Quick question ?

Hi just wondered if any one knew

Would a driver be fined or penalised if he was found to be driving a vehicle that had gone over its 6 weekly inspection period. I know the company would, but as a driver should i be keeping a close eye on the inspections, or is that just down to the company

Cheers
Owen

Hippo:
Hi just wondered if any one knew

Would a driver be fined or penalised if he was found to be driving a vehicle that had gone over its 6 weekly inspection period. I know the company would, but as a driver should i be keeping a close eye on the inspections, or is that just down to the company

Cheers
Owen

it would only cause problems for the company’s O licence, there’s no penalty for a driver

( except if it gets that bad that the company loses it’s O licence and can’t employ any drivers :wink: )

Cheers for that, I always do a thorough check every morning, and anything wrong with the wagon all ways get fixed.

Just wondered where i stood.

Thanks again

Owen

Is a 6 weekly inspection a MUST or a RECOMMENDED ?

Rog i know the 6 weekly inspections are a MUST. Although you can apply to your local traffic commissioner to have that period extended in exceptional circumstances, very low milages etc.

Cheers
Owen

Hippo:
Rog i know the 6 weekly inspections are a MUST. Although you can apply to your local traffic commissioner to have that period extended in exceptional circumstances, very low milages etc.

Cheers
Owen

Thanks - I had no idea - but have now :smiley: :smiley:

it depends what interval is specified on the O licence

dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/G … hiness.pdf

Dennis, Is that agreed when you first apply for the o-liscence, are you expected to estimate milages etc ■■

Denis F:
it depends what interval is specified…

Just after the interval… and now for something completely different. :laughing: :wink: :grimacing:

and

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … aried.html

Hippo:
Dennis, Is that agreed when you first apply for the o-liscence, are you expected to estimate milages etc ■■

yes, it’s in the maintenance contract you submit with your application

Hippo:

Yes when you apply for the licence you specify the inspection period, you are supposed to take into account mileage and working conditions. Ours is 12 weekly because of the low mileage, but I suppose if you are applying for general haulage work and ask for 12 weekly they might ask query it and could delay you applications.

Thats brillaint, Cheers People.

Denis F:
and

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … aried.html

I used ot work for a haulier who work on a mileage inspection period. If the trucks were working at a normaly it still orked out at about 6 weeks. The mechanics also used to put a sticker in the cab with the KM’s of the next inspection and you used arrange to get the ttruck back for inspection when it was due. I was stop by VOSA and they asked about the inspection period, I explained the system we had and they were fine with it.

Hi Hippo, The frequency of inspections is something that’s agreed between the Traffic Commissioner and the operator.

The interval is calculated on several criteria, not just by mileage alone.
For example, a tipper on arduous quarry work will usually have more frequent inspections that a truck that spends most of its life trundling up and down the motorways.

Six weeks is the normal guideline set for new operators, but the eventual frequency of inspections may ultimately be something might be (re-) negotiable after some period of trouble-free operating.

As already mentioned, there’s nothing here for an employed driver to worry about, except to report faults to the operator promptly. :smiley:

You would not be prosecuted for missing an inspection but you must make every effort to make sure the vehicle is roadworthy as you could be prosecured under construction and use rules if the vehicle is deemed dangerous and you as a driver should have seen the defect on your daily inspection. :confused: :confused: