Reefs diary so far

Well thought i’d give it a go.
At least if you dont like it i can skip thurs and fri :smiley:

BTW pic quality drops by end of day 1 coz batteries ran out on digi camera and had to resort to phone for pics…

Monday 19th Sept 2005…

All i knew this morning was that i had a 07:30 tip in Telford … Easy eh!! :confused:
But i knew that there would be more involved than that so when i got into the yard this morning at 03:30 and picked up my paperwork and keys i was not really that surprised to find that i had 2 tips in Telford 1 tip in Aldridge and 1 tip in coleshill
plus a collection in Frankley… Still not too bad could’ve been a lot worse for a monday :unamused:

So all the usual first thing routine with the added job of fueling 2 completly empty fuel tanks (pump wasn’t working friday evening) I was off on my merry way …

Headed up towards Brecon then along to Leominster past Shrewsbury to telford in a very respectable 2hrs and 50 mins to my 1st Telford drop, I do this one quite regularly so no problems here and the boys are tidy enough too (although i did get told off by security on the way out for smoking in my cab, new rule apparently) :unamused:

So that over and done with time to buy a Telford map to find my 2nd drop so i went to the services off of J4 of the 54

on the way in saw this on the R/about… :open_mouth:

Nasty!!

Anyway map purchased and im on my way back the way i came, to within 1/2 a mile of my 1st drop :unamused: (sods law eh!!) So back down the 54 to J6 and i arrive at my second tip at 08:40, No problems here 5 black poly wrapped pallets lifted and im away by 08:55.

Right then Aldridge next so back onto the 54 down the 6 (for 1 Jct) and according to my map book its pretty straightforward,
Found the place ok turned into what i thought was an Ind Estate turns out its just a side access to the factory and a dead and with no room to turn around,

Once i was tipped i strapped down the pallets for my last tip as they have a tendancy to fall over and then i changed mode on my tacho and took my 45 min.

Had to reverse out onto a main road (which i find is a good observation test for the car driving muppets will they see a ruddy great red artic with 4 ways flashing creeping out backwards right in front of them?) Anyway no real drama there and off i go to tip No 4.

Right back onto the 6 south bound (this time joining at J7 to miss all the usual traffic at the M6/M5 junction) and im heading for coleshill off at J4 and onto the chester road (which is where the Garden centre im delivering to is)
Got greeted with "Are you booked in? :imp: " With which i reply "i dunno :confused: " (they like that answer) "I’ll check my computer :imp: " said he.
"No your not :smiling_imp: " he says walking back out (actually grinning happy in the knowledge that he wont have to tip me) “Oh hang on” i say "booked in with simon ref33554 is that what you mean :wink: :slight_smile: :smiley: :laughing: " Says I as if butter wouldn’t melt in my mouth, "Oh :frowning: " He says (grin dissapears) “thats alright then i s’pose”. And that was that left there at 12 noon, no pics of this tip coz … well i forgot actually. :blush:

Now im empty its time for my collection at Frankley where im meeting another of our drivers (Wynn) were collecting stock new parts for Rover which we took in and now obviously are not needed anymore,

So Wynn loaded our trailers (coz all the staff have been laid off) and then we set off back to the yard in convoy.

Dropped the trailer, fueled up, washed my unit and went home at 17:30…

Tuesday 20th Sept 2005…

In at 02:00 this morning im off to Blaydon nr Newcastle today with a reload in Jarrow. So all checks done and im off up the heads of the valley M50 M5 M42 A42 M1 M18 A1M A194M A184 and arrived at 09:35. I was warned by one of the other drivers to reverse in as its a cow to get back out of if you drive in but it wasn,t that easy to reverse in as there was a van parked on my blindside a bit of shunting and i was in.

Curtains open and handball these rolls of foam (which are surprisingly heavy) off.

