question

if you are caught for any motoring offence :question: you are sent a letter. but how can they say you have recived it. because it is not sent as a recorded delivery. am i right or wrong

Thanks
off to work now :cry:

I would imagine that if you claimed to have not recieved anything then They will send you another by recorded mail or hand delivered!

Just a guess?

I tried this nearly 3 years ago when I was flashed by a speed camera.

The first I heard was a court summons, not only for the speeding offence but for failing to provide the drivers details. (upto £1000 fine)

At court I argued that the police had failed to request the drivers details. To cut a long story short, the CPS dropped the failing to provide the drivers details charge and I pleaded guilty to the speeding. (photo evidence, no argument)

I would not reccommend this course of action however, It cost me an £80 fine, £35 court costs and 4 points on my licence.

i.e. an extra £55 of my hard earned cash and an extra point on my licence over the fixed penalty.

At the end of the day, they are going to get you one way or another. Just look at the “is this justice” thread.

Stuart

Semtex:
I tried this nearly 3 years ago when I was flashed by a speed camera.

The first I heard was a court summons, not only for the speeding offence but for failing to provide the drivers details. (upto £1000 fine)

At court I argued that the police had failed to request the drivers details. To cut a long story short, the CPS dropped the failing to provide the drivers details charge and I pleaded guilty to the speeding. (photo evidence, no argument)

I would not reccommend this course of action however, It cost me an £80 fine, £35 court costs and 4 points on my licence.

i.e. an extra £55 of my hard earned cash and an extra point on my licence over the fixed penalty.

Stuart

Correct DGW131. But unless you’re extremely good at hiding, they will catch up with you. If it’s to do with the plod then they’ll call round at your gaff and will keep calling until they catch up with you. Eventually, they do get bored and go away I’ve found, but they are persistent.

You’ll probably find yourself on the receiving end of a court summon’s. I’ve been on the receiving end of a few for various ‘non-event’ type things. Ignoring them works best or mark them as ‘not known at this address’ and post it. It’s all scare-mongering. When I was arrested at Solihill 12 months back for allegedly trying to run over the wheel clamper I asked about my police record and then said it was clean and did I have anything to tell them, despite having received several summon’s in the years leading up :open_mouth: :confused: :stuck_out_tongue: .

If it’s to do with the DVLA, ie. you’ve received a fine for not declaring your motor as SORN or haven’t bothered to get some rent for it, then if you ignore that and write ‘not known at this address’ on the envelope and shove it back in the post box; they do go away. I speak from experience here, by the way :sunglasses: .

I find that forgetting to tell people (like DVLA, plod etc) that you’ve moved house if quite a good move :stuck_out_tongue: . Obviously if you’re up to REALLY dodgy things then the plod will get CID involved to find you, from bank statements, benefit claims etc and they WILL find you eventually.

Going off topic slightly, I recommend against ignoring council tax demands. I very much speak from experience here :laughing: :sunglasses: .

:stuck_out_tongue:

DGW131:
youve guesed it stuart
thats exatly what i have done and dug a big hole and cant get out of it. i kept ignoring all the letters untill today when i recived one from dvla threating to revoke my licence i know i have been stupied and would very much appreciate any help or advice on where to go next. all this because i did not wont three points on my clean licence of fifteen years :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Well tell us what you’ve done and we shall try and help out with the best course of action :stuck_out_tongue: .

If I was you, I would reply to this letter saying it is the first one you have recieved, and then take what they give you and chalk it up to experience.

I must admit I never had one from the dvla even though I had my PCV at the time.

Yes it is going to cost you, but if you don’t do something about it now, you will lose your entitlement to earn (your licence) which woul make paying a fine even more difficult.

Stuart

ok guys this is it in a nut shell as i have got to go work now.
i was court speeding ignord everything untill today when dvla a threting to revoke my licence i binned all letters and now like i say where do i go next . i will not be able to reply untill tomorrow

DGW131:
i was court speeding ignord everything untill today when dvla a threting to revoke my licence i binned all letters and now like i say where do i go next . i will not be able to reply untill tomorrow

Well, there’s 2 ways you can go.

1. Continue ignoring all correspondence brush up on your “very astonished” look if/when it ever catches up with you and risk losing your entitlements (could be very costly if the DVLA aren’t just scare-mongering you into replying).

2. Start corresponding now and take the rap and consequences from ignoring them for so long.

In your position, I’d get writing to them and start grovelling. I find that making some bull up about being overseas on business works well, although then depends on what period of time you’re taking about here.

DGW131:

Like I said in my last post, your first priority is to

START COMMUNICATING WITH THEM

The post is lousy in your area isn’t it■■? (Big hint)

Unfortunatly, in my experience (nothing against you Rob) they will not go away if you ignore them.

When I was 18 I was court having no insurance (2nd offence)

I ignored it and even moved to a different part of the country. Some 2 years later I was picked up for a drive off with a tank of petrol. Plod actually came round to my flat to arrest me. Got that sorted and they “handed” me a summons for the no insurance. It was still on the computer. I didn’t have it recorded as a criminal charge but an outstanding warrant.

Again, to cut a long story short, I appeared in court at the other end of the country and lost my licence for 6 months under the totting up (6 points for this offence and 6 points for the old one)

This was after listening to someone who told me to ignore the producer cos they never follow them up. (It was this guy’s car and he refused to give me the documents)

Stuart

its the not knowing thats the worse - once you have made the effort to contact them things wont be so bad!

tell them you work away from home and have just received this letter and your realise how serious it is and your very sorry it has got this far but you want to sort it out…maybe even mention that you have already sent them a letter and had wondered why they hadnt responded? the joys or british post lol
im sure they will sort something out for you! either way you have to face it these things dont go away! :unamused:

act dumb act innocent!(shouldnt be hard your a man lol)

let us know how u get on:shock:

sez

first of all a BIG thank you for your help :laughing: i think i have a plan of action it involves the wife. will let you know more later. just got back in from work so going to get sum Kip

Well DGW…you could say you had a row with your wife and moved out temporarily…in the meantime…she threw all letters addressed to you…in the bin…but act swiftly…the dvla dont mess when they say they are going to do something…good luck anyway…

As for Semtex…driving with no insurance is an idiotic way to behave…there is no excuse for that…especially as a professional driver…also filling your tank with petrol and driving off…another disgusting act…just shows what a character you are…i have no sympathies and am glad you got caught in the end…

DGW131:
i think i have a plan of action it involves the wife.

Why, is she a bit of a looker? :laughing:

Sending the wife into Aosta customs used to save me a mint in bribes :wink: .

And no, she didn’t have to do anything more than smile and look helpless :unamused: .

Salut, David.

DGW131:
first of all a BIG thank you for your help :laughing: i think i have a plan of action it involves the wife. will let you know more later. just got back in from work so going to get sum Kip

I hope you’re not planning to use her as the names driver at the time, because she hasn’t got a licence of her perhaps?

I strongly recommend against that. The cops and DVLA see straight through this one and you’ll get yourself - and her - into a whole pile more trouble than you’re in now, trust me.

:open_mouth:

Talking to a cop on another forum once who had the usual photographic evidence of speeding.
It turned out the guy who owned the car had sold it the day before.
The guy who bought it, and was therefore obviously the one in the photo, changed his mind shortly after and sold it back to the original owner.
The original owner had lost touch with the short term owner, but assured the police he would let them know if he ever met him again.

I think you have missed your chance here.
You should have got the registration document in the post the same day. :wink: