Pub gas

Do you need adr to deliver gas to pubs

depends on quantity of gas
but i doubt anyone would employ someone who was not ADRd

and doubtful if full gas cylinders would go via pallet networks

this is a van driving job

I`m sure you need ADR for those - seem to recall seeing it on here somewhere

I would imagine the job you are talking about is BOC or something doing the cylinders. My mate drove a 7.5 tonner for them but it involved medical gases too and was a salesman role. So ADR was required.

IMHO even non hazardous gas is hazardous as it could be compressed or just oxygen. either way you can lose your fingers or blow yourself up :exclamation:

Always thought it a bit mad that if i drive a truck with a barrel of whisky i need a ADR ,trailer BUT once its bottled i can drive the same volume without anything ! weird :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

buffoon:

“Gas to pubs” is a substance regulated by ADR, so the Regs will apply either partly or fully. This will depend on the number and size of the gas cylinders to be carried.
In the case of “gas to pubs,” as with any other dangerous goods, there are “trigger” limits which apply before an ADR licence is necessary.

A complicating factor is that we’d need to know a bit more about the gas itself, since the Regs are slightly different depending on whether the gas is “just” a gas, or whether it’s liquified in the cylinders, so what follows is only general in nature.

In any case, it’s the vehicle owner’s job to do this, but the way it’s done is as follows:
For “just a gas” add up the nominal capacity (theoretical water capacity) of all the full cylinders to be carried. If this number exceeds 1,000 liters, an ADR licence covering at least Core, packages and UN Class 2 will be required.

If the gas is liquified, the the relevant figure (1,000) is the total nett mass of the gas expressed in liters.

Some other comments:

1. We know the limit is 1,000, because the gas in question is neither toxic, nor flammable, both of which have lower limits than the type of gas in question.
  2. There are no Limited Quantity exemptions for gases. :wink:
  3. ADR doesn’t count the weight of the cylinders, but the C&U regs DO :wink:
  4. Any number of nominally empty cylinders can be carried at any time, even in combination with a load of full cylinders, since in this case, empties don’t count.

In practice though, many “gas to pub” companies insist on ADR purely as a matter company policy.

i normally deliver quite a bit to my local after several mild…never been asked for adr…been asked to leave many times though!

fatles:
i normally deliver quite a bit to my local after several mild…never been asked for adr…been asked to leave many times though!

On the subject of which, coming back after a couple of days away, attending a family funeral, for ease, we picked up fish and chips, before arriving home.

Now one of our cats has a liking for mushy peas. So much so that she was trying to get her head into the wife’s plate whilst she was still eating her meal. :slight_smile:

Meal finished, the cat begins devouring the peas.She was also given some fish ‘as a treat’ but then went back to the mushy peas. In all, she must have consumed about a third of a carton of peas.

I’ll bet that she was ‘jet propelled’ for the remainder of the night. :smiley:

Fallmonk:
Always thought it a bit mad that if i drive a truck with a barrel of whisky i need a ADR ,trailer BUT once its bottled i can drive the same volume without anything ! weird :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

I think that’s because you might get too ■■■■■■ to open another bottle before you are too ■■■■■■ to drive whereas with a tank, you only need open it the once to be too ■■■■■■■

Fallmonk:

Yes Fallmonk, once it’s bottled, it’s counted as Limited Quantities, then you wouldn’t need an ADR lience to carry any quantity of it. :wink:

As for a barrel of the stuff, it will depend on the boiling point and the flashpoint, the size (and number) of the barrel(s) as to whether some or all of ADR applies to the job. :smiley:

buffoon:

There’s was plenty of gas in a pub I used to frequent, and that was just the ladies :open_mouth: the only ADR they had was Air Driven Rectums :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: