One month on...

Hardly seems possible but it’s over a month since I had my first ever Agency driving assignment. Except for one occasion, I’ve only worked one day a week, so I’ve only actually been driving seven times - six of them with the same haulier, five of them in the same truck! Most of it has been single drops at supermarket RDCs, all of it has been simple palletised loads.

So I’m wondering now what is the best way forward to gain a bit more experience, especially with roping/sheeting etc. Heck, I don’t even know how to tie a Dolly Knot, or how to use the straps that are hanging off a pole along the roof of the curtainsider…

Any pointers gratefully accepted.

(Those seven drives have also put about 500 quid in my piggy bank - another few weeks and my lessons will have been paid for!)

I’ve got 19 shifts under my belt since the first one on October 15th. I think the best thing I did was join two agencies, I’m now getting more than enough from the 2 of them,
I can’t help you with roping up but re. curtains, I was a bit wary until I was forced to use them due to a load being too heavy to drag to the back. They are simple, but can be awkward if the mechanism is old and worn. They are tensioned by a ratchet device below the body at the end, sometimes both ends. You let go the straps holding the curtains down to the bed, then let the tension off the ends. Try to have a look at this in the daylight, the dark is not the time if your not familiar with them. Once the tension is off, the pole can be lifted, usually the front one, this releases it from the slot in the tensioning device and it drops down a few inches as you pull it towards you. You should then be able to pull the curtain back. Some can be released either end, some only one end. I hope all this makes sense. BTW, use gloves!! Better yet, get a demo!!!
Gordy

I can’t help you as I am training for class 2
but I look forward to reading this to pick
up some tips.

These to look interesting -

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ain+siders

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … ain+siders

Dolly knots, are useful but sadly a skill that very few have now as is sheeting, as with few hauliers using flatbeds it’s not a skill that is required of many.
The Straps that hang down in a curtainsider can either be used over a pallet to stop sideways movement or between items to stop foward / rear movement, or a combination of both, they have a ratchet & hook & are very similar to the curtain straps to use, you just slide the top into position & hook the clip under the trailer, as per curtains & then ratchet.
Agencies are IMHO the best way to gain exsperience & if one agency is not providing the work try another, at this time of the year there should be plenty of work.
One point worth mentioning always try to get the curtain under the top drip band when replacing the side curtains as this prevents water damage to the load, not a problem with many loads but if you need a dry trailer for paper etc a big problem.

daxi:
One point worth mentioning always try to get the curtain under the top drip band when replacing the side curtains as this prevents water damage to the load, not a problem with many loads but if you need a dry trailer for paper etc a big problem.

And if you don’t, the top edge of the curtain and/or the pelmet/drip band will get damaged. It will eventually become impossible to get the top of the curtain inside the pelmet and every load will get wet if it rains.

I’d go hunting for another agency if I were you…

My agency has had me working EVERY DAY i’m allowed… They are the 5th i’ve tried in 18months and are the best by a long way… :wink:

Granted, since I passed, not every job has been C1 but I think this is down to the client more than anything…
Either way, I’ve had my licence back for 16days now and I had my 9th day out in an artic yesterday… :smiley:

As for what the equipment does (straps, suspension, etc) Either have a play by yourself, if it’s safe to do so, or just ask another driver (NOT just staff, cuz they don’t know or care)
Nearly everyday I have summut new to work out, whether it’s where the trailer brake is located today, how to move the partitions (thats a good one… !! ), what tail-lift buttons do what, a new type of gearbox, etc… the list is endless and sometime it can be a bit much to take in, but stick with it and before you know it drivers will be asking YOU how stuff works… :wink:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

Chrisie (Ragtop) said

the list is endless and sometime it can be a bit much to take in, but stick with it and before you know it drivers will be asking YOU how stuff works…

Yeah like, hey love, you been in this game a while, how do I get the lid of my mascara!
:smiley:

■■■

John

Looks to me like you are asking for a severe slapping there Jayho :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

She’s probably winding the slapping arm up as we speak :wink: .

JayHoe:
Yeah like, hey love, you been in this game a while, how do I get the lid of my mascara!

■■■

John

hmmmm brave or mad :laughing: :laughing:

LOL,

nah, Chrisie sounds too nice for that!

Ragtop:
I’d go hunting for another agency if I were you…

My agency has had me working EVERY DAY i’m allowed…

They ARE getting me work every day that I’m allowed! - I have a full time job as well and have to fit in driving work and daily/weekly rest periods during my days off. I sometimes have to turn them down simply because of Drivers’ Hours Regulations…