Plant driver class2 pay

:question: i have been working as a class2 plant delivery driver based in east london essex area, delivering an collecting all over london kent essex cambridge herts etc, i also have my hiab licence, i think the firm may be using the recession as a moneysaver? when i got the job at xmas, there was a big pile of applicants, now my point, i am on £9ph based on 48hr wk, i have since found out other drivers in the area at rival firms are on a better pay, @£11ph, i have to load an unload a variety of stuff including containers, all size dumpers, excavators,rollers, compressors etc etc, i know i should be gratefull but my problem is travel to an from work is a fair way and the fuelis costing a fair bit, i love the job but may be forced to leave, so will let you know if i leave, as i may be better off takin a similar pay job closer to home, any sensible pay opinions would be good, some people have said “i wouldnt get outta bed for that” but i see £9 better than nothing jus wish i had what i think i should nearer the £11 as i enjoy the job…

If you are doing EXACTLY the same job as another driver in the same company and you are 100% sure that they are on a higher rate of pay then ASK the management why that is.

You could well be earning more money in the same job, maybe not per hour but you should be getting some overtime after 8 hours a day. I know that Hewden’s pay somewhere around £9 per hour for class 1 drivers (and usually drive class 2’s) but they also pay overtime (depending on depot’s) That said they get through a few drivers… I’ve worked for them as a contractor and even had a stint driving their waon but always paid on my usual rate.

I get 8 hours a day basic then overtime at time and a thirdish after that, usually driving a rigid beavertail but also covering our Hiab and Lowloader duties for the same money. Some of the plant we move can cost £200k or so we are paid a decent amount.

If nothing else your current job will have gained you loads of useful experience and will be handy if you want to change to another firm as many companies won’t take on an unexperienced plant driver. There are plenty of ways to die or injure someone in this job and whilst the plant never stops trying to kill you, a bit of experience goes a long way to keep yourself alive.

Well I’m still here.

donpablo:
:?: i have been working as a class2 plant delivery driver based in east london essex area, delivering an collecting all over london kent essex cambridge herts etc, i also have my hiab licence, i think the firm may be using the recession as a moneysaver? when i got the job at xmas, there was a big pile of applicants, now my point, i am on £9ph based on 48hr wk, i have since found out other drivers in the area at rival firms are on a better pay, @£11ph, i have to load an unload a variety of stuff including containers, all size dumpers, excavators,rollers, compressors etc etc, i know i should be gratefull but my problem is travel to an from work is a fair way and the fuelis costing a fair bit, i love the job but may be forced to leave, so will let you know if i leave, as i may be better off takin a similar pay job closer to home, any sensible pay opinions would be good, some people have said “i wouldnt get outta bed for that” but i see £9 better than nothing jus wish i had what i think i should nearer the £11 as i enjoy the job…

Scanny77 on these forums is the best person to ask about being a plant driver. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That’s got to be about 4 years ago now. :open_mouth:

cheers for that info, i have learnt a tremendous amount in the 4 months i have been there, and know wot u mean about the danger, 1 wrong move with a digger arm or a roller tipping off the ramp , etc etc, i know john f hunt drivers are on more even just the rigid drivers, dont know about orbital hire, i do 10 hours a day at £9 per hour i am also doin 200 miles a week in my own car to an from work and doin £120 a month in fuel, i am tempted by a tipper driver offer same hours on my doorstep an £10.40 an hour… i like the job drivin the plant but gotta think of my income, i think a lot of firms are enjoyin this recession as they have a pile of applicants for even lower than the goin rate of pay, a no win situation, but if i go they will have to train somebody new or get a out of work experienced plant driver…didnt mention i bein the new guy i got the 2000plate iveco, the other guy gets the scania! an thats a 53 plate, i jus gettin dissillusioned i like the job but it aint worth the effort time an money after my outgoins, so maybe time to move on, if i get the chance, at least i got a hiab an experience out of it…

I’ve not done tippers but I know that it can be a very full on job. Push push push as every load counts, at least this job is somewhat controlled by what needs collecting / delivering. If someone has got a mountain of spoil to move they are going to get a load of tippers in so that the machine on the heap is working flat out, if someone else can do 8 loads a day then your governor will expect the same.

If you are thinking about changing to another plant firm I’d make up some sort of business card with your details on and what experience you have got. Get some pictures of what you’ve been moving and loading and go and visit the various companies in person. Speak to the people and show them what you’ve been up to, anyone can wander in and spin a load of BS but if you’re armed with proof it back you up. It’s worked for me before.

I used to write a blog about what I got up to, it’s a handy CV of sorts with hundreds of pictures and an insight into the problems I’d deal with. Whilst I’m a familiar face at many of the plant hire firms in the area if I was canvassing somewhere I wasn’t known it’d be a good reference.