Pre Driving Checks at Start of the Shift

I apologise if this has been covered before, but the search facility isn’t letting me search for more than one word for some reason.

Had a discussion today with a driver from another company about time required to check your vehicle in the morning before driving, and how much time VOSA would expect to see on your tacho. We are all led to believe it is 15 mins where I work, but this other guy was under the impression you just had to show a ‘few minutes of other work’ before setting off.

I am sure I read an article in a truck magazine about a haulier that was fined for not showing any time at the start of the shift. Had a quick look on the net and can’t seem to see anything concrete.

bowserman:
I apologise if this has been covered before, but the search facility isn’t letting me search for more than one word for some reason.

Had a discussion today with a driver from another company about time required to check your vehicle in the morning before driving, and how much time VOSA would expect to see on your tacho. We are all led to believe it is 15 mins where I work, but this other guy was under the impression you just had to show a ‘few minutes of other work’ before setting off.

I am sure I read an article in a truck magazine about a haulier that was fined for not showing any time at the start of the shift. Had a quick look on the net and can’t seem to see anything concrete.

It has been covered before but with the site search not working right yet it is a bit difficult to locate the thread.

I have one suggestion - do a full vehicle check - everything - and time yourself.
Others have said that if keeping the same truck all wek and you are the only driver then perhaps a full (everything) check is not required for every day.
Perhaps a very full check at the start of the week and then do what is necessary for the other days.
TBH, most drivers check out their truck every time they walk around it to some degree.

bowserman:

Now there cant be any hard fast rules on this as things differ for different set-up’s.

As you have said in your post not showing any work time befor driving would indicate the driver has failed to show any checks and before anyone starts yes you cant say “Well I pull the same trailer day in and day out never drop it etc etc” That just wont wash.
Simple fact put your tacho in and drive . you’ve shown no checks.
Digi card: Put it in do your last entry’s and drive . still dont really show checks even if you made them when say you were waiting for the other driver to get out.
The only way is to allow a resonable time 5 to 15 mins for checking things over.

Here it is Rog viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42410#p474582

the company i work for have just put it in writing that all drivers must show 15mins of checks at the start of every shift.that works out at £15 a week…easy money :wink:

R.D:
the company i work for have just put it in writing that all drivers must show 15mins of checks at the start of every shift.that works out at £15 a week…easy money :wink:

We get 45 minutes. :wink:

bowserman:

Hi mate show on your tacho that you have done other work for 15 mins this will show vosa that you did something for 15 mins at start of shift.

we have a new thing come in soon called
GRADUATED FIXED PENALTIES AND DEPOSITS

link

and if there fined some thing wrong and you did not show other work at start of shift you could be in trouble for it.the fines are given to the driver and the driver would have to pay

nick2008:

and HERE

Denis F:

nick2008:

and HERE

Thanks folks :smiley:

We get 45 minutes.

yea , were given 30 mins at the start and end of every shift , and most of us have the same unit and trailer all the time due to the kit carried (tankers).

3 of us that were driving for the same co’ went through a VOSA check in Thamesport Nov’ last, we were all waiting for backloads at the time so had time to spare :unamused: anyway, VOSA man told us that we would be expected to show 10 mins OW at the start of the shift, failure to do so would incur fines in the near future.

Been doing so for a while anyway personally, the gendarmes, Bundezpolizie, etc don’t like arguing over it :imp: (you will lose :unamused: :open_mouth: )

Makes sense really, if you don’t do the checks it’s illegal, if you do them “off card” it’s illegal, so show 10 mins :wink:

10 mins have poosed no problem to.the other five is my usual atempt to figure out the gears …the ignition…the paperwork etc

The company I work for insist on seeing 15 mins other work on our tacho before we set off driving in the morning, so I use the time to check my truck over, fill in the checklist and grab a coffee.

we have been told (dont know if its true),that under new vosa regulations (1st april),we have to show 15 minutes other work before moving at the start of our shift or we could get fined■■?.

I am sure it must be written down somewhere.

I am sure I saw an article on a transport company’s office wall (could have been Longs of Leeds) which was a cutting from a magazine reporting on a driver that had been prosecuted for chart in and away.

We get half an hour at the start and end for checks. Normally only takes 15 minutes cause it’s only an 18 tonner.

I knew I had it somewhere

LOOK NO TIME STATED JUST THAT YOU HAVE DONE CHECKS SO YOU COULD GET AWAY WITH A 5 MIN CHECK PLUS PAPER WORK IE TACHO

dft.gov.uk/drivingforwork/co … asp?pid=54 <--------------<<<HERE

would that web site count as being the official word document of law though nick

you can have a look at what is expected in checking you truck

vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/reposit … ullout.pdf

i think thats why there say 15 mins

delboytwo:
you can have a look at what is expected in checking you truck

vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/reposit … ullout.pdf

i think thats why there say 15 mins

As you passed this VOSA VIDEO link to me today, I will add it :slight_smile: -
transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/r … ks-wmv.pdf

It shows a walk-round check of a curtainsided artic - it’s quite long as an explanation is given so have a cuppa ready :slight_smile:

Side lights on hazards on a quick walk around the LLLOOONNNGGG way to check all the wheels are still on and then away we go… :smiley: :smiley: