Oldest truck or trailer

marky:

Limey:
There’s an old grey F88 on an “N” suffix running around the Imingham area, pulling 40ft containers. It’s a day cab with an extra axle added. The axles are so close together it’s hard to detect a fuel tank and it could be described as neither a traditional 6x2 nor a Chinese Six!

That was a 4x2 sleeper-cabbed F88, but the owner cut the back half of the cab off so he could put the fuel tank on the back when the additional axle was fitted.

The back panel is actually made of marine-ply.

Would love to see a picture of that :wink: Get your camera phones out!

Btw what are the rules these days around emissions etc for running old wagons?? Can you still blast about pulling loads with say an old Commer or Foden 2 stroke belching out fumes??

Any info welcome. Thanks

wagonpics.com/allsorts2volvo3pic.jpg
L reg…
This is a thread on here, and i did see it a couple of months ago.
Bought back some excellent memories to me, as i used to skive off school to go to Switzerland with my dad in an F88, i loved them until dad turned up one day in a brand new Volvo F10, think the badge on the door said F1017? It was the first generation F10/12 series with the flat roof (and i dont mean it wasnt a Globetrotter, the first generation F10/12 had a flat roof (similar to a car transporter does nowadays)) i still got a big soft spot for the 88/89 though. My uncle had one as well, a left ■■■■■■, with an extra mirror in the passenger side footwell, and it had the ladder on the side and a “roof rack” on the top, that was the real dogs danglies :smiley:

I last saw thar grey F88 about four years ago, its a twin steer and must be ultra rare if not unique for a F88. An S reG Globetrotter must have been recabbed as JJ72 suggests, as I believe they were all flat roofed till the early 80’s. We operated a lot of F10’s from 86 onwards and they were undoubtedly excellent wagons.

The first F10 I saw was pulling a DFDS trailer into Hollands Pies at Accrington in the seriously cold winter of 78 ,. I was there with my first wagon , a 69 TK so I was a bit envious, though it never let me down in that bad weather.

Bowmur were running some yankee goosenecks and some 20’ skellies a few years back and if I remember right, some were from the 60’s , if they still run thewm now I dont know.

At my last company we still used about ten single axle trailers running on Rubery axles plus air suspension manufactured in 74,

marky:

Limey:
There’s an old grey F88 on an “N” suffix running around the Imingham area, pulling 40ft containers. It’s a day cab with an extra axle added. The axles are so close together it’s hard to detect a fuel tank and it could be described as neither a traditional 6x2 nor a Chinese Six!

That was a 4x2 sleeper-cabbed F88, but the owner cut the back half of the cab off so he could put the fuel tank on the back when the additional axle was fitted.

The back panel is actually made of marine-ply.

How come you know about that motor??!!

I passed it on the way into Immingham earlier this year, and stopped in a layby to get the camera ready to bag it. I waited and waited and waited… Apparently it was subbing for ABP Connect in Immingham - I asked them when I was there afterwards!

I’ve seen it on the M180, but I think Vaughan Pearce told me about it before that.