Start of shift checks

I always thought your start of shift checks were just advisory, and also good practise

On a CPC module the other day, I was informed that VOSA hand out quite hefty fines if you haven’t started your shift with your tacho on hammers for 10 to 15 minutes

Is it really fineable ■■?

espresso:
I always thought your start of shift checks were just advisory, and also good practise

On a CPC module the other day, I was informed that VOSA hand out quite hefty fines if you haven’t started your shift with your tacho on hammers for 10 to 15 minutes

i got same truck every day just now (52 plate) do my checks in less than 5 minutes

walk up no leaks or flat tyres, tacho in check oil water
quick walk round check lights and any damage
same with trailer

from previous threads i think you need show a suitable time

this 15 minute malarkey is usually company policy

Since I’m fed-up being a sick-note off other’s bugs/pickings/mucous/scratchings/itch-meat, etc, a pre-use anti-bac’ pantomime blitz of cab surfaces with a fresh cloth daily takes me a coupla minutes :neutral_face:

It doesn’t need to be 15 mins to the absolute second as Andy notes, but should something happen during the day that a normal daily check would have uncovered and prevented, the book will get thrown and rightly so.

As with all things transport the job takes as long as it takes, takes me more than 15 mins to check my whole vehicle, paperwork, seals etc…the driver is responsible, end of.

Ah yes pre shift wet wiping the steering wheel/controls just as important as the vehicle checks

I used to do agency work for a company that you had to show 20mins work at the beginning and end of your shift ( lead in and lead out times ) and every time you did a trailer swap !! :confused:

Fifteen minutes does me, coffee ■■■ and pee, jobs a good un !!

Takes as long as it takes then when I picks up a trailer I start all over again :smiley:

andy187:

espresso:
I

I ■■?

i got same truck every day just now (52 plate) do my checks in less than 5 minutes

how do you check the water

villa:

andy187:

espresso:
I

I ■■?

check radiator before getting in cab

andy187:

villa:

andy187:

espresso:
I

I ■■?

check radiator before getting in cab

yeah but how can you check how much water is in it

villa:

andy187:

espresso:
I

I ■■?

elbow mate every time with the elbow

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nick2008:

villa:

andy187:

espresso:
I

I ■■?

elbow mate every time with the elbow

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

cheers mate , i’ll try it tomorow

villa:

I’ve found (and I could be wrong) that when greated with a dirty water header bottle theres nowt else for it than to gently (and I mean gently if its a hot engine) unscrew the cap on the tank and dip ones pinky in, usually about half way up is where the ‘Max’ line is so if ones pinky feels hot or at least a bit moist the water level is ok- if one has to use a longer pink tipped appendage (make up your own jokes here) then a top up maybe needed.

Just my experience others may chose alternative body parts to test the depth and moistness…

andy187:

espresso:

same with trailer

from previous threads i think you need show a suitable time

this 15 minute malarkey is usually company policy

i would have asked him to either put up or shut up, by telling him to show me the relevant law in writing :wink:

there is no definitive time set by any governing body as to how long the daily walk around check must take

all these who say, “my place insist on 15 minutes for the truck and 15 minutes for the trailer”, that will be company policy, NOT law

even on the VOSA (as was) DVD for the drivers hours, the VOSA (as was) man states that if you have the same truck and the same trailer every day, and nobody else drives it, then the walk around check can “be done in a couple of minutes”

Just as well this isn’t the good ol’ US of A. It seems that to pass the equivalent of the HGV test trainee drivers need to be able to know and demonstrate the following:

youtube.com/watch?v=gw7vinvH1XY

The Guide To Maintaining Roadworthiness states the vehicle must be checked by a responsible person before it is used and at least once in every 24h period.

Nowhere does it state the DRIVER has to check it at the beginning of his shift and no times are stated.

It would be perfectly resonable to get your vehicle, 5mins to check oils and water, stick your card in, drive around the yard to your trailer, couple and then do your full checks … would that make DVSA get all excited because it wasn’t at the start of my shift and wasn’t 15 minutes ?

There is a “Failure to record a walk round check” listed in the Enforcement Sanctions Policy but this is for failing to record the time spent as work rather than not doing a check. The result is a Verbal Warning anyway.

So where was this gem of a DCPC course held then?

I give mine a good check over every night if there’s something wrong or I’ve picked up a puncture I’d rather mess about at night than ■■■■ around in the morning so my checks take all of 5 minutes in the morning oil water lights horn and a quick check again of tyres. My tacho shows a good 10-15 minutes every night and a bit in the morning I drive the same vehicle everyday so if there’s something a miss ill notice it.

Whilst a good organised driver can do the walk around checks in five minutes, I doubt if VOSA would consider that enough time if they then find a defect when they do their walk around checks at the roadside.

As we all know there is no arguing with VOSA… They are right and truck drivers are just a source of easy revenue… :open_mouth:

The first thing I check is that the f ooking things not been nicked…

Takes 5 mins in morning as I do checks at days end and at dinner.

Morning check is tyres and lights.
Check levels. Takes 5 min.

I believe you should check your motor after every drop or break.