Registering Euro 4 upgrades abroad

Does anyone have any experience in running with a Euro 3 to 4 upgrade on mainland EU? I am looking to upgrade Euro 3 engines with a filter system, but will need to make sure the products are recognised over the water. I have indicated ‘country approved’ products from dealers but wonder whether anyone has first-hand experience?

Is the RPC given in the UK enough proof for TUV in Germany and others? Am I likely to persuade the friendly Swiss border official that my truck is now a Euro 4 ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards

Plambert:
Am I likely to persuade the friendly Swiss border official that my truck is now a Euro 4 ?

Almost certainly not, as your truck will not be Euro-4 compliant even after fitting the filter.

The aftermarket filters are designed to reduce the ‘Particulate Matter’ of a non Euro-4 vehicle to Euro-4 standards, but it does not necessarily reduce the Nitrogen Oxide, Hydrocarbon, Smoke or Carbon Monoxide levels down to Euro-4 standards.

If all that was required to make them Euro-4 compatible was to reduce the PM levels, then the trucks would also automatically be Euro-5 compliant as well since the PM thresholds are the same at Euro-4 and Euro-5 for heavy trucks.

All the aftermarket/retrofit filter systems do is reduce the Particulate Matter emmissions down to a level which is deemed to be acceptable for entry to the London LEZ (or the various other city E-zones scattered around the mainland), it does not reduce the overall emissions levels to Euro-4 standards.

I believe that the Germans accept some of these retrofit solutions in order to get the lower (euro-4) MAUT rate, but that is a unique dispensation and not based on the trucks meeting Euro-4 emmissions levels after the retrofit.

A friend of mine has fitted one to a 2004 volvo FH12 and it now has a euro 4 sticker in the screen, so he must have had it certified somewhere. i will ask him this week, but I think the Volvo agent sorted the paperwork.

I think it says it somewhere on the V5 too, so you will have to send that off to DVLA, check if your current one shows it as Euro3…

Thanks for the replies. I guess the RPC should be transferable into different languages so it can prove ‘Euro 4 part’ compatibility. From what I understand TUV will recognise the LEZ compliant upgrades but have had conflicting messages whether the product needs to be type approved for the country in question. Some manufacturers are telling me one thing and others another.

Having sat on the phone for the last two days I would have thought I would be nearer clarity - but perhaps not.

The Austrians do NOT recognise retrofitted systems. It is based solely on the year of registration. The same applies to the Blanc and Frejus.