Road Wars

Just watching Thames Valleys finest fighting the forces of darkness and one of them asked the young scrote in the chavmobile if he had any I.D. Chav replied he didn’t, so the cop then says “well there’s our first problem then”.

Now unless I was asleep that day, I’m sure in this country that it’s not legally required that we carry I.D. I may, of course be wrong, so c’mon guys, enlighten me please.

i read it as the copper just says its a problem, the first of what sounds like its going to be many. but not having seen the program i dont want to judge to much. :wink:

If he cant prove who he is then they will take him to the cop shop and fnd out their. The fuzz are starting to use hand held fingerprint scanners nicknamed lanterns, that saves taking em to the cop shop to id them.

It is not that fact they the driver did not have ID but is that the officer has suspicions about the person and ‘believes’ that what they are telling them is not the truth.

In this type of situation the police can detain the person until their true identity is confirmed.

It’s the same for say, a rowdy pedestrian youth on a Saturday night.

This day & age everyone has some form of ID on them, or at least should… Everyone has NI card, bank cards and most have drivers licences etc…

The trouble is that the youngsters just dont give a flying “F” today. It’s you can’t do this or that to me and the coppers just have to take it most of the time. We think we’ve got it tough, I wouldn’t be a copper for a £1000 a week.

the maoster:
Just watching Thames Valleys finest fighting the forces of darkness and one of them asked the young scrote in the chavmobile if he had any I.D. Chav replied he didn’t, so the cop then says “well there’s our first problem then”.

Now unless I was asleep that day, I’m sure in this country that it’s not legally required that we carry I.D. I may, of course be wrong, so c’mon guys, enlighten me please.

…it is,however, a legal requirement under the Road Traffic Act for all drivers in this country to be able to produce, on request by a police officer, their driving licence, certificate of insurance and MOT certificate (if appropriate to the vehicle). If you don’t have all of these documents with you, you commit an offence. Obviously it’s not always practical to carry all your docs about (especially drivers of company vehicles are certainly not going to be carrying the insurance and MOT docs with them). Some of you may have been given a “producer” by the cops at some stage (I’ve had loads!). What’s happening there is that you are being reported for summons for not being able to produce your docs to the nice officer at the roadside. However, you don’t get prosecuted if you produce your docs to a copshop of your choice within 7 days from midnight on the day you get stopped. If you fail to stump up your docs at the nick or you can’t 'cos you don’t have insurance etc, then you get a summons for Court.

So, if this “scrote” hasn’t got any id…then he doesn’t have any driving docs with him, he’s committed a “moving road traffic offence” and if he doesn’t have any other form of identification, it most definitely IS a “problem” as the officer can’t ascertain his true identity. The usual scenario is once this has been explained and they get told they will be arrested and put in a cell until the officer ascertains their true identity…you’d be amazed at just how many people “remember” they have a driving licence or credit/debit card on them! :laughing:

Remember…ignorance of the law is not a viable defence in Court.

I wasn’t having a pop at the officers concerned Shrek, and I certainly wouldn’t dream of questioning your knowledge of the law. It just seemed a bit odd to me at the time of watching. I’ve been pulled in the truck a fair few times and have always had my licence and ADR with me, it was just that I remembered being pulled in a few times while younger, having no docs or ID and merely being given the old HORT1 form. It never seemed to be a problem way back when. But the world no doubt has moved on from then.

Ah the good old days… dons rose tinted spectacles etc.

I reckon he can take you Maoster.

He was having a go Shrekster, honest indian, I know him and hes a trouble maker, I’d get your truncheon out and give him a few good whacks over the napper. Maybe a good swift size 10 to the Nads for good measure…

Shrek:

…it is,however, a legal requirement under the Road Traffic Act for all drivers in this country to be able to produce, on request by a police officer, their driving licence, certificate of insurance and MOT certificate (if appropriate to the vehicle). If you don’t have all of these documents with you, you commit an offence. Obviously it’s not always practical to carry all your docs about (especially drivers of company vehicles are certainly not going to be carrying the insurance and MOT docs with them). Some of you may have been given a “producer” by the cops at some stage (I’ve had loads!). What’s happening there is that you are being reported for summons for not being able to produce your docs to the nice officer at the roadside. However, you don’t get prosecuted if you produce your docs to a copshop of your choice within 7 days from midnight on the day you get stopped. If you fail to stump up your docs at the nick or you can’t 'cos you don’t have insurance etc, then you get a summons for Court.

And this to me is where the law is an ■■■. :unamused: :unamused:

We are constantly reminded to protect ourselves against ID theft
and the law requires us to carry 2 govt issued docs which someone could use to steal your ID.
There is no way my reg doc and insurance docs are ever going to be carried in my car for that very reason.
The driving licence is in my wallet however. So just as well we have the producer form.