Please Send To Your MP

Dear your MP’s name

We are all aware of the recent plight of the Leicester City footballers,
who may or may not be guilty. Press coverage and the involvement
of the local Member of Parliament played a large part in securing
their release on bail. Obviously the main reason for this being the “presumption of innocence”, which quite rightly is a basic human
right.

Does this presumption extend to all, or is it merely applied to the rich
and famous?. I ask this because at this time there are hundreds of
drivers languishing in prisons all over Europe, as a result of arrest over
matters over which they had no control.

One of the most emotive of these has to be John Vasey. John was arrested on Saturday, 1 March 2003, and is currently being held in
Perpignan Prison in the South of France. The following is a brief extract from the “Free John Vasey” website, which can be viewed in full at:

johnvasey.com/johnvasey/index.html

"Friday, 28th February 2003.
John left Cim Valles at 7:09 (local time) and went to the warehouse of J Rios, Ave Sant Julian, Granollers. This warehouse has the name on the wall outside. John waited until 9:30 (local time) when Maria Rodriguez arrived in a silver car - possibly an Opel Vector. She suggested that
John follow her to the loading point, which proved more difficult than usual, as John had to drive quite a way to turn around. Maria seemed
to be well known and familiar with the layout. On arrival at the loading point Maria took the blank CMR and went inside an office as John opened the doors of the trailer. A Spaniard - (description is difficult as John was not taking much notice), about 25 to 30 years of age, slim, dark, black hair and no glasses or facial hair - loaded 2 pallets of large cartons marked “Transdean - International removals”. As the trailer was empty, the Spanish man loaded the pallets right to the back with a pallet truck. During this time John was having a cigarette and sending a text message to his wife. Almost as soon as the loading was complete, Maria Rodriguez reappeared with the completed CMR. She told John that the cartons contained Ceramics, which the CMR confirmed at a glance, with a weight of just over 700kgs. John had no reason to be suspicious, as there was nothing unusual in the loading procedure.

John proceeded then to his other collections at Rubi, Barcelona and El
Prat de Llobregat on behalf of Alberto Fontana. After completing all of these loadings, he made his way back to France.

Saturday, 1st March 2003.
Shortly after midnight, John was searched on the Spanish /French
border in what appeared to be a routine control. French customs
officers opened several cartons, until they came to the cartons of
J Rios, which were sealed with shrink wrap and tape (as usual) to
prevent any unauthorised access and to stop the load from moving
on the pallet. It turned out that the cartons of J Rios contained 909kg
of cannabis resin. There was nothing else in the cartons and the pallets and cartons were not hidden in any way."

John has informed his family that at this time sixtyeight British drivers
are being held at Perpignan, most if not all, awaiting trial.

Presumption of innocence is a cornerstone of not just British, but
Western justice, and is quite obviously not being practised as vigorously
as it might be here in Great Britain.

I would respectfully ask that you look into this matter as a matter of
some urgency and that you ask all your colleagues to do the same, on
behalf of their own constituents who may be in the same position.

In order for you to gauge popular opinion, please view this website:

justicefordrivers.org/

Yours sincerely,insert your name here

Letter on its way to Michael Mates :slight_smile:

A letter is winging its way to Kim Howells. He’s got a reputation for making his views known. You never know…

sending letter to my local mp mark todd today i await replie.if i get one (he does replie to all his mail)i will post it on here

jon

I HAVE just sent mine of to my local M.P dont find he is much good so have also sent to to an other M P as well

good luck

cannonball

Did not send it to my mp cos think hes a muppet so have sent it to Tony Blair and the home secretary, and sent one to H.R.H. Prince Charles as well cos he has helped me in the past, sent him a letter and he or his helper sent it to the top for me hope this helps and there can be justice out of this injustice.

aS REQUESTED, LETTERS SENT ALTHOUGH I DO KNOW THAT M/PS CAN AND WILL ONLY ACT FOR THEIR OWN CONSTITUANTS, THEY DO NOT LIKE TO GET INVOLVED WITH OTHER AREAS. MY M.P DOES GIVE ME SOME ASSISTANCE AT TIMES DUE TO THE HELP LINE BEING IN HIS AREA. . I KNOW IT IS DIFFICULT FOR ALL THE DRIVERS FAMILIES , I HAD A NEW CASE IN ONLY YESTERDAY, A 60YR OLD MAN WHO HAS BEEN HELD IN FRANCE, HIS SON IS THINKING HIS DAD WILL BE RELEASED IN A DAY OR TWO BECAUSE HE IS INNOCENT, HE HAS TRIED FOR BAIL AND BEEN REFUSED, ( USUAL ) I HAVE ONLY HEARD OF A COUPLE OF DRIVERS GETTING BAIL OVER MANY YEARS AND WHEN THEY DO THEY USUALLY HAVE TO STAY IN FRANCE, THEY CAN NOT WORK AND MUST REPORT TO THE POLICE AT REGULAR TIMES. IT IS PROBABLY BETTER TO STAY IN THE PRISON, AS HARD AS THIS SEEMS, AND FIGHT THE CASE FROM THERE, AT LEAST WHEN THEY COME TO TRIAL AND SENTENCE IS GIVEN , WHICH IT USUALLY IS THE TIME SPENT INCARCERATED IS KNOCKED OFF THE SENTENCE AND AS LONG AS ANY CUSTOMS FINE IS PAID THEN THE DRIVER CAN GET HIS RELEASE.
I JUST WISH OUR GOVERNMENT WOULD FIGHT OUR CORNER A BIT MORE AND COME TO TERMS WITH THE FACT OUR MEN ARE GETTING A RAW DEAL ALL ROUND. DANNEKE

are there any drivers from Leicester in prison abroad - obviously the Leicester MP is good at helping to get prisoners released…