Rigid and car trailer

Hi guys.

WHEN/If the 5 car transporter ever arrives at our place for me they are thinking about having a normal 50mm tow bar fitted so i can pull a single car trailer. The trailer will be around 2t gross.

Am i correct in saying this is now a C+E license requirement? If so, its not a problem as I’ve got my class 1 but they will have to put their hands a little deeper in their pockets if I’m correct on this.

Paul

Also, is it law too carry a height staff so I can measure the transporter everytime i load as cars vary in height?

I never carried one. in 20 years on transporters.

If a tow ball is fitted then 100% cast iron you will need C+E to tow any trailer above 750kg’s.

If you were to have a spec lift fitted . . . . the issue becomes very cloudy !

A height staff isn’t a legal requirement.

I measured my last 6 car transporter as 13’3" to the top of the over cab handrails, measure to the highest fixed point & if needs be, use that as the benchmark to measure anything higher.

Experience soon taught me what vehicles could go up on the top deck but I used to carry a standard everyday tape measure for the occasional oddballs.

my single car trailer grosses 3.5 tonne
and at times it needs too

i drive a 7.5 tonne Isuzu gross 11t

Thanks for the replys. So it looks like they’ll be paying out morer then. :laughing:

I did think about measuring the empty truck and then measuring off from there to find the height. I think I’ll just do it that way.

Thanks agian