peter the plater

hello everybody who knew mw but mayby thought i was deaded,i aint .and am enjoying life in living in turkey,bin ere 5 yrs now,an bin reading this forum for a few months but cudnt seem too get accepted ,i know by the forum theres a lot of u i know but your using dif names ,so looking forward to chatting .peter wall

Welcome to the BB Peter,there’s lots to talk about!

Hello Peter, it’s great to hear from you again after twenty five years, like a lot of people I always enjoyed running with you as the job always seemed that much easier whenever we had a bit of a laugh. Most of the boys from South Wales would always stop and say hello and see if you had any problems, with yourself and Alfie Jones you could always have a good night out, sometimes just by parking in a lay-by or waiting at a border. I am sure that some people can remember a few anecdotes about you, I know that I have got a couple.
Anyway now that you are on here, The Bubbleman posted this photo a couple of months ago and I have a feeling that this was your old truck and that you are driving it. Am I right or am I having yet another senior moment :wink: .
Best regards Steve.

mushroomman:
Hello Peter, it’s great to hear from you again after twenty five years, like a lot of people I always enjoyed running with you as the job always seemed that much easier whenever we had a bit of a laugh. Most of the boys from South Wales would always stop and say hello and see if you had any problems, with yourself and Alfie Jones you could always have a good night out, sometimes just by parking in a lay-by or waiting at a border. I am sure that some people can remember a few anecdotes about you, I know that I have got a couple.
Anyway now that you are on here, The Bubbleman posted this photo a couple of months ago and I have a feeling that this was your old truck and that you are driving it. Am I right or am I having yet another senior moment :wink: .
Best regards Steve.

hi steve have too bear with me coz never used one of these forums b4,no the fotos driver was allan hobbs,i had one of the poverty models without a/c,cos hicks sed we was tuff an rugged an didnt need it haha,an my last trip was in a sedac an it hit 50c in baggas, an fink i melted ,me brain i mean ,cos i was a bit barmey in them days,like all others who done the job,but some sort of quality friends they were on that job,anyway bit cooler here just hitting 30 in shade so time for a dip ,cheers pete

Hi Peter

Check out the little ditto I put about you on Astran ME Drivers nice to hear you are not dead I also was 6ft under till I was found this forum,and let everone know I was alive ,Ive bin abused ever since :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: You will find there are a lot of guys who are no longer with us but thats the way it is .Good writing, and reading sometimes a lot of Bull s–t, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Roger(Rita) Haywood

Hello Peter, I dont know if you have seen this photo that I took outside The Blue Mosque in Istanbul with Christine, Yourself, John Bruce and Dennis. Wasn’t Dennis working for Hick’s at the time and what was his second name ?.
However, I am also confident that Rita will correct this statement should it be incorrect :wink: .
Best regards Steve.

Perhaps most remember Peter Wall for the wrong reasons. Firstly he was a ■■■■ good driver to be with as most Hicks Drivers were and secondly he was a fine cook. I wonder if he still carries a stock of Welsh Leeks…or did we eat them all at Arar…

Reddesertfox:
Perhaps most remember Peter Wall for the wrong reasons. Firstly he was a ■■■■ good driver to be with as most Hicks Drivers were and secondly he was a fine cook. I wonder if he still carries a stock of Welsh Leeks…or did we eat them all at Arar…

Indeed he was a fine cook, could of been another reason why he was called The Plater :unamused: .
I remember that little grocers/butchers shop on the main road going through Budapest just before the Taurus tyre factory where Peter would often stop and buy a load of Vienna schnitzels. You were always assured of a good feed coming out of his trailer box and I remember him and a couple of Hick’s lads being envious because I always carried a couple of tins of beetroot and a couple of tins of blackpudding. They told me that you couldn’t buy tinned blackpudding in South Wales in the 80’s, were they pulling my leg or what :confused: .
Remembering him for the wrong reasons, I can’t remember any, well only one :laughing: and yes, he was an excellent driver to run with.
Regards Steve.

