Releasing fifth wheel

Just wondered if this was common or if its just me and im doing somat wrong ,

when uncoupling the other night , i had three trailer changes and everytime it came to pulling the handle on fifth wheel , i had to get back in cab and pull forward like the tug test , then go back and pull the handle to release the pin ,it would then pull freely out , could this be just the unit i was driving or has anyone else had this ?

jen x

Hi jen
Try instead of putting the hand brake with the foot brake depressed to let the unit settle itself when youre in position then apply the hand brake (obviously if its nice n flat where youre dropping it)
Or if it still has not released just quickly let the hand brake off and put it back on again. Works for me.

If ive got the wrong end of the stick just ignore lol
:laughing:
Isla

It is not uncommon…
I find that it often sorts the problem out if you get back in the unit and release the handbrake, not forgetting to reapply before getting out again. Allows the unit to move slightly relieving the pressure on the pin etc.
Though I have had some that need a few back and fwd shunts to rattle things loose…
I think (though may be wrong) that it tends to stick when the trailer has been backed up against something, (a loading bay, sleepers, the bosses car etc) and the unit is still pushing against the pin when you try to release the handle. Hey what do I know!
Can be a touch frustrating when you have to keep jumping in and out of the cab, but not worth getting stressed about!

cheers guys, ill try that , im doing the same run tonight and just thought mabe someone has this problem too , The bay up in willenhall they like you to raise susp on trailer when on bay so thought it may that thats causing it to catch , dont get me wrong its not a big problem to get back in and wiggle the unit but dont remember it ever happening on training vehs , ( and hate looking like a weak girlie in front of other drivers lol)

jx

Handbrake off and vback on usually does the trick or just lower the fith wheel suspension a little that also seems to do the trick.

Just too much tension on the mech to release. Simply open cab door, H off H on and thats it.

The truck won’t move, I just stand on the step.

Agree with fishman. Lower the truck suspension a little to take the tension off. It’s happened a couple of times to me and thats what I’ve done to cure it.

Good to see you re getting lots of work and practice :wink: x

glad other people have this just thought it was me :smiley:

Dar really starting to enjoy it now dont put any pressure on myself to do perfectly and the reversing gets a little easier with each one lol , tonight its up to willenhall, then southampton then back to thatcham , mind u its an agency job so could change :wink: then got 3 days next week for qtr hub run up to birmingham so coming on even got the radio back on now as getting a little more relaxed :laughing: hows ur new job going saw the t cab the other day on ur post was it good to drive or was it weird having a bonnet in front of u ?

jx

Jennie:
glad other people have this just thought it was me :smiley:

Dar really starting to enjoy it now dont put any pressure on myself to do perfectly and the reversing gets a little easier with each one lol , tonight its up to willenhall, then southampton then back to thatcham , mind u its an agency job so could change :wink: then got 3 days next week for qtr hub run up to birmingham so coming on even got the radio back on now as getting a little more relaxed :laughing: hows ur new job going saw the t cab the other day on ur post was it good to drive or was it weird having a bonnet in front of u ?

jx

As above with the fifth wheel. Had one once that the p/brake trick didn’t work and required a good old tug backwards and forwards to extract…

I found with reversing the less you think (worry?) about it the slicker it gets. Bizarrely at the end of a 14 hour shift when I’m knackered I seem to slot the DD’s onto the bay far easier than at the start of the shift…

It’s a weird world… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Had that myself asked a shunter why he justsis reverse back so thats what i do if i cant get the handle to release don’t fret probably happens to everyone.hope your enjoying it now does get easier doesn’t it .

Jennie:
cheers guys, ill try that , im doing the same run tonight and just thought mabe someone has this problem too , The bay up in willenhall they like you to raise susp on trailer when on bay so thought it may that thats causing it to catch , dont get me wrong its not a big problem to get back in and wiggle the unit but dont remember it ever happening on training vehs , ( and hate looking like a weak girlie in front of other drivers lol)

jx

happened on my training vehicle Jen, instructor calmly told me to just release the handbrake count to 3 and reapply…worked a treat :wink:

Tazbug

Actually this happen once or twice lol