Puddle jumpers and speed cameras

Can standard speed cameras, GATSO’s etc differentiate between a 2 axle PJ doing the legal 50mph on a SC and a 2 axle 17.5t truck doing 50mph on a SC.

As when I driver a PJ I always slow to 40mph as I don’t want to find out the hard way and go through the hastle of explaining that they can do 50mph on a SC.

One I go by often is the 2 cameras on the A17 near the McDonalds at long sutton.

Just wondered if anybody knew if the ones with WIM cameras can tell the difference?

Cheers

CC

If it goes off at say 48 in a pj don’t worry about it, if you do get a ticket through the post just send it back saying its a 7.5tonner.

yes they can

Any large vehicle can make some speed cameras flash at the lower limit than that which applies to cars, but the photos should be manually checked against DVLA records to see what class of vehicle it is, and whether an offence has been committed.

The Gatso on A505 at Chrishill had a square reflector on a post that detected the height of vehicles. I remember seeing a Sainsbury Lorry getting flashed there. The camera has gone but the reflector remains.

Hiya i was traveling down the A41 nr mk drayton in my m/home with a motorbike trailer behind doing 50 ish.
flash…flash never herd anything about it 3 axels going over the sensor you see. So they must check the reg
to see what class of vehicle it is.
John

I’ve been flashed in 7.5 tonner on A1, but nothing never came - I think they check it against the number plate database…

Some standard gatsos have grey boxes about 100yards before the camera itself and road sensors which tell whether the vehicle is 7.5t or over…

Example is where the A444 passes over the a5 at royal Redgate theres one both ways on the a5 at that stretch…

I’ve been done by a Gatso near Aviemore. During a moment of inattention in a 7½ tonner on a SC,I was
doing 58 [in the days when this motor was not limited]

The scamera had definately detected a truck,whether by weight or height i’m not sure.

hiya … did’nt think of posting this before…If you travel on the A41 between the M54 and Chester the have a sneeky way to catch speeders.
If you ever travel this road look out for2 white lines on the road and then after 20 yards or so theres a post at the side of the road (30 inches high and 3"x1" thick after you go past this post you’ll see a very inicent car by the side of the road(on a small untarmaced layby)
this car has a camera thats got a wire from the post to the car.WOW dose he get some trucks.
When you get off the M54 go past the fuel station and after a 3/4 of a mile there are about six houses on the other side of the road
the car looks like its parked across from the houses but its a unmarked car. at this point you’ll have already passed a similar device
whats about 3/4 of a mile before the m54.traveling south. these traps are all the way up the A 41.LOOK OUT. they got me at 9 30 one morning I’d been on the motorway for 3 hours so you get on a 40 mph stretch and pottering along at 50mph seems slow and they are their 1 mile from the M/way waiting.
John

Going down the Loddon bypas on the a146 2 weeks a ago in my car at about 55mph (s.c. 60mph road) be followed by a 4x4 with a push bike on the roof, looked in the mirror and the camera flashed, so I don’t know if this guy got a ticket or they reliesed it was not a lorry from the photo, if they do checks.

The speed cameras on the A446 outside The Belfry golf course are prone to flashing PJ’s.
The single carriageway road has a 50 mph limit,with cameras to enforce that limit.
My son was flashed about 12 months ago in hi 7.5 tonne box van when he was doing under 50 mph.
It must have picked him up because he was in a high cube box van thinking he was an HGV,he heard no more about it.
He was flashed again in the same place a couple of weeks ago and he admits he may have been doing a shade over 50.
Did it flash him because he was identified as an HGV or because he was over 50? Up to now he has heard nothing,touch wood!