Real world running costs

After much going back and forth, and many months consideration I have finally decided to ignore all the switched on logical people and put 3 units on the road!
Obviously I haven’t gone in blind, I have secured a reasonable UK contract, and spent many many hours with the accountant and family working out how the hell I can make my dream a reality!
The thing that has got me is the actual running costs these days of trucks, and how things have changed from when I got into driving only 10 years ago.
When all considered of asset depreciation, maintenance, fuel, adblue, wages, tolls, overnight parking, a bit in the bank for when it all goes ■■■■ up and a tiny bit of profit, your looking at around £1.50 per mile.
I am very lucky in that I don’t have any bank loans and have managed to purchase good units at a reasonable price, but if I had a loan I just couldn’t see a way of making money, in fact I would be loosing big time!
Are my calculations wrong?? If not how do the subbys that do it for £1 and a mars bar make a living??

No, I think your calculations are about right.

A friend of mine commented that you can tell who has weekly payments to make and who hasn’t.
Those that don’t are doing very little, to avoid working for the unsustainable rates that the others have to accept
to prevent the truck and/or trailer being snatched back.

Regards,
Nick.

have you just started and put 3 on the road straight away

lee mat:

Yes it is the contract requirement, it was either that or put 1 on and sub out the other 2. 2 of the units are single driver tramping and the last one is driven by 2 brothers who run a 4 on 4 off system. It works well

Hope you got a healthy bank balance or good payment terms as they are a massive money pit.

kr79:
Hope you got a healthy bank balance or good payment terms as they are a massive money pit.

Got a contract with an 8 week payment term, it’s not the best but the rates are reasonable so it’s worth using some extra working capital and waiting

MysonVinnie:

lee mat:

Yes it is the contract requirement, it was either that or put 1 on and sub out the other 2. 2 of the units are single driver tramping and the last one is driven by 2 brothers who run a 4 on 4 off system. It works well

bloody hell you been quick only last week you didnt have a truck

3 motors for 8 weeks that’s got to work out between 40 and 50k even without finance payments.
So that plus buying three euro 4 motors minimum 20k more if they are scania or Volvo. Big risk for little return. I would have tried the betting shop better chance of making a good return.
From kr79 a cynical and skint o/d. In new to it and I already sound like rob k god help me.

kr79:
3 motors for 8 weeks that’s got to work out between 40 and 50k even without finance payments.
So that plus buying three euro 4 motors minimum 20k more if they are scania or Volvo. Big risk for little return. I would have tried the betting shop better chance of making a good return.
From kr79 a cynical and skint o/d. In new to it and I already sound like rob k god help me.

It is a huge risk, and I could make a far greater return on many other ventures, but I’m a trucker, always have been and always will be, and as said before ‘I have a dream’ if it works then great! This is something I have always wanted to do, and yes the reason I have wanted too is because I am a dreamer! I am a grafter and have managed to get the money together by saving hard and working silly hours and this is my reward. I have also given 3 other unemployed drivers a job, and hope that the rewards for this come my way!
By the way the units are daf euro 4 from a fleet upgrade and I got them for a lot less than 20k however the 8 week figure is more like £80k!

You doing uk or euro work?
Good luck you you’ll need it. :smiley:

kr79:

All UK, looked at euro with solstor but it wasn’t going to work out.

Best of luck to you but 60 days payment terms are outrageous in this day and age

You could factor it if you don’t want to wait, they usually charge 3%.

MysonVinnie:

kr79:

Didn’t you say you were looking at running walking floors to Spain?

jdc:

MysonVinnie:

kr79:

That was with the old boss / partner, who unfortunately burnt me! Nothing worse than being turned over by someone who you trusted and had known as a friend for over 10 years!! I helped him build that business, looked at, costed sought and gained contracts and ran contracts for him, only for one day to come in to work to find he had taken the lot and moved to Poland with his new girlfriend. He left his wife and 3 children with bugger all! Just up and left without word to anyone! ■■■■■■■■■■
Still that was a few months ago, we all learn and move on. I suppose everything happens for a reason!

MysonVinnie:

jdc:

MysonVinnie:

kr79:

That was with the old boss / partner, who unfortunately burnt me! Nothing worse than being turned over by someone who you trusted and had known as a friend for over 10 years!! I helped him build that business, looked at, costed sought and gained contracts and ran contracts for him, only for one day to come in to work to find he had taken the lot and moved to Poland with his new girlfriend. He left his wife and 3 children with bugger all! Just up and left without word to anyone! [zb]!!!
Still that was a few months ago, we all learn and move on. I suppose everything happens for a reason!

Sure does, a lot of those Polish birds are well fit, its as good a reason as any :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Stanley Mitchell:

MysonVinnie:

jdc:

MysonVinnie:

kr79:

That was with the old boss / partner, who unfortunately burnt me! Nothing worse than being turned over by someone who you trusted and had known as a friend for over 10 years!! I helped him build that business, looked at, costed sought and gained contracts and ran contracts for him, only for one day to come in to work to find he had taken the lot and moved to Poland with his new girlfriend. He left his wife and 3 children with bugger all! Just up and left without word to anyone! [zb]!!!

Sure does, a lot of those Polish birds are well fit, its as good a reason as any :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

until they discover john smiths and donar kebabs ( sounds like a dodgy couple ) :grimacing:

MysonVinnie:

jdc:

MysonVinnie:

kr79:

That would be Simon then?

Wheel Nut:

MysonVinnie:

jdc:

MysonVinnie:

kr79:

That would be Simon then?

Do you know where he is then? It would be lovely to have a chat with him and explain why he can’t be such a ■■■■■

MysonVinnie:
only for one day to come in to work to find he had taken the lot and moved to Poland with his new girlfriend. He left his wife and 3 children with bugger all! Just up and left without word to anyone! [zb]!!!

Looks like the Midfield General took over the running there…a lot of those Polish birds are pretty hot alright. This story makes a change from hearing about a poor sod being kicked out and then raped repeatedly by a bunch of divorce solicitors,and ultimately running the business into the ground…