Ouch !Southport,, Saturday 25 March

Southport, Saturday 25 March, a day this driver won`t forget.

How do you explain this one ■■?.
10ft 9inch, this bridge has been hit loads of times, and has loads of warning signs on both sides of bridge. driver was ok but a bit shook up & as red as his trailer.

He’ll blame his SatNav for making him go that way. :wink: :smiley:

Oh dear oh Dear… wonder if that was one from Sherburn or lea green?? Pity i cant see the reg on the unit… been off since saturday so will find out tomorrow i guess!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

How on earth did he think he was going to get underneath? I mean, it’s not even close to fitting…

As part of your test they should put more of a fear in to you about hitting low bridges and dropping trailers. I remember passing my test in a wagon and drag and then in to Safeway in a normal unit, muddled through the coupling procedure and am amazed I didn’t cause any damage. I have a healthy fear of hitting low bridges and have the atlas that shows bridge heights which no truck driver worth his salt should be without. I wonder if he was wearing a seat belt? Bet he nutted the steering wheel pretty hard if he wasn’t.

i agree with flibble it wasnt a close thing he looked at least 3’ wrong.
did he not see the signs saying 10’ 9" and think that it might be a bit tight but then on the other side of things it was proberly his last day on the job anyway. i hope this dosent affect his reduncy.

A true idiot driver if ever I saw one. The quicker people like him who don’t understand bridge heights are off the road the better. As nomad98 says, there is plenty of advance warning about the height, even clearly marked on the bridge too.

I don’t know how the runs at their firm work but I would’ve thought they’d be on a set route, so the drivers would go the same way to the same shops everyday? :confused: A few drivers I know that work for Tesco say that if they get sent to a shop they’ve not been to before they are given full instructions on how to get to it …

And similar to Silver_Surfer I have a fear to colliding with bridges too. That’s why I always consult my Trucker’s Atlas if going on a different route to normal, double check my height and keep my eyes peeled for signs when approaching a bridge. If somehow I missed the sign, I’d rather stop, Get Out And Look.

i dont no the facts but i no from someones experince it is not always the drivers fault. the height numbers could off been wrong on the trailer who nows could of been numarous things i think in my opion bad comment by yeti we dont no the facts untill we do i would not judge

teddy_0781:
i dont no the facts but i no from someones experince it is not always the drivers fault. the height numbers could off been wrong on the trailer who nows could of been numarous things

Sorry Teddy I’ve got to disagree, it’s not numerous things it is one thing - the driver is an idiot. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: It is 100% the drivers fault as it is their responsibility to know, and if in doubt check, the height of their vehicle.

This one isn’t even a close thing, the unit didn’t have enough clearance,** never mind the trailer. It’s a 10’ 9" bridge, what driver with half a brain is going to think a box type trailer will fit under that? You wouldn’t even have to measure that trailer to know it is higher than 10’ 9", it is obvious just from looking at it. From the damage to the trailer it looks as if he wasn’t exactly trying to crawl under the bridge, so it seems he approached it with no thought that it wouldn’t fit.

**You can see from pictures two and three the air deflector is in contact with the bridge and they had to lower it to get the vehicle out, picture four.

i susppose he could count himself lucky the unit came out unscathed,but then there’s the wasted goods as well as trailer.
even when you know you will get under a bridge,if it looks close you go that slow that if you do clip it,its only paint or plasic being chipped,NOT wrecked.

Coffeeholic:

teddy_0781:
i dont no the facts but i no from someones experince it is not always the drivers fault. the height numbers could off been wrong on the trailer who nows could of been numarous things

Sorry Teddy I’ve got to disagree, it’s not numerous things it is one thing - the driver is an idiot. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: It is 100% the drivers fault as it is their responsibility to know, and if in doubt check, the height of their vehicle.

This one isn’t even a close thing, the unit didn’t have enough clearance,** never mind the trailer. It’s a 10’ 9" bridge, what driver with half a brain is going to think a box type trailer will fit under that? You wouldn’t even have to measure that trailer to know it is higher than 10’ 9", it is obvious just from looking at it. From the damage to the trailer it looks as if he wasn’t exactly trying to crawl under the bridge, so it seems he approached it with no thought that it wouldn’t fit.

**You can see from pictures two and three the air deflector is in contact with the bridge and they had to lower it to get the vehicle out, picture four.

fair enough but to a new driver or ridgid (or stupid) driver may not no trailer height and fifth wheel heights is this not lack of training or as i say wrong trailer numbers i have looked at many trailers and no way is that a certain height measure again only fom experince

And the height of the trl will be on it and in the cab even if it wasnt he needs his eyes testing, i mean he has’nt exactly been crawling under the bridge has he. anyone who hit’s a bridge should be given a massive fine and be banned from driving HGVs for a period of time.

Bring back the birch :laughing:

mark croft:
i susppose he could count himself lucky the unit came out unscathed,

I don’t think it escaped completely unscathed, in pic three you can see the air deflector is damaged (just to the right of the aerial as you look at the picture)

There could also be considerable stain-age on the driver’s seat. :blush: :blush: :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Dafman:
And the height of the trl will be on it and in the cab even if it wasnt he needs his eyes testing, i mean he has’nt exactly been crawling under the bridge has he. anyone who hit’s a bridge should be given a massive fine and be banned from driving HGVs for a period of time.

Bring back the birch :laughing:

disagree the height of mycab is 14,9 on a daf cf so it reads

teddy_0781:
fair enough but to a new driver or ridgid (or stupid) driver may not no trailer height and fifth wheel heights is this not lack of training or as i say wrong trailer numbers i have looked at many trailers and no way is that a certain height measure again only fom experince

Sorry, again I have to disagree. Surely you don’t even need to be a truck driver, or the driver of anything, to know with just a look that there is no way that trailer is less than 10" 9’. It is basic common sense.

It is the law that you have the correct height in your cab, it is down to your boss to make sure it is correct, Do you think he said oops, i just hope he had his belt on.

It is basic common sense.

Sadly something lacking in a lot of drivers today

teddy_0781:
disagree the height of mycab is 14,9 on a daf cf so it reads

Teddy, the height indicator in the cab of a tractor unit , in most cases, will give the height of the trailer unless the trailer is lower than the cab, such as a flatbed… Mind you you still need to know the height of the unit when running solo.

Dafman:
i just hope he had his belt on.

I think that is possibly the driver wearing the don’t knock me down vest in pic one. He looks a bit sheepish but thankfully unhurt.

How long before someone posts the “I was just delivering this bridge, officer” joke?

Or did I just post it? :blush: :blush: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: