Realistic costs for owner drivers please!

Hi
Would be most grateful if anyone could give some realistic costs for running one truck (38-44 ton) on various work. Costs required are insurance, fuel, repairs and maintenece and any other costs involved. As I am just starting out will this affect insurance etc? Also wondering whether it is worth having a 44 tonner or if costs outweigh profits. Any help/advice much appreciated on this matter.
Just another question! Does anyone know anything about these schemes with hanbury davies/ maritime where you get the truck through them and also get guarenteed mileage/ work per week? These sound good to me for starting up so just wondering how it all works out…Thanks & all the best.

QAMAAMB.

Speedy:
QAMAAMB.

Did you miss us rob? :laughing:

:bulb: Ah HA! Now I get it! :laughing:

well thanks for those helpful replys !!! :frowning:

Hi Marky,
Have a look through this forum, 'cause pretty much everything you need to know has been covered at some point.

• Marky -:
    Costs required are insurance

This is a very personal thing, based on you, your circumstances, motor and work etc.

• Marky -:
    fuel .

Again, this will depend on how many miles you are looking to cover, what the motor will return and what loads your hauling.

• Marky -:
    repairs and maintenece and any other costs involved

If I could estimate these, I’d be a whole lot richer than I am now. :laughing:

• Marky -:
    As I am just starting out will this affect insurance etc?

Yes.

• Marky -:
    Also wondering whether it is worth having a 44 tonner or if costs outweigh profits.

That again, depends on what work you are intending to do, however the tri axle unit @ 44 tons will not only cost less to tax than a 4x2 @40 but also allows you more flexability, pays your money, takes your choice.

• Marky -:
    Just another question! Does anyone know anything about these schemes with hanbury davies/ maritime where you get the truck through them and also get guarenteed mileage/ work per week? These sound good to me for starting up so just wondering how it all works out…Thanks & all the best.

I would have thought that this route is quite a big step, as the kit will be expensive, Maritime are trying to flog me 95XF SSC on 03’s @ £44K :open_mouth: Take the work but getting yourself a cheap unit is probably the way to go, until you find your feet and decide that its really for you. Some will disagree…just wait and see :wink: :laughing:
Good luck.

Oh, and BTW, the QAMAAMB is a reference to an earier post from a driver who had a downer on O/D’s cause he hadn’t the bottle to give it a go.

Quid A Mile And A Mars Bar = what we are all running around for. :unamused:

marky, you have a pm

paul b : you have pm …most helpful

tramper : thanks for the info and revealing the mystery of QAMAAMB !!!

Marky I have a rule that I have to invoice at least £1500 every week this pays all my costs and leaves me a few quid for myself. If your costs are more than this then don’t go for it.

Personally I love the life and although there are the ups and downs you have always got sites like this to let off steam knowing the majority of others here understand.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do :wink:

funnyfut:
Marky I have a rule that I have to invoice at least £1500 every week this pays all my costs and leaves me a few quid for myself. If your costs are more than this then don’t go for it.

Same applies for me, £1500 is the basis I invoice for anything above that puts more into the profit pot… raining day money, cos believe me you will need it, new alternator this week for example :smiling_imp:
shop around for your insurance, the costs can be dramatically different

good luck mate

Insurance:

Cramlington was the cheapest by far for me.

Xf running at 44t, , parked in West mids.

They were about half of everyone else who quoted!!

Phone number 0500 777770. The man to speak to is Trevor.

And , no Trevor isnt a relation of mine , He just saved me loads of cash.

Hope it helps

Martin