F88. JGB 571N – Crusader WBX 554M – Volvo F10. TCY 260S. The second painting is of our ERF - 150 Gardner - FBX 997D going up the A40 past the Mail Coach Monument. It is hauling Cynghordy Bricks to building sites around London.
There is two pages of our history in the book that Alan is selling. Alan is a good friend of mine, - we are both lorry men.

I have a limited edition print of yor F88 coming over the Sugarloaf, also got the book. Hauled a few loads over the Sugarloaf myself, hard pull coming up from your side.
Cheers Dave.

Alan Spillett is packing up doing his prints after this year,and the calenders next year.He will only be doing original paintings. If you don’t want to miss out on a print,have a look on his website.roadscapes.co.uk/

I have just recieved Alans latest price list and order form. I will definately be buying a couple of his latest calenders, one for me & one for my old man.
I also have a copy of his book, and it really is superb. I think he may do another ( if were lucky ) and i would certainly buy a copy.
Also, i dont actually know Alan personly, but when i phoned him up with an enquiry we ended up talking for almost an hour!
What a nice chap.

Hi Mark,
Spoke to Alan today,he will provide the paintings for another book,but won’t do the book himself. He certainly has enough material for another one,if its half as good as the first,it will be worth waiting for.
Cheers Dave.

Can’t agree more - I’ve also been getting Alan’s calendars for years and the book is fabulous. Mine arrived with a very small bit of damage to the slip-case where the idiot postman tried to force it through the letterbox. I mentioned it to Alan at the Jim Marshall Memorial Gathering at Crick Truckstop, and within minutes he came back with a new copy for me, which he insisted I accepted, even though the damage was nothing to do with him. What a Diamond he is - I will certainly support him with orders for as long as he keeps doing his thing.

Sounds as if Alan is finishing with the calenders after next years,if you look on this years order form,you can only order them now. I think they will be a collecters item in years to come.

Just opened Alan’s 2010 calendar which is as brilliant as ever. As far as i am concerned he already has my order for 2011!
He has painted two of our wagons (Black Mountain Foods - MANs) & they are the first things I would grab if the house were on fire…

despite what the media want to whip up into a national disaster (i.e the weather), i posted my order and cheque on monday evening and received the book in this morning’s post - well done alan and royal mail, especially being out in west wales :smiley: not opened it yet though, treat for tonight :grimacing:

I spoke to Alan tonight,he’s only got a few prints left,also taking no more commissions for new paintings,so get in quick if you want a peice of transport history.