Job done and im back on the road by 10:15 on my way to Jarrow for my reload.
This is when things started to go a bit pearshaped and i ended up driving aimlessly arround Jarrow looking for the Simonside Ind estate :imp: , I seemed to find signs for every other Ind estate in the area except the one i wanted. :imp: :imp:
A couple of “S’cuse me mate where the ruddy hecks …” later and i was there at an acceptable 11:20, Where i sat behind this guy for an hour ,

Then when he went i was told by the forklift driver he was going for lunch and wont load me till 13:00. :confused: :open_mouth: :unamused:
By 13:25 i was loaded buckled up and collecting my paperwork, all that remained for me to do was hammer it down the A1M and M18 to get to the stockyard in Rotherham for the night which i arrived at 16:35 pulled my card did my paperwork (posted on truck.net) ate some grub hit the shower then had a pint (for 40p cant fault it) then goodnight ZZZzzzzz…

Wednesday 21st Sept 2005…

Urrrggh!! Wednesday 01:30 came far to quickly for my liking… Kettle on, Teeth brushed, tea made, ■■■ rolled, tacho in for 02:00 and im off heading for Swansea via the yard M18 M1 A42 M42 M5 M50 Heads of… oh you get the idea.
Got to the yard at 06:10 fueled up made another cuppa (had a natter with some of the lads) and headed into Swansea to tip at 08:00.

All done by 08:30 time for breakfast at the cafe up the road.
Now i was meant to reload at Ystradgynlais for Bicester which would have insured me another night out But the muppets at my office got it wrong and the load wouldnt be ready till 14:00 (i arrived at 09:40) :unamused: so after sitting around waiting for them to phone me back for an hour they pulled me out and i spent the rest of the day doing local trailer swaps , :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:
Then went home at 16:00 (very tired)… :frowning:

A very good Read that mate. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Now get the rest done stop slacking :smiling_imp:

well what does one say a nice post and the pictures were alright as well

i might not drive anymore but I too love reading these day by day or blow by blow accounts of the working week.

BRILLIANT !

thanks for amusing an ex driver & jack of all trades (master of none) :slight_smile:

Nice one. Good to see a Welsh truckers diary!

Thanks for a good read and the pics.
regards derek

Good read and pics too

Cheers Ben :sunglasses:

Hey Reef - we must have passed once or twice between Brum and the M4. I’m in a white “Fast Forward” Actros with Palletline double-decker, and NO Bertie Bassett on the front!
Usually leave Brum between 0300 and 0400 - Giz a wave ■■■■!

Good read :smiley: . Nearly as good as one of mine :smiling_imp: .

Nice read :wink:

Very good read and pic’s :slight_smile:

Nice one reef.

Good read Reef :smiley:

Thanks very much :slight_smile: Nice read of your travels from Mansel Davies Country :slight_smile: :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile:

Next time; Don’t forget spare batteries :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Good read and nice pics :smiley:

Good read that m8. But I have a query, if you started at 03.30 wouldn’t you come under the night time rules whereby you couldn’t work for more than 10 hours and so wouldn’t be able to finish work at 17.30? Perhaps Coffeeholic may be able to help. :wink:

:smiley: Lovely diary…it would be… if it was finished… …like as of TODAY.
You big tease. :imp:

penfold:
Good read that m8. But I have a query, if you started at 03.30 wouldn’t you come under the night time rules whereby you couldn’t work for more than 10 hours and so wouldn’t be able to finish work at 17.30? Perhaps Coffeeholic may be able to help. :wink:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Perhaps Coffeeholic wouldn’t. :wink: :smiley:

I know very little about the WTD/RTD, or whatever it is called. It doesn’t affect me so have only seen, or read odd bits about it. I do recall something about the night working thing not applying if there is a workplace agreement but I’m not sure.

On the other hand maybe Reef is just doing what the rest of Europe is doing and ignoring the thing. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

penfold:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Perhaps Coffeeholic wouldn’t. :wink: :smiley:

I know very little about the WTD/RTD, or whatever it is called. It doesn’t affect me so have only seen, or read odd bits about it. I do recall something about the night working thing not applying if there is a workplace agreement but I’m not sure.

On the other hand maybe Reef is just doing what the rest of Europe is doing and ignoring the thing. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Yes your right about the opt out coffeeholic … (so our transport office tell us anyway but i wouldnt put anything past them)
95% of our drivers start ealy hours … the joy of living in the middle of nowhere im afraid…

jacqueline:
:smiley: Lovely diary…it would be… if it was finished… …like as of TODAY.
You big tease. :imp:

Sorry … :frowning:

The missus is a bit jumpy about me bein on the pc this weekend …“your out all ruddy week then you come home and spend more time on the pc than with me” sorta thing…

I have pics for thurs but not for friday as my phone was playing silly buggers and wouldnt take pics saying i had no memory available (turns out the memory card was slightly dislodged) but didnt sus it out til sat afternoon
will finish it off later (missus allowing of course :unamused: )