LETTER FROM JOHN VASEY

John Vasey 305 B 05/01/04
Ecrou 21745
Chemin de mailloles
BP 945
66000 PERPIGNAN
France

Dear Mam & Dad

There’s obviously been some mix up with the post and the letters haven’t been coming through in any particular order, no doubt due to the Christmas chaos so this is just a quick note for Vasco’s enquiries. It stems from your letter of before Christmas with the PDA printouts.
Unfortunately the attitude of some of the truck drivers here leaves a lot to be desired and of course we have those who are guilty and admit it, those who are guilty but plead innocent and the totally innocent. Nearly all of them are reluctant or nervous to put pen to paper about their cases or to openly support the campaign for me for fear of any effect it might have on them, their case or their family at home. Most seem only to willing to accept their fate and the inevitable prison sentence without to much legal fight but make all the right noises when we get together. Maybe that should tell us something. They are also very willing to let the campaign do the necessary work and accept any benefits it brings.
Of course the position in France is that we are all guilty anyway and we are charged with IMPORTATION as well as the TRANSPORTATION so we are guilty of that, either knowingly or unknowingly. That’s a very important point here.
There was a question of using the same solicitor or if we had made our own investigations. Most of the local solicitors accept the above conditions that we are guilty and work towards getting the smallest sentence possible and always want paying in advance, preferably in cash. The idea of using the same solicitor wouldn’t work because some of the people here are very paranoid and terrified that any one person might steal some sort of gain on them or find something that can be used to their own advantage. There is a lot of secrecy or ■■■■■■■■ stories about people’s cases and the relationship with their own solicitors. At times there is so much ■■■■■■■■ the stink makes you eyes water.
As far as I can tell from what I have been told nobody here at the moment has loaded at the same place or for the same agents but some names of big international freight forwarders have crept up amongst all the tales and we are aware of some repetition. It is highly probable that some of these companies could be involved without the driver’s knowledge. I must point out that not all of the loads involved were two pallets of ceramics although that does seem to be the most popular method. Any type of goods can be involved, from car parts, rubber matting, to exhibition equipment. I would also agree that it is a little strange to collect ceramics in Barcelona not Casteleon but when it is part of a groupage load which can contain anything there is no reason to question it, especially when that groupage load is for a very big player and loaded at their own warehouse!!!
Not all of the people here loaded in the Barcelona area but have ran up the coast from places south, they just happened to be stopped at this border crossing whilst heading up towards Calais.
As for the question of why we are still here in prison and the French government don’t do anything about it. Well it all comes down to statistics. The Customs on this border can report that they apprehend so many trucks and drivers with so many tones of illegal substances and it looks good for all concerned. They have us to blame and convict so don’t bother to do costly investigations into who is really responsible, the “Mr. Big” who sends or receives the goods.
Of course there is the question of kickbacks but we have no evidence of this although nearly all of us have had personal possessions consficated or liberated!!!
I hope this has helped to answer some of the questions although I have been deliberately vague in some areas, after all this has to go through censors and my Investigating Judge. I hope it has shed some light on the difficulties I have faced trying to raise some support for the campaign that is attempting to help us all who are innocent but it is very hard to sort the wheat from the chaff and there is a lot of selfishness here. Most people want to fight there own battles in their own way and in typical fashion don’t want to get involved in case somebody gets released or treated differently than they do.
We do all agree that it shouldn’t be the driver’s responsibility to check the contents of the load. After all ships Captains, airline Pilots and Train drivers aren’t held responsible if anything illegal is found in their care. It isn’t physically possible to check inside every box prior to or loaded onto a truck and if you did insist on it then you wouldn’t get any work or the consignment wouldn’t be accepted at the delivery point. Is it possible to check agents, consignors or delivery points before accepting a job and if so how many do or are we just grateful for a decent paying load in the right direction?
As I have already said it is highly possible that some very big well know names involved in international transport or freight forwarding may be included here. People that I at least would not have questioned and wouldn’t think twice about working for. It is certainly something to think about and I have gained something from this experience although it might not be all good. No doubt this will cause some sort of discussion if my family post it on the PDA site but I think it might be pertinent to anybody involved in international transport, particularly to Spain. I wouldn’t like anybody else to end up in this position and if this helps then I’m happy.
Keep the wheels turning and the best of luck to you all

Best Regards

John Vasey

i john i know how you feel . as my dad was in the same jail as you was in perppeion ,
how is your case coming on ,

Got everything crossed for you mate. Know what you are saying, walls have ears.

Good Luck John hope it all gets sorted, the word will get around!!

bigbird201:
Good Luck John hope it all gets sorted, the word will get around!!

Lets hope you don’t have to rely on luck John…let justic prevail.

And then lets see a change in French law

Err, that original post was made over 5 years ago and John has been home for a long time. :smiley: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
Err, that original post was made over 5 years ago and John has been home for a long time. :smiley: :smiley:

Shhh, don’t wake them from their dream world… :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

but he is back in France now (ish) for a court hearing
borrowed from another site

from The Newcastle Evening Chronicle:
WHEN innocent trucker John Vasey was freed from a French jail, he thought his nightmare was over.

But more than four years after being released, John, 48, flew out to France again today after being summoned back to court.

He has slowly rebuilt his life after 14 months of hell which started when he was arrested on suspicion of drug-smuggling.

Following his arrest in 2003, he lost his home and business and his marriage broke down as family and friends campaigned tirelessly for his release.

He now has a new driving job, and has since met girlfriend Suzie Eldin, 29, and his son David, 14, has moved back in with him.

But John’s hopes and dreams came crashing down around him when he was issued court papers which could see him facing another five to 10 years behind bars.

He has spent the past three months doing his own investigations to try to clear his name for good.

John, who lives in Rickleton Village, Washington, flew out to Barcelona just before Christmas to take photos of the warehouse where he was accused of collecting £2.5m of cannabis in sealed containers before smuggling it into France. His French lawyer flew over to the UK at the weekend and told him the case would go ahead — with or without him.

John was freed on bail in 2004 and returned to Washington for an emotional reunion with his family, especially his parents, Ken and Mary, who led the campaign to free him.

However, the French courts insisted there should be more investigations into his case both in the UK and in Spain, and it was not formally closed.

“We thought it was all over,” said John. “But there has not been any actual closure, so it has been hanging over me a little bit.

“The judge ordered more investigation, but as far as we can see, this hasn’t been done thoroughly.

“I have booked the ticket but whether I will use it or not I don’t know. It was a bit fraught saying goodbye. I was getting myself wound up. Suzie has been holding back the tears, but she couldn’t quite manage it when we got to the airport.”

Accompanying John in France is Newcastle lawyer Clive McKeag, who has supported John’s campaign for freedom since the outset. Mr McKeag initially feared that despite Mr Vasey’s claims of innocence, he would still be found guilty of drug-smuggling because of European law.

At the time, Mr McKeag told the Chronicle: “He was told he was picking up a consignment of ceramics. The consignment was on shrink-wrapped pallets tied with special tape put on by machine.

“He wouldn’t have been able to check to see what was in it because if he tampered with it by opening it, the consignment would not have been accepted at its destination.

“Because of a recent European law, the driver has sole responsibility for the contents of the consignment.”

John, hope that you do not
have too serious problems,
please if it is possible and
it will not harm your case
any chance of keeping us
informened Do hope that
you have got some sort of
backing from the newspapers,
and any others that can help you
all the best from us all here