Question about initial cpc?

Hi everybody sorry but another dam question about the cpc rubbish.

1. Say I was to just do my theory test then my hazard perception then commence training and pass the practical (fingers crossed lol) then I would have the license but not allowed to drive for hire or reward. Then how would I go about getting the cpc thing?

Any advice ideas would be much appreciated, I just feel that this all getting really confusing now.

mknutjob:
Hi everybody sorry but another dam question about the cpc rubbish.

1. Say I was to just do my theory test then my hazard perception then commence training and pass the practical (fingers crossed lol) then I would have the license but not allowed to drive for hire or reward. Then how would I go about getting the cpc thing?

Any advice ideas would be much appreciated, I just feel that this all getting really confusing now.

if you have not got a C1 licence(7.5 ton) you will need to do module 2 case studies and module 4 practical test, ask you instructor about module 4 and you do module 2 at the same place as your theory

What will the initial qualification involve?

It will involve 4 hours of theory testing and 2 hours of practical testing. (The test for driving licence acquisition currently comprises of a 1.5 hour theory test and 1.5 hour practical test. So the extra testing would be 2.5 hours of theory testing and 30 minutes of practical testing.) The new CPC tests have been benchmarked at NVQ level 2.

DSA are introducing modular tests so that drivers can obtain their driving licence and CPC separately or at the same time.

The Theory test will be in 3 parts:

Module 1a - licence acquisition - 100 multiple choice questions

Module 1b - licence acquisition - 19 hazard perception clips

Module 2 - initial driver CPC — 3 to 6 case studies

Case studies have been designed in close consultation with industry stakeholders to meet the needs of the candidate and CPC Directive. The questions are scenario based and the candidate is asked a range of questions relating to this situation. Case studies wherever possible will use diagrams, pictures and graphics.

Test presentation will be screen-based, like the theory test for driving licence acquisition, and will be delivered from existing theory test centres.

The Practical test will be in 2 parts:

Module 3 - licence acquisition - 1.5 hours of on-road practical testing

Module 4 - initial driver CPC - 0.5 hours practical safety demonstration test, using a test vehicle for the category.

I know you are 22 years old so do not have grandfather cpc rights.

This is the basic version of the INITIAL driver CPC to see the in-depth version CLICK HERE

Module 1a theory questions - multiple choice - LGV THEORY BOOK and/or training by LGV school
Module 1b HPT - HPT DVD and/or training by LGV school
Module 2 Initial driver cpc theory - senario questions - multiple choice INITIAL DRIVER CPC BOOK and/or training by LGV school
Module 3 practical drive - Training for this by LGV school. DSA LGV test centers & routes
Module 4 Initial driver cpc - practical on site (no driving) - Training for this by LGV school.

Both modules 1a & 1b must be passed before taking 3. Module 2 must be passed before taking 4

1a, 1b & 2 done at theory test centre - BOOK YOUR OWN THEORY TESTS or by LGV training school
3 & 4 done at LGV driving test centre

Modules 2 & 4 not needed if got C1 on licence

mknutjob:

1. Say I was to just do my theory test then my hazard perception then commence training and pass the practical (fingers crossed lol) then I would have the license but not allowed to drive for hire or reward.

You are correct- you can have the licence but you cannot drive commercially

Modules 1a, 1b & 3 to get the LGV LICENCE
Modules 2 & 4 to be allowed to drive LGVs commercially

mknutjob:
Then how would I go about getting the cpc thing?

