Problem hooking up

On sat i did a trailer change i dropped mine and hooked up no problem my mate though had plenty he backed under lifted it and backed right under but the jaws wouldn’t lock he tried a few times and i couldn’t see any thing wrong. before he called in i suggested he try another trailer to which he had no problems, he went back to the original trailer and hooked up ok. does anyone have any ideas why??

did he reverse under hard enough the first time.he may not have rammed it if you were watching…any fooling with the locking lever an old trick that makes yer look a txxxt

problem hooking up

sorry, I thought you wanted a link for a dating site… :blush: :blush: :wink: :laughing:

I know - TAXI!!!

diggertony:
did he reverse under hard enough the first time.he may not have rammed it if you were watching…any fooling with the locking lever an old trick that makes yer look a txxxt

i was busy doing my thing so wasn’t paying full attention but everything seems ok apart from the lack of click as the jaws close after 2nd attempt i walked over to try to help

if it was early doors and first couple of the day could it have been a bit frozen…at least he pulled out and didnt just continue coupling up…

Sometimes the handle gets caught on the notch that holds the handle out for un-coupling.

on an old f10 i used to drive sometimes id have to knock the handle for the jaws manually for it to lock

Mr B:
On sat i did a trailer change i dropped mine and hooked up no problem my mate though had plenty he backed under lifted it and backed right under but the jaws wouldn’t lock he tried a few times and i couldn’t see any thing wrong. before he called in i suggested he try another trailer to which he had no problems, he went back to the original trailer and hooked up ok. does anyone have any ideas why??

Either -

1. The angle of the 5th wheel with the trailer is too great, ie. he has lifted the drive axle suspension too high, or
  2. The jaw release handle isn’t playing ball and you need to reverse under as far as you can go, get out, pull the lever towards you then push it to the left (it should then shoot inwards), then jump back in and reverse until the jaws lock, or
  3. Something is really broken…

I used to have a problem all the time with 2. with an old model FH12 I use to drive. The DAF CFs and XFs are also bad for the jaws not locking automatically.

:smiley:

1. The jaw release handle isn’t playing ball and you need to reverse under as far as you can go, get out, pull the lever towards you then push it to the left (it should then shoot inwards), then jump back in and reverse until the jaws lock, or

ive had this plenty of times, like rob says when you have reversed back to the hilt if it does’nt lock pull forward and nudge the handle left and try again.

jessicas dad:

1. The jaw release handle isn’t playing ball and you need to reverse under as far as you can go, get out, pull the lever towards you then push it to the left (it should then shoot inwards), then jump back in and reverse until the jaws lock, or

ive had this plenty of times, like rob says when you have reversed back to the hilt if it does’nt lock pull forward and nudge the handle left and try again.

Sounds favourite.
I’ve had this happen many times over the years.
If it hasn’t locked when doing the first ■■■■■■ test,back under again,be really posative, then get out and knock the handle out of it’s notch,it should shoot in,then try the ■■■■■■ test again.

bestbooties:

jessicas dad:

Sounds favourite.
I’ve had this happen many times over the years.
If it hasn’t locked when doing the first ■■■■■■ test,back under again,be really posative, then get out and knock the handle out of it’s notch,it should shoot in,then try the ■■■■■■ test again.

And to double check get under the trailer and check that the “bar” has gone across the jaws locking the pin in :wink:

howatsi:
‘…get under the trailer and check that the “bar” has gone across the jaws locking the pin in…’

I do this every time - am I paranoid?

I’ve had this problem, turned out to be a spring on the handle mechanism was shot, had to manually realease the handle once i was under, just triple check your locked in. :slight_smile:

Mr B:
i was busy doing my thing so wasn’t paying full attention

well that would explain your problems hooking up mr b :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

oh the joys of misquoting…

Happy Keith:

howatsi:
‘…get under the trailer and check that the “bar” has gone across the jaws locking the pin in…’

I do this every time - am I paranoid?

No it’s not paranoia just common sense. :blush:

daleyboy:
I’ve had this problem, turned out to be a spring on the handle mechanism was shot, had to manually realease the handle once i was under, just triple check your locked in. :slight_smile:

Like daleyboy says in his signiture there’s nothing wrong with mass debating

Mr B:

daleyboy:

Like daleyboy says in his signiture there’s nothing wrong with mass debating

:laughing: :laughing:

I should say Rob K is on the money with this one, the suspension was too high and the articulation of the fifth wheel was at its maximum

Wheel Nut:
I should say Rob K is on the money with this one, the suspension was too high and the articulation of the fifth wheel was at its maximum

probably right. i dropped the trailer on a slight slope with the tractor on the level but i cant understand why hooking up to another trailer “reset” the jaws enabling him to couple upto the trailer i’d just dropped

Mr B:

Sometimes when you pull the handle out to drop the trailer, it can end up going too far and locking in place which means the jaws don’t shut when you put pressure on as you reverse under. This can also happen on those that tend to have a wider bit at the top as well as the bottom.

If this happens, back under the trailer and push back as hard as you can then stick on the park brake on the unit. Get out and give the fifth wheel handle a hard knock on the right side to knock it left (knock it so it moves towards the back of the unit). You’ll find that it’ll then shoot back in and you’ll hear the jaws lock. Another quick tug, pop the dog clip in and you’re good.