10 hour driving

:confused: I keep getting told by other drivers that if you do a 10 hour drive it must be followed with an 11 hour break, I cannot find any referance to this in any regulations, also I have been told that you cannot do two 10 hour drives on consecative days. I don’t belive either of these are in the drivers hours regulations, but if they are can someone point me to where they are please. :question:

jimti:
:? I keep getting told by other drivers that if you do a 10 hour drive it must be followed with an 11 hour break, I cannot find any referance to this in any regulations,

That’s because it’s not in the regulations and is simply another ‘Driver’s Urban Legend’ In doing a 10 hour driving day you have to have had 1.5 hours of break which brings your day up to 11.5 hours. add in loading/unloading, fueling, daily checks etc and the chances are you will exceed 13 hours duty for the day and as soon as you have done that it is impossible to take an 11 and you will automatically be taking a reduced rest.

The daily rest must be taken within the 24 hours starting from when you began work and anything more than 13 hours from 24 leaves less than 11. So no matter if you park for 11, 12 ,13 or more hours, less than 11 will be within the 24 so you will be having a break of less than 11 hours.

jimti:
also I have been told that you cannot do two 10 hour drives on consecative days.

Again it’s another ‘Driver’s Urban Legend’

These two ‘rules’ usually go hand in hand with the other old chestnut ‘You can’t do a 9 hour break at home’ which is also not true.

Thank, just as I thought, but decided to pose the question so others not so sure can refer to your answer :smiley:

the point as i see it is would you want to only do a 9 at home

if you know your on for 10 drive do 3;20 x 3 with 2 one hour breaks

I tell you what Jimti, I got the bile trying to get me head round the tacho laws, I got the davey drivers hours gaurd, and after a bit of learning (me being a bit thick) it’s all done for me now, and a lot less hassle than thinking about bloody laws all the while! :slight_smile:

Mal.