Prospective owner driver

hi all
thought id give this a try for some advice. Im a competent self employed class 1 driver with experience in a wide range of vehicles. I had a go with a contract hire tractor and walking floor trailer in 09 on mates o license. Pulled out of o license application on financial standing grounds. Was busy with work (run ragged) sub contracting which was fine as they were doing the finding of work but at the end of the week i could of prob earn t the same in tesco shop floor with no stress, but here i am again contemplating the same ■■? You know the score im sure. If its in your blood, its in your blood. I am training for my transport managers cpc and thinking of selling a property (which was my pension) to raise some cash to prob lease purchase a wagon and drag with a large crane as i have good experience with crane work. Now obviously i would consider all work but return loads worry me. To win a job costing to travel both ways ie home empty, i believe would be prob near impossible. Return loads seem to me to be diesel money only but by time youve gone to a yard , loaded, then unloaded the over end, thats half day wasted. How can i get the right work before i commit to truck. Dont think i can take a flyer of a chance that i will get work,but who will take me seriously with out a truck? I am on my own as well. No one at home to ring round for return loads. I remember sitting in Cornwall frantically ringing round for a load home before i went sub contracting.Any honest advise would be very much appreciated. Cheers

siggo1967:
thinking of selling a property (which was my pension) to raise some cash to prob lease purchase a wagon and drag with a large crane

no offence mate but keep the house and drive for someone else

First question.

Have you got £40,000 to spare?

If you’re thinking of selling a house (that was set aside as your pension investment) to start up as an O/D you need to go see a Doctor,
one that specializes in PSYCHOLOGICAL PROBLEMS!!! :open_mouth:

Crane work is a specalised field you would need contacts in that industury its different from buying a tractor unit an doing containers or ferry trailers.
I know a bloke with two 6x2 rigid flats with hiabs he makes a decent living but he has a large and varied customer base but its taken him years to build up. But it is a game where he tends to tell the customer the price.

Id stick with the house look at releasing equity and buying another.

Do your sums, keep your feet on the ground, fill your boots!

If you really must,get the work first then sell the house but meanwhile get paid for burning other peoples rubber. :sunglasses: