Puddle Jumpers and speed camera

Do speed camera detect the difference bewteen a puddle jumper and a 18t rigid/artic.

There is one GATSO i think camera on the A52 as you come off the A1 and head towards nottingham, that camera has in the past been said to trigger if HGV’s go over the 40mph limit on the NSL road. I ask as i was a passanger in a rigid and the camera flash at my driver, he got points etc :exclamation: we came back the same way and as we passed the camera, i was driving back and made sure i was doing below 40 a long body flat bed puddle jumper drove past and it flashed him :exclamation:

Can these camera have multiple settings for different types of vehicles at the same time, vans/7.5/18/44, cars with trailers etc etc or did the camera just think it was an HGV and it was doing 50 :question: :question:

I always slow down when i’m puddle jumping to 40mph just in case especially the 2 camera’s on the A17 as i’m not sure - comments please.

cheers :grimacing: :grimacing:

I called a lawyer who deals just with road traffic law and he was saying it’s to do with the amount of radar sent back when it bounces off the truck. Also the sensors in the road no doubt can tell what the distance between axles are and work out wether it’s worth a flash or not to make sure when the pics are checked. I always get a weird feeling when flying past speed cameras at 62 on the A90 in the coach

Some cameras go by weight sensors in the road, and some have a height sensor on them…

Theres no way out… :unamused:

There have been cases where a 7.5 has been flashed for doing 50 on a SC in a NSL limit and the driver or company has pointed out that error - NIP invalidated.

Other cases have never got to NIP stage as the DVLA database has rejected it - the registration has been cross checked automatically and seen to be a false flash.

I do believe that the more modern cameras are linked to the DVLA database for this purpose so it does not flash at all.
Camera sees large vehicle at 50 on SC in NSL - registration read - details of vehicle matched in DVLA database - 7.5 vehicle - speed limit set by camera to match details - no flash and all done in a couple of miliseconds

most of them have got hight censors on them,as i found out,doh,lol, i was told if your over 9" tall and going over 40mph on a single lane road,it will take a pic,and if your restricted to 40mph for the class of vehicle, you get a thud on the doormat, as the fine lands there, :imp: :imp: :imp:

ROG:
I do believe that the more modern cameras are linked to the DVLA database for this purpose so it does not flash at all.
Camera sees large vehicle at 50 on SC in NSL - registration read - details of vehicle matched in DVLA database - 7.5 vehicle - speed limit set by camera to match details - no flash and all done in a couple of miliseconds

Doubt it’s that fast, ROG.

Steve-o:

ROG:

He might be right as according to wikipedia (so it must be true) the “more modern cameras” computer cores have simultaneous access to 48 million data channels with transluminal processing at over 975 tillion calculations per nanosecond. Can operate at temperature margins from 10 to 1,790 Kelvin. And is kept cool by a negative polarity hydrogen-based Ionised liquid plasma coolant system

Well I’ll be damned :laughing:

With my old low cab 7.5t i could run up the A1 on the cruise control at 50 without being flashed, with the new high cabbed one I get flashed by the camera on the northbound at Cockburnspath every time at 50, never had a nip though so it must get sorted out at the source.

ROG:

Fascinating! I wonder if the humans at DVLA could be wired up to this computer?

Stan

I made a post a few months ago when my son was flashed going past The Belfry where there is a 50 limit.He was driving a 7.5 tonne MAN box that was detected as an 18 tonne when he was doing between 40 and 50.
Heard nothing about it!

I think the one at the Belfry is an old-fashioned GATSO with film in it. They only seem to turn it on now and then and I suspect it sometimes flashes but doesn’t take a pic.

pecjam23:

Steve-o:

ROG:

He might be right as according to wikipedia (so it must be true) the “more modern cameras” computer cores have simultaneous access to 48 million data channels with transluminal processing at over 975 tillion calculations per nanosecond. Can operate at temperature margins from 10 to 1,790 Kelvin. And is kept cool by a negative polarity hydrogen-based Ionised liquid plasma coolant system

You sure thats not the web cams on the USS Enterprise :laughing:
Simon :sunglasses: