nsh pt2

Just replying to the recently added comments by Neil on the now locked old thread here :

Neil:

I:

Paul:
do you think that those you read about in the mags have been unlucky or are simply just no good at the job?

So what “excuse” would you pull out for forum resident Neil then? Was he “no good at the job”, just “unlucky” or how about this Paul : he used the brain he was born with and saw a very long down hill slide into a black hole and got out before it came to that? Nah, that would be too obvious that, wouldn’t it?

Sorry Neil, but you are a perfect (and handy) example of the point I’m trying to make
[/quote]

No problem Rob. I have said it on here before and I’ll say it again, I decided to get out because costs where going up and rates going down to the extent that I felt I could no longer justify the investment in money or effort when I could make as much, or in fact based on my last few months as an O/D more, doing something else.

But isn’t that just another way of saying what I said - “he used the brain he was born with and saw a very long down hill slide into a black hole and got out before it came to that?” :question:

Neil:

Paul:
and he couldn’t find anything to replace it that he fancied doing

Not quite correct, it wasn’t that I couldn’t find anything I fancied doing. I would have done anything that paid a decent rate. It was the fact I couldn’t find anything that paid a rate that I felt was worth doing. Work that I did get that paid a worthwhile rate wasn’t regular enough and I didn’t want to use it to subsidise poorer paying work.

Which proves my point that there’s no (read: very little) decent paying work about to justify being an owner driver, what with all the other (ever rising) costs involved.

Contrary to what Rob believes I was earning, I hadn’t worked for £1, £1.10 or even £1.20 a mile for a long time but when the majority of the rates I could now find, or were being offered to me, where back in and around those figures I decided enough was enough.

Just to put you right here, I never once thought/believed you were working a quid a mile Neil and you proved my suspicions correct a few months ago when you mentioned on one of the threads that you’d averaged between £1.60 and £2.40 per mile if I recall correctly. The quid a mile thread started when Sean was pulling for Maritime at a fraction over that figure, which was how the “quid a mile” thing kicked off.

You don’t strike me as the sort of bloke who’d be dim (mug?) enough to work for those kind of laughable rates. Correct me if I’m wrong :laughing: .

rob, your not grasping what the jobs all about, your wagon is your business, your in competition with everyone else who’s in the same job large or small, sometimes it’s just pure luck that you drop on something that pays top money other times you may be working for rates that aren’t that clever to keep the wheels turning but the good times can be, extremely good