Radio 2 axes midnight to 3am shows

toby1234abc:
Radio Manchester Bbc is very good with late night phone with How Do Alan Beswick who speaks his mind to drunk callers .
I like radio Berkshire , lots ex Radio one dj,s on there along with Anne Diamond.

Don’t think rad Berks is going to trouble my dainty ears but am wondering about the ex rad 1 contingent,in a snake fascinated way old bean.Care to elaborate ?

yourhavingalarf:
Suggestion…

Just play records back to back with announcement of artist and song title only. An eclectic mix of 60s 70s 80s 90s.

This what radio used to do before DJs and their ‘posses or sidekicks’ became the focus and the music (which is why we tune in in the first place) was put firmly on the back seat.

But then Helmet Evans can’t talk about himself and Steve Wright won’t be able to have his bum-chum chunter inane drivvel at us.

Have you noticed that crap presenters talk about themselves while “patter merchants” have no need to?

A.

WOW. 42 posts and nobody has mentioned the saviour of radio yet, Chris Moyles for Radio 2.

Ken.

On 693 and 909 medium wave there is a programme called “up all night” on for several hours overnight during the week which I find interesting.

No music, but loads of items from around the world. Passes the time…

Quinny:
WOW. 42 posts and nobody has mentioned the saviour of radio yet, Chris Moyles for Radio 2.

Ken.

… that would see me off then!

Whatever became of Alex’s ‘truck writing season’■■

toby1234abc:
Radio Manchester Bbc is very good with late night phone with How Do Alan Beswick who speaks his mind to drunk callers .

I think I caught the end of one of his shows one night on the way back up north.
Some drunk ■■■■ called and started calling him names and the presenter was ripping the ■■■■ out of him in a subtle way and the guy was too hammered to realise it.
i thought that was pretty funny.

SO what would peoples ideal radio listening day/night be to get you through a whole shift or just keep you entertained?
Mine would personally be Scott mills on breakfast prefer him in that slot probably just have my own music mid morning as don’t think you get Alan Partridges mid morning matters in real life :laughing: early afternoon Mark and Lard used to really like them and also Chris Moyles in his old afternoon slot preferred him there, also try and squeeze the Archers in too I used to HATE radio 4 when I was younger but coming around to it lately :open_mouth: for evening or night shows used to like the rockshow with Mary Ann Hobbs.
That’s just my idea of half decent listening and I really just prefer my own music lately. I do like the idea of trying to learn a language as well.

Doctor Karl Kruselnicki is on late night bbc radio five ,next on 3 to 4 am Jan 19th.
Titled ask Doctor Karl, callers ask him about science .
Well worth listening to .
He has about five degrees .He simplifies the answers ,a very intelligent man .

toby1234abc:
Doctor Karl Kruselnicki is on late night bbc radio five ,next on 3 to 4 am Jan 19th.
Titled ask Doctor Karl, callers ask him about science .
Well worth listening to .
He has about five degrees .He simplifies the answers ,a very intelligent man .

I used to like listening to Dr Karl when I used to do nights, you’re right he’s a very intelligent and interesting bloke.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread,I’ve got British Radio app.
One of the stations available is LBC,and Monday to Thursday,at 7pm,you can listen to the Nigel Farage show…what a pleasant change to listen to someone not afraid to speak his mind,instead of the PC crap that you get from other talk radio :smiley: :smiley:
Can’t wait until they sign old Trumpers up :laughing: :laughing:

The big prob with Radio 2 is that the presenters are people with long-term, wonderfully well-paid jobs for as long as they want them . . . it all becomes about keeping the boss and the channel happy, and nuts to the listeners . . .

Remember Simon Bates? All he wanted to talk about was the farm . .

Maximum 2 year contract . . .and someone take out a contract on Steve Wright . . .

Used to like Radio 2 but not any more.
Phone apps are the way for me.
My favourite is Radio Paradise, based in USA but they play lots of different types of music.
It’s a bit like Later with Jules Holland type stuff if you know what I mean,
bit of modern country, some English stuff like Dire Straits,
Tears for Fears, Elbow, some world music, lots of diversity. Oh, and no adverts.
Love it.

Years ago the Steve Wright show had Mr Angry call in, this was so funny, I never knew who the actor was .
He would rant and rave and get so angry that he would hang up .
Lately Ask Elvis is good, he sings and answers callers questions in a fun way .
Vine with the annoying allotment section and the annoying Welsh man with a bad phone signal, stood in a field banging vegetables together so listeners can hear that, live on air .
Veltz who talks so fast, she doesn’t breathe .

RB84:
SO what would peoples ideal radio listening day/night be to get you through a whole shift or just keep you entertained?
Mine would personally be Scott mills on breakfast prefer him in that slot probably just have my own music mid morning as don’t think you get Alan Partridges mid morning matters in real life :laughing: early afternoon Mark and Lard used to really like them and also Chris Moyles in his old afternoon slot preferred him there, also try and squeeze the Archers in too I used to HATE radio 4 when I was younger but coming around to it lately :open_mouth: for evening or night shows used to like the rockshow with Mary Ann Hobbs.
That’s just my idea of half decent listening and I really just prefer my own music lately. I do like the idea of trying to learn a language as well.

Scott mills is good and is getting to the “a bit old for radio 1” stage…
But I don’t think he would fit in with how radio 2 has gone now…
If Ken Bruce ever goes I won’t listen at all as his show is the only time I tune in.
A few years ago I never turned radio 2 off either…

I drive nights and haven’t listened to Radio 2 for many years, there is far better content out there for free.

Get yourself an Ipod or similar and download a load of podcasts and take those with you, the BBC website is very good and then there are the countless internet based radio stations, splash the cash on some very good bluetooth headphones and believe me Radio 2 will soon become a distant memory.

Radar19:
People listen to the radio?

prefer my wireless

neilh:
If you want a petition, there’s one at Save Live Overnight Radio on Radio 2 | 38 Degrees

No idea whether it will work - best we can do is try

I see Alex L has signed - I wonder who that could be :slight_smile:

I’ve spent a fair whack of time listening to the Dark lord and Janice, love both their shows over the years, loved mark and lard back in the day, don’t mind Chris Evans, Jeremy vine I can stand to a point sometimes, love Ken Bruce’s show, love listening to Steve Wright still always a good show, Mayo’s drive time always liked etc etc. All the really good presenters from radio 1 back in the day went to Radio 2 when radio 2 became crap. Some of the best shows were axed like Mark and Lard. I hate commercial radio stations with a vengeance, playing the same songs all day every day and an annoying crappy advert every 10 minutes of whatever. I like the chat as well as music as it gives you more to focus on rather than just non stop music.

I know it’s a personal preference for most but that is my opinion based on what I like to listen too.

Will have to see what they fill the slot with but I agree radio 2 has been going down the pan a bit with the listen again slots to fill air time.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Well, just listening to Bob Harris show on iplayer (from Sun 3-6 am) and his show is moving back to 12 midnight, which is great. I always catch it on iplayer anyway but will be good to catch some from midnight.
It is sad to lose the Alex Lester shows though.