Restriced or standard

A friend of mine is quoting for a job collecting wood waste. He currently has a a restricted license and thinks that this will suffice as he will be using the wood waste in his business. I think he now needs a standard O license as he is bidding for the work and getting paid to remove this. If he was to pay for the waste for his business then I would agree that a restricted license would be ok. Your thought please.

is he buying the wood waste before he moves it or is he being paid to move it ?

he is being paid to remove it and the job is open to anyone else to qoute for the work.

Fileep:
he is being paid to remove it and the job is open to anyone else to qoute for the work.

then i think you are correct he needs standard .

we had the same problem where i used to work we were moving someone elses scrap metal before we bought it and we were on a restricted , when i pointed it out to my boss they changed the contract wording to to be on the safe side …

I’ve just asked a similar question to VOSA,

Basically if he own the wood waste then a Restricted licence is fine.

So the question is this, does he own the wood when it’s on his truck?

If the contract is worded in such a way that the wood waste becomes his property when it is loaded into his lorry then a restricted licence will be OK.

If the wood waste belongs to anyone else while it is in the lorry then he will need a standard licence.

This is how skip hire companies manage with restricted licences - the contract they have with the skip hirer states that anything that goes in the skip becomes their property.

Paul

bowser:

Fileep:

Being paid to remove it or not isn’t the issue here. Skip hire companies are paid to remove skips full of rubbish however they still only need a restricted licence as their terms clearly state that anything that is put in the skip becomes their property. As long as the waste becomes this chap’s property when it is loaded into the truck then a restricted licence will suffice.

Paul

Thanks for the replies, it looks like it’s all in the details. I will let him know. Thanks again.

repton:

bowser:

Fileep:

Being paid to remove it or not isn’t the issue here. Skip hire companies are paid to remove skips full of rubbish however they still only need a restricted licence as their terms clearly state that anything that is put in the skip becomes their property. As long as the waste becomes this chap’s property when it is loaded into the truck then a restricted licence will suffice.

Paul

handy to know paul, i have a ■■■■ load of scrap tyres so i will hire a skip, load it up and ring em and tell em to get their property out of my yard :smiley:

this is very easy to sort out.
as it stands at the moment, he needs a standard national licence.
however, there is a way round it.
all he needs is another company name (which isn’t a haulier) that gets paid to move it, that company is then paid for the product by the company with the restricted licence.
simples.