Going on first job on Monday need help please

Got a 2 week trial at a haulage firm. They know I am not experienced in haulage, but didn’t explain to me how to secure pallets inside the curtainsider, they just said use straps inside curtainsider and ask others to explain how to use them. But I think at 4am nobody will be willing to dedicate their time to explain, so I am concerned as I will be fined by DVSA if I don’t do it properly.

Does anyone have a link to a video/s or photos of how it’s meant to be done?

Cheers

Thanks, I had a look. I know how to use a ratchet. I don’t know how to secure a pallet within a curtainsider. They are just hanging inside a wagon, where do I pin them to?

romik:
Thanks, I had a look. I know how to use a ratchet. I don’t know how to secure a pallet within a curtainsider. They are just hanging inside a wagon, where do I pin them to?

Sorry I misread your post.

Most curtain-siders will have anchorage points on the bed, they’re usually steel hoops, if you can’t use them anchor the straps onto the chassis if possible.

Thank you. I just noticed that my 1st wagon is a box, thank God for that :slight_smile: need to learn quickly

Not being funny, but, why the hell don’t they send you out with someone for a couple of days. You’ve told them that you have no experience & they’re going to let you loose in a wagon with potentially, a high value load & expect you to get it to its destination in one piece (& with your sanity intact as well at the end of the day)
It’s not the same company that Contraflow posted about, is it ? (About the walk round check)

martinviking:
Not being funny, but, why the hell don’t they send you out with someone for a couple of days. You’ve told them that you have no experience & they’re going to let you loose in a wagon with potentially, a high value load & expect you to get it to its destination in one piece (& with your sanity intact as well at the end of the day)
It’s not the same company that Contraflow posted about, is it ? (About the walk round check)

I’m agency. My first job I was thrown a set of a keys and told to get on with it.

I had a ■■■■■■■■ of paperwork to sign go through, CPC tested on hours, but most importantly not shown how to secure load, operation of cirtainsider (they put me onto a box at least), they don’t do double manning. But I do agree, they should have done a proper induction, on Monday I am off on 3-4 nights, not having a bloody clue what’s what. Frantically going through Youtube to latch onto at least some info.

Best of luck with your new start.

Even if its a box , you still may need to use straps. If you are transporting cages for example.

Don’t be shy bout asking questions at 4am in the morning. All the drivers there will have been in your place at some point so will be willing to help out (I have found in my own experience) Make sure the guy in the office knows as well, he may ask some one to give you a quick induction.

Most important, it’s not a race. Just take your time and don’t panic.

As I said, Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for suggestions and reassurance s, he said same thing - they will help. I don’t even know what to take with me apart from blanket/pillow/change of clothes/tinned food/mobile phone /atlas and a satnav.

Radar19:

martinviking:

I’m agency. My first job I was thrown a set of a keys and told to get on with it.

More fool the company.
We’ve had a few agency guys lately & most of them are fairly experienced, but we’ve had a few disasters as well.
If I was in charge (thank God I’m not) every one would be assessed & if they needed training, then so be it.
Agencies should send experienced drivers or at least get them trained up for a couple of days.
It’s all about forward planning, get a pool of agency drivers who are capable of doing the job or be prepared to train them up, a little bit of investment at the beginning can save a lot of heartache at the end.

romik:
Thanks a lot for suggestions and reassurance s, he said same thing - they will help. I don’t even know what to take with me apart from blanket/pillow/change of clothes/tinned food/mobile phone /atlas and a satnav.

Bottle of water and a flask of your preferred hot drink.

Also , make sure you give yourself enough time in the morning to have a tommy tight , you never know when you will next see a bog :wink:

I think some companies have such high turnover of drivers that they simply can’t be bothered as people leave and new ones come in, IMO they (some of course) just leave it to individuals to pick up, if you wanna learn then ask questions, just sign here that you know what you are doing

Fs give the dude a break… how did the rest of you all start eehh? We all have learn. Im still learning myself i just passed my c+e in march and havent drove artic yet. Been with agency for months! And drove class c for a week and 7.5 for few weeks. Agency aint doin ■■■■ for me for c+e. So i rejected the rest of 7.5, handed more cvs out. I rang a guy last week threw a friend. Im from n.ireland. so is the guy that runs fleet in england. He told me he couldnt give me shot at it due to experince. I said fair enough. Then i got talkn to him for half hour on phone. He runs fleet here in n.ireland as well. Told me… tell you what ill let you out with my driver you can work away. then my driver can report back to me. If your good come to england and drive for me. Ive still to call due to bein in spain last week. So think shall ring tommorw. I thought he meant me as passanger. Me driving :smiley: . So hope goes well. And hope goes well for you buddy :smiley:

romik:

Trampers guide

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=90870&p=1305146#p1305146

HTH

Just take basics… What area you in. Someone might meet up and give you a few tips

Anything your not sure about ask. If its a box there are straps & shoring bars.
Essential items to take with you, truck map, pen & paper, money, phone & charger, flask, food , baby wipes. Don’t forget your paperwork for the load .

romik:

FLIP FLOPS
:slight_smile:

nick2008:
Just take basics… What area you in. Someone might meet up and give you a few tips

^^^^good idea

Baby wipes ■■?