curtainsiders

Hi all, in my three years of driving i have never drove a curtainsider…
The company i worked for for three years didn’t use them, so i have no experience in handling them or driving them… :blush:
Have just signed up for an agency so i’m bound to come across one sooner or later.

Any advice on things to make sure are correct on opening and closing them, and any other advice will be welcome.

Might sound a stupid subject, but i’d sooner ask on here than ask someone in the delivery yard.

Firstly there’s a variety of different poles ([zb]s get everywhere :laughing: ) but it’s fairly obvious to work out how to release the ratchet and get the pole out. The buckles are also straight forward. Keep it all tight but don’t overdo it - common sense should tell you when it’s about right. Flapping curtains don’t do much for fuel consumption and make gusts of wind knock the trailer about even more,

The big issue really is working outside with them if there is any wind. If possible, open the downwind side first so that it is protected by the other curtain. It is very hard to control a curtain that is blowing out from the trailer, and them poles can give you a nasty clout if they are loose. It is worth only opening half a side at a time if it is very windy. Think first, 'cos once the pole is out it’s a ■■■■■ to get back if you picked the wrong side :smiling_imp:

Personally I strap just about every pallet with the internal straps (if they are there and working - forkies love to break them for fun :imp: ) as the curtains won’t usually hold a lot of weight in if one does go over.

I’ve only really driven cutainsiders, so I don’t know how much they differ from boxes etc. - quieter than a fridge at night though :laughing:

Can’t think of much else about them that isn’t fairly obvious once you get one. Just be careful of the buckles in tight spaces - if you catch them you can rip the curtain (note to self - don’t want to do that again!)

I’m sure someone else will come up with the bits I’ve missed :blush:

we used to use air curtains where by you just put the buckles underneath the trailer on a moving bar return to the front of the trailer press a button and the air pulls the bar you attached the buckles to tightening the curtains. ypu still have to ratchet it first though

what ever you do do not leave the ratchet bar out as it can rip your suzis and airlines off :blush: :blush: :blush: manouvering in tight yards

jon

Agree with everything that’s been said so far, don’t overtighten the buckles as it damages the runners and makes the curtains stick. There is a happy medium between flapping curtians and having as tight as a drum.

Watch out when lifting out the roof supports, (not all trailers have then) especially on older trailers, the have a tendency of not moving, then springing out and hitting you in the face.

Be wary of opening bulging curtains, might end up with the contents of the trailer on you head.

However for doing what the were designed for carrying palletised goods they make the work pretty easy.

gardun:
Personally I strap just about every pallet with the internal straps (if they are there and working - forkies love to break them for fun :imp: ) as the curtains won’t usually hold a lot of weight in if one does go over.

How do people driving pre-loaded trailers handle this? Most of the stuff I do (supermarkets, etc.) are pre-loaded curtainsiders from RDCs; I don’t think I’ve ever had a pre-loaded trailer where the pallets have been strapped. In fact, I don’t think most trailers have had internal straps at all.

What would you guys do if you were in this situation?

Try and wear gloves when re-fitting the poles when its very windy, it’s easy to get your fingers nipped, also safety glasses, I speak from experience of a few near misses!