Hey Guys

Your all talking like he is not with us stop using the word ( WAS )

Rita

Rita…As for most of us it is 20+ years since we saw Peter, or indeed tasted his food and therefore the correct grammer must be “was” who knows he may have now lost his touch (At many things)

foxy

I stand corrected and bow to you knowledge of the English it was only a metephor (hows that )

Rita

foxy
Dam Missprinted METAPHOR (big words i will leave them alone)

Rita

sinbin31:
Hey Guys

Your all talking like he is not with us stop using the word ( WAS )

Rita

I give up.

When Peter gets around to reading some of the recent entries he will probably get flash backs of driving a car with the kids fighting in the back seat…
I hesitated in joining this forum for weeks after being informed of it, as it is something I do not normally get involved in, but the temptation was too much at the time after picking up names of old mates from the past. Maybe I should of just spectated from a distance as I do consider, there are those on the forum who only want to pick holes and make contradictions of all that is written…

Reddesertfox:
When Peter gets around to reading some of the recent entries he will probably get flash backs of driving a car with the kids fighting in the back seat…
I hesitated in joining this forum for weeks after being informed of it, as it is something I do not normally get involved in, but the temptation was too much at the time after picking up names of old mates from the past. Maybe I should of just spectated from a distance as I do consider, there are those on the forum who only want to pick holes and make contradictions of all that is written…

There may be people who just want to pick holes but there is plenty like me who would love to hear your contributions and stories of any far away travels so please dont spectate from the distance Reddesetfox.

reg colin :slight_smile:

Dont let the bad bits spoil it for you as there are some great memories on here. We all know the memories fade over the years and it may not all be spot on. Some of it is banter some is grumpy old men having an off day.
BUT KEEP THEM STORIES AND PICS A COMING.
For anybody interested take a look at thec bt hicks website there are a few nice old pics on there.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :cry: :cry: :cry: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rita

Roger, I really can’t understand why you spend so much time dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s. We all know that you did the job for many years so why don’t you use your time more constructively and share some of your experiences with all of us. Is it because it’s so easy to keep saying bullpoo all the time but it’s a lot harder to justify any statement that you don’t agree with and if it’s something that you have never heard of before it doesn’t mean it’s not true.
I have been for sometime now in touch with three bus pass holders who did the Middle East in the 70’s, they have all told me on more than one occasion how much that they enjoy reading most of the stories on these sites. A lot of these stories they can relate to as they have also been in similar positions themselves many years ago. No doubt that the names of some of the places that are mentioned on here brings back memories to anybody who were lucky enough
( or unlucky enough ) to have been to them.
I have asked them to share their stories but as they don’t wish to be ridiculed if they get the date wrong or a border crossing incorrect two of them have declined to submit anything. In my opinion it’s a shame because these fellows experiences will be lost forever. Everybody is not as technically minded as you Roger one of these old fellows finds it a lot easier to phone me than it is to e-mail me. I know of four ex Middle East guys who I used to work with who are Trucknet members and read these posts regularly.
I wonder how many other old Middle East fellows are out there lurking :unamused: .
Obviously we don’t all become grumpy old men overnight, some of us have had years of experience.

Regards Steve.

Well Well Steve,

That was a bigger mouthfull than I put down it WAS ment as a joke but it seems to have backfired,Ohwell nevermind,my dry sense of humour as I am not alowed beer any more as the belly is growing, and Im not a grumpy old man far from it , I will have to choose my words carefully from now on.

Roger

Hi All.

I too have been reading the forums for months regarding the M/E and related subjects.
I have enjoyed reading and allowing the memory to be jogged. I read the stories and ogle at
the photos (not in a ■■■■■■ way) and keep thinking “Oh yes I remember them or that place”
This place is like an old encyclopedia for me!!
I hesitated for a while before joining and I thought what the hell, but will warn you know my
memory is not as sharp as you guys and i’m bloody useless with dates.
I look forward to chatting with you all but not in a PC manner, As this phrase did not exist when
were doing the M/E, “Just how it was is fine by me”.

Best wishes to you all :smiley:
Jake Brake