A1 speed cameras

Can the speed cameras on the A1 tell the difference between a wagon and a car?
I’m referring to the ones North of Newcastle when the road narrows to one carraigeway.
I’ve run up and down that road more times than I can count over the years doing around/just under 50mph and never been flashed. However the other night I was running back to base, just past Morpeth, doing 50 (OK I know it’s 40 for HGVs :unamused: :wink: ) when flash-flash in my n/side mirror. :imp: :confused: :cry:

I was speeding - fair-do’s - my own fault. But I thought it would be set to flash just over 60mph to get the cars, but as I was doing 50, no problem. Have I been booked?

mate of mine got flashed and points n fine for doing 46 mph at the one near alnick mike, so be warned m8… i think there set to different speeds on different days…

I went through there last Tuesday last week and the wagon in front of me got flashed on the camera north of Berwick where the road narrows from dual to single but the car that was catching him up didnt. Some cameras i believe have the ability to tell the difference between cars and trucks, whether it is loops in the road or the radar i dont know, but i have seen a few trucks flashed up there recently.

The wagon was dutch so he wont be getting a letter from the police.

I remember a story, might have been on here, of a truck driver getting speeding fine when he was below the limit. He got the photo and it show him being overtaken by a car at. The police said it was impoosible for the camera to pick up the car, but his tacho and photo analysis showed him below the limit. However you only get the photo if you are taking the case to court, so if you know you were over the limit then it might be best to just accept the fine and points.

we had one of our guys caught out this way,he was at haddington going towards the a1 and the speed was 60 for cars.so he was like you thought he’d be safe at 50,no he was caught and recieved a fine a few weeks later.also i hear that the road leading out of edinburgh from the barnton roundabout as its locally known ( no roundabout there now ) going towards the forth road bridge i think its the a90,well they have that road marked as a 40 and according to reports there has never been a law passed for that road to be a 40. as far as the council are concerned it should be a 60 and everyone that has been caught doing over 40 will have there monies returned. i wonder how many roads around the whole country have never had any law passed to justify making certain roads x speed.how much money has the goverment got of us drivers for speed cameras set at the wrong settings and roads marked up at the wrong speed :question:

The camera,s can tell the differance,I was flashed!! on the a17 sleaford by -pass doing 56 on a friday afternoon with about a mlie of cars behide me,ca in front of me was playing games any way it was going about 60mph and did`nt get flashed so thought I was ok ,no flash flash two week later a sumons landed on the mat,phoned up the number on the form and cut a long story short yes they can tell the differance between cars and trucks.

I got done on that stretch last year doing 48 mph. So BE WARNED yes they can tell if you are an HGV…

Just before the cameras you will see 2 tarmac lines which give the effect of a square, this is where a wire has been buried, this is the sensor for the weights it allows them to set the speed limits for vehicles over 7.5 ton to show them apart from cars.

they can also set them to detect vehicles over 44ton which will photograph the vehicle even if it is not speeding.

Mudflaps!! :cry: :cry:

Lostpup:
Can the speed cameras on the A1 tell the difference between a wagon and a car?
I’m referring to the ones North of Newcastle when the road narrows to one carraigeway.
I’ve run up and down that road more times than I can count over the years doing around/just under 50mph and never been flashed. However the other night I was running back to base, just past Morpeth, doing 50 (OK I know it’s 40 for HGVs :unamused: :wink: ) when flash-flash in my n/side mirror. :imp: :confused: :cry:

I was speeding - fair-do’s - my own fault. But I thought it would be set to flash just over 60mph to get the cars, but as I was doing 50, no problem. Have I been booked?

TICKET ON ITS WAY !!!

I’ll guarantee it !

I got caught doing 51mph on same stretch of road (40mph limit). Got back to base at the end of the week and the gaffer hauled me in the office to tell me he’d had to give them my details as it was me driving the wagon.

3pts + £60 !

When your jobbie comes through have a look and see if it’s from Borders & Lothian Constabulary or whatever and the area called “Penmanshiel” which doesn’t appear on my map.

I don’t do the A1 up there now - too risky. I prefer the 66 and 74.

Rob K:
When your jobbie comes through have a look and see if it’s from Borders & Lothian Constabulary or whatever and the area called “Penmanshiel” which doesn’t appear on my map.

Penmanshiel is the very place it happened. It’s the school and a few houses just to the right of the A1 North-side of Morpeth. You see the signs which flash amber lights when it’s kicking out time at the school and there’s women in 4x4s everywhere picking up rugrats. :imp:

YEP, ticket DEFO on its way then :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Better get your wallet out :smiley:

The lines that are referred to are called a loop.I have a friend of a friend who goes around installing cameras, (Sad,but someone has to.) and I get my information from him.

However,if I remember correctly,wasn’t Northumbria slated recently for something relating to HGV’s being caught speeding,even though the limit on a stretch of road was say,50 mph? Yes,we are all aware that we should only be doing 40 on single roads,but I think some drivers thought that if it said 50,we could do 50.

Ken.

Davey Driver:
Just before the cameras you will see 2 tarmac lines which give the effect of a square, this is where a wire has been buried, this is the sensor for the weights it allows them to set the speed limits for vehicles over 7.5 ton to show them apart from cars.

they can also set them to detect vehicles over 44ton which will photograph the vehicle even if it is not speeding.

i doubt it can tell the weight of a vehicle,more like it counts the number of axles as you pass :exclamation: they will be like the traffic light sensors.has any one been done in a rigid :question: because coaches have the same axles/weight as a rigid but their limit is 50 :question:

the plain answer is to stick to the limit and save YOUR licence :exclamation: :exclamation:
jon

No not really,one does not have to lie down and take,the speed limit are donkeys years old and need sorting,trucks are better made than some cars,and the speed limits need to refleck that.

trucks are better made than some cars,and the speed limits need to refleck that.
[/quote]

what the hell are you on :exclamation: :exclamation:

Well I’ve read in today’s News of the Screws,that cats eye cameras are about to make an appearance in the next 12 months,making Gatsos,Truvelos etc obsolete.

So you’ll never know if there is a one about unlike todays generation of cameras.

A step too far in my opinion.

Ken.

and people wonder why we have a driver shortage :question: :question:
there all gettin nicked cause the rozzers are gettin new toys all the time, got to be something wrong with the blokes that design these things :imp: :imp:
chris

jon boy 100:
i doubt it can tell the weight of a vehicle,more like it counts the number of axles as you pass :exclamation: they will be like the traffic light sensors.has any one been done in a rigid :question: because coaches have the same axles/weight as a rigid but their limit is 50 :question:

The sensors can be made up of tubing which is compressed when the vehicle passes over it thereby operating a pressure switch, the computer circuits inside the camera housing calculates the pressure resulting in the weight being determined.

Of course your always welcome to run above 44ton and prove me wrong Lol :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Davey Driver:
The sensors can be made up of tubing which is compressed when the vehicle passes over it thereby operating a pressure switch, the computer circuits inside the camera housing calculates the pressure resulting in the weight being determined.

why do you have to drive slowly over a single axle weigher.if you drive too fast it can not calulate your weight :question:

also a moving vehicle would not give its true weight due to the laws of gravity :exclamation:

we will see if there are any prosecutions,as there are bound to be wagons over weight out there :exclamation:

only time will tell :exclamation:

jon