You do not have to do all the modules with the same training provider.
You may find that it is cheaper to shop around for the best deal for each module

All the theory & CPC books/CDs in one package

Very well done Rog, I am not sure if all the training companies have got the cages for module 4 yet, as we have had people phoning up asking what exactly do they have to do for the module 4, the hardest thing that people are finding is tying the dolly knot, all the other items seem to be okay for them, and quite straight foward.

fallingbostel:
the hardest thing that people are finding is tying the dolly knot,

They might like to learn how to do it and you might like to teach them how to do it BUT there is no NEED for them to do it as they will never HAVE to do it on test

What would you secure steel with? - answer = chains so demo a chain tensioner
What would you secure cages with? - answer = restraint bar so demo a restraining bar
What would you secure pallets with? - answer = either rope or strap so choose strap and demo it

The trainee chooses what to use so the rope never needs to be chosen

Gentlemen as ever you have been very helpful :smiley: I will keep you informed how I get on as soon as my provisional gets through the door :unamused:

hi there

im glad i stumbled across this page, as i was wanting to know a bit about this module 2 case study test as i have just booked this for tomorrow but havent a clue what to expect. Does anyone know what kind of questions you get asked on this module 2 ■■?

the cpc rubbish

Pity that’s what you think about it. It’s far from perfect but it’s a damned sight better than “learning on the job” and finding out what near misses look like.

If you’re with a good trainer you should have some enjoyable training to prepare for the driver cpc leading to a comfortable pass. If not, join the queue for a retest.

Rog is correct. There is no way will you, or anyone else, have to tie a dolly knot. But unless you’re with a trainer with the proper gear, you’ll be faced with equipment that’s totally unfamiliar to you at the test centre. It has to be said that not all cpc tests include the use of the loading trolley - you take your chance on that one.

I know I’m biased, but to me the only reliable way of doing the cpc without risking endless test fees is to take up proper training with a recognised trainer. Check that a DSA trolley (or very similar) is available together with the chains, straps and loadlock bar. Otherwise you might have this presented to you on test and it be a total mystery. No fun in that.

Good luck all. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi, I took my Mod 2 last week (and failed :blush: ), most of the questions are common sense ones like in the Theory test but there are others relating to hours, use of tacho and digicards, weight figures and haulage regulations.
Thats just what I got on my test so i’d imagine there will be other bits and pieces that other people have had.
You could have spoken questions to listen to, a diagram on which to place a cross, typed answers or just the multi choice.
Good luck for your test tom!

Peter Smythe:
Check that a DSA trolley (or very similar) is available together with the chains, straps and loadlock bar. Otherwise you might have this presented to you on test and it be a total mystery

martsstricky1988:
But unless you’re with a trainer with the proper gear, you’ll be faced with equipment that’s totally unfamiliar to you at the test centre

On Tuesday we had 4 CPC Mod 4 tests in Chelmsford with the first one at 8.30am. We started the 2 hour training session at 6am on a very cold morning. Now the examiner at Chelmsford hardly ever uses the trolley so I did consider not bothering with it but after going through every other possible question I decided to teach it “just in case”.

Dont you know there it was all laid out with the straps etc laying there and 2 from the 4 guys were asked to demonstrate it. One had the palletised paper question and the other the sheet metal question.

We actually got our trolley from the company near mansfield where the DSA ones were bought from.

It would be very difficult to pass if you had not received training on the load trolley and got the question on the test.

Regards

John
Flair Training

by loading trolley you mean a pump truck? :slight_smile: or one of these inventions? →

Peter Smythe:

the cpc rubbish

Pity that’s what you think about it. It’s far from perfect but it’s a damned sight better than “learning on the job” and finding out what near misses look like.

If you’re with a good trainer you should have some enjoyable training to prepare for the driver cpc leading to a comfortable pass. If not, join the queue for a retest.

Personally i found mod 4 useful, only every used rachet straps before so was good to have a go with chains and a bar. Only thing that i found frustrating was that the guy i learnt with had implied rights so didnt have to do it, yet had virtually no idea at all about loading, restaining or just haulage in general.

I would certainly find a training provider with a demo trolly, the company I used didn’t have one, I was familiar with the knot and straps but never used chains before, luckily the examiner didn’t even bother with the trolly and the test only lasted 13 minutes :smiley: