Average hourly rate for class 2

I know this is a bit of a daft question, and there are loads of variables in the equation, but the last few class 2 jobs I’ve enquired about with local haulage companies are paying barely minimum wage. So is this the norm? And if so why the eck have I just forked out a shed load of money to get my license? I was labouring under the misapprehension that the “driver shortage” would mean that companies would pay fair wages? :imp:
I know it is a step on the ladder to class 1 driving, but to be fair, from what I can see there ain’t that much difference in class 1 money and what I’m getting as a postie.
So what is a ball park average hourly rate for class 2?

£8 ish. Enjoy.

6.35 ph :sunglasses: :wink:

Think I’m going to have to stay where I am then, maybe do a bit of agency stuff on days off just to get some hours in. Already took a massive pay cut when I was made redundant end of last year, can’t afford another cut.

Depends where you live tbh

But yes a little over minimum wage sound about right there is not really a driver shortage they just keep saying there is

1st job - 9,5ph + OT multidrop terrible job
2nd job - 9,75ph + OT multidrop so so
3rd job - 450pw take home
4th job - 11ph SE

Class 2 less than 1 year
London + 30miles

In my area, £10 an hour self employed is pretty much the minimum…

But area’s vary, as do agencies…

It all depends where you are in the country. Where I am, in Herts, it would be £9-10 per hour minimum.

Very rarely does a company offer you the most money it can straight up. There is normally room for negotiation. Tell them what you think you are worth, and more importantly why you are worth it.

Keep looking, and keep your head up.

I’m newly qualified and £10 an hour but I also know a company that is £11.50 an hour, just waiting for them wanting new drivers and I’m in. Know the transport manager. Lucky me [emoji1]

I’m now on 13ph, class 2, other jobs i’ve had between 8.50-12.11 ph…It depends where you live and what your prepared to do…I’ve done alsorts from ■■■ tankering, Drainage to shop deliverys. I’m now a drayman. Stick with it.

check if you have a brakes yard close, I start straight in as a newbie 2/11/15 on 29K Monday Friday 06-00 15-00 salaried on the 5 days, if your in 18-00 the same, or early 13-00 you go early paid, and take the good with the bad, However Saturdays are paid overtime on top. Most drivers don’t like the cage work but its a way of getting my 2 years in and that suits me. This is Aylesford down south just off the M20 by Maidstone. I am 53 and forked out £1450 with exams for cat C. So direct starts are possible, but may have to do what others don’t want. Good luck with what you decide. Better than walking the post I would say for me, but all about choice.

In Essex, started on agency I was £10/hour (£11.50 if self employed) taken on full time £10.32 1.5x after 44 hours. Had my “C” 11 months now.

Sounds like there is hope then, just have to keep looking.
Thanks all for sharing.

Class 1 is £8ish around here. Pink link offered me £357 at 50 hours! :open_mouth:

South West is alright.

Started recently on £11.50 as a new driver with zero experience. Plenty of adverts for £10-£12 basic rate.

dave_890:
check if you have a brakes yard close, I start straight in as a newbie 2/11/15 on 29K Monday Friday 06-00 15-00 salaried on the 5 days, if your in 18-00 the same, or early 13-00 you go early paid, and take the good with the bad, However Saturdays are paid overtime on top. Most drivers don’t like the cage work but its a way of getting my 2 years in and that suits me. This is Aylesford down south just off the M20 by Maidstone. I am 53 and forked out £1450 with exams for cat C. So direct starts are possible, but may have to do what others don’t want. Good luck with what you decide. Better than walking the post I would say for me, but all about choice.

Good luck with that, I’ve never worked for Brakes (heard a lot about them though) but if it’s anything like Dominoes, they’ll work you into the grave.
I did a month on the Pizza’s about 15 years ago (I was 40 & a lot fitter than I am now [emoji57]) early starts 3-4am, 8 or 9 drops down south starting from around Staines to Woking-Brighton-Basingstoke & everywhere in between, keys for most stores, unload on your own, put half of it in the fridge, tacho on rest whilst unloading, bloody fridge droning above your head all day long, long hours including a couple of 15s each week, ■■■■■■■■■■■ shifts-meaning very few weekends off-Blah Blah Blah.
I lasted 4 weeks & went to work for a Poxy Farmer (that’s another story)

Anyway, Moral of the story is-keep your eyes peeled for other positions, you might like the work but I reckon that there are easier jobs out there.

MisterBitter:
South West is alright.

Started recently on £11.50 as a new driver with zero experience. Plenty of adverts for £10-£12 basic rate.

I’ve also recently noticed that South West seems to pay good, at least on adverts…

i kept getting offered rubbish wage on class 2 £8 ph got a 7.5t job at £8.50

People need to specify whether they are PAYE or Self Employed when quoting rates!!!

Peewee, I’m 99% certain you’re PAYE mate, and the rates of 11 to 12+ being quoted are Self Employed, which is always a couple of quid more than PAYE…

Evil8Beezle:
People need to specify whether they are PAYE or Self Employed when quoting rates!!!

Peewee, I’m 99% certain you’re PAYE mate, and the rates of 11 to 12+ being quoted are Self Employed, which is always a couple of quid more than PAYE…

yeah paye which at mo suits me down to ground