O LICENCE APPLICATION

Just received a quote from Johnston Publishing (yorkshire post, wakefield express etc):

Publication Evening Post
Size 4x2
Classification Public Notices
Colour Black
Start Date 09/05/2013
End Date 09/05/2013
No. Inserts 1
Total Net: £413.44
VAT: £82.68
Gross Total:
£496.12

Anyone know of a cheaper option? My proposed operating centre is in Rothwell. Between Wakefield and Leeds.

Dazzler:
That price isn’t unusual, I think I paid a bit more than that for my ad.

You cannot advertise it in a free paper.

Where does it say that??

Cold Up North:

Dazzler:

Where does it say that??

It doesn’t say specificaly, but (and I am fully prepared to stand corrected on this) form GV81 (Apps) does say is that it cannot be advertised in an ’ Ad only paper’, which everywhere I have ever lived, is the only free paper that ever comes through my door.

It states that it must be placed in a paper, circulating in the area of the operating centre, that also contains other planning notices.

Every paper that contains planning noitices is always a local, paid for, paper.

A case of ‘reading between the lines’ really.

Put it in the local free ads and see what Leeds have to say.

Here is chapter and verse about advertising the application.

Portsmouth News is the only paid-for newspaper in Portsmouth, England.

Is this still the case? :open_mouth:

Just been down to my local newspaper office to submit my add for an O licence and was told it would be £250. I have no choice as I have to advertise where my operating centre will be, but is this price the norm or is the Portsmouth news just charging what they want as they no we have no choice but to use them.

it cost me £65 to do mine in barnsley chronicle 4 yrs ago i think it doubled now!! they pretty much seem to charge what they want as they know we got to use them :cry: :cry:

that’s a bit steep !!

are there no alternatives ?

As long as your application is published in a paper in that region you are ok.There must be more than one paper for your area or nearby.

Dave the Renegade:
As long as your application is published in a paper in that region you are ok.There must be more than one paper for your area or nearby.

Can I advertise in one of the free papers that come through your door? The Portsmouth news is our only local paper that you can buy. Chichester, Petersfield etc or have there local papers but they don’t really cover the Portsmouth area.

I had to do two as I have two operating centres and they were in different areas. They were both around the £150 mark. That was about this time last year.

Paul

think mine was £280.bloody rip off.

Dazzler:

Looks like I just got to grin and bear it then. I wonder if the office of fair trading are aware of this, with little or no competition these newspaper can just charge what they want and get away with it. I do feel a little better having got that off my chest but not a lot

Dazzler:

We always do our adverts in the free weekly paper , the newspaper needs to be read by the general public which it is , and last time i paid for an advert in the free paper in 2006 i think it was around the £175 mark , they maybe free but they recoup costs from advertising :cry:

£100+vat where we are. It doesnt have to go in a main stream paper, as long as its not a local “free” rag that gets shoved through peoples doors. I would have thought Pompey would have more than one paper??

I didi mine Three weeks ago it cost me £300 in Felixstowe, you think £250 was bad

Dave the Renegade:

The vast majority of small newspapers nowadays are actually owned by larger concerns such as Associated Newspapers so the reality is different title but same owner.

I heard once that someone once put an operators licence advert in Angling Times as it is available everywhere :laughing:

44 Tonne Ton:

Dave the Renegade:

The vast majority of small newspapers nowadays are actually owned by larger concerns such as Associated Newspapers so the reality is different title but same owner.

As long as it’s delivered in your are,even the free ad paper will suffice.