Ordered to drive 10 hours...?

Whats the situation here…■■
I always thought that we drive 9 hours per day which can be extended to 10 twice a week but it was the drivers choice ? Or can your traffic office order you to drive 10, please forgive my ignorance here guys. :blush:

It all depends on your contract of employment, if you’re contracted for a certain amount of hours then by law you don’t have to exceed them, if however, it’s not stated then you would be expected to do it so long as you’re not exceeding your weekly/fortnightly/WTD limit. I think :open_mouth:

Smee:
I always thought that we drive 9 hours per day which can be extended to 10 twice a week but it was the drivers choice ? Or can your traffic office order you to drive 10, please forgive my ignorance here guys. :blush:

sure the RTD is 10 hours driving 40.5 hours driving 45min break 4.5 hours driving 45min break then got 1 hour left to park up for night, i never come close to 9 hours driving so not def sure :exclamation: :question: :question: no doubt coffeeholic and or ROG or heaven forbid delboytwo will be along shortly :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

I think you’ll find that if you’re asked to do this and you refuse regularly, your employer may have to rethink whether you’re suitable to be a driver that they want working for you.

If the 10 hrs drive is the difference between getting to your destination or not and you don’t co-operate it may well mean your employer losing a valuable contract resulting in you and your colleagues being out of work.

But on the other hand, if journeys are planned to have to rely on 10 hours driving, the same employer sets themselves up to fail as any traffic delay will result in a late delivery. The extra hour should really be used for emergencies rather than part of a run to get to the destination.

Let’s be realistic - If you have a 10 hour available and your TM knows this then I think it would be reasonable of that TM to ask you to use it to do a particu;ar run.
If on that run, whether it be 2 hours or 10 hours, and you feel too tired to do it then you have the right to terminate it on the grounds of safety.

I don’t know many drivers who, at the start of a shift, could say - “I can only do 9 hours driving because I know I will be too tired to do 10”

In this particular case I found it very tiring since I had been on duty since 04.00 for which I need to be awake at 03.00… :question:

Roadsafety comes first and it you driving over 9 hrs may result in causing accidents you did the right thing.

However, if this happens regularly you may find yourself in trouble.

Incidentally, and as I have mentioned, if your employer regularly relies on 10 hr driving days I suggest you bring it to their attention that they are planning to fail.

Smee:
In this particular case I found it very tiring since I had been on duty since 04.00 for which I need to be awake at 03.00… :question:

Do I assume that you were asked to use a 10 hours driving day part way through your shift :question:

Our biggest problem is our planners haven’t got a clue… :imp: …They couldn’t run a bath… :smiling_imp:

Smee:
Our biggest problem is our planners haven’t got a clue… :imp: …They couldn’t run a bath… :smiling_imp:

That’s not exactly NEWS :wink: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Smee:

mine couldnt tip water out of a bucket even if the instructions were written on the bottom at times :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused:

Smee:

no planner would ever “order” me to do anything tbh,they could ask though.
the one line which will always go in your favour is
"gonna pull over now to park up,im feeling rather tired.your not asking me to drive whilst tired are you?,because that would be illegal. :wink:

So you’re tired after nine hours, 45 minutes on the bunk (legal requirement), another hours driving easy peasy, simples :unamused: