Towing question

So question time. Had some time to myself and wondered if a recovery truck driver towing an immobilised vehicle on say an under lift would need a C+E licence or get away with doing that on a C? Does the broken down vehicle count as a trailer? Or would it depend how the broken down vehicle was being towed I.e straight bar, rope, underlift etc?

redstormrising:
So question time. Had some time to myself and wondered if a recovery truck driver towing an immobilised vehicle on say an under lift would need a C+E licence or get away with doing that on a C? Does the broken down vehicle count as a trailer? Or would it depend how the broken down vehicle was being towed I.e straight bar, rope, underlift etc?

They’ll all mostly have c+e anyway, in case they need to tow a caravan if they’re in a vehicle that requires c to start with. Could tow up to 750kg weight on the vehicle being towed’s axle on the ground any way on a C, like on the 18ton rigids that take cars to the auctions.

80 feet long, 70 ton and bends twice in the middle. What do you think? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

redstormrising:

Technically,if you had a “class 2” licence(passed before 1st Jan 1997),you are qualified to tow. My ex boss only had a Class 2,gained on nationsl service no less,and he was still recovering trucks on underlifts into his 70’s. Me?I preferred a Class 1,less hassle with policemen who weren’t quite as clued up as they ought to be.

Tow a rigid on a class 2 yeah, wagon and drag.

With an artic on the hook, you’re towing 2 trailers - you’re not a rigid, wag n drag, or artic, you’re into locomotive territory.

cieranc:
Tow a rigid on a class 2 yeah, wagon and drag.

With an artic on the hook, you’re towing 2 trailers - locomotive rules.

Locomotive rules??

What’s these? :confused:

also known as showman’s rule’s, allow’s people to tow more than 1 vehicle, a-la fairground ride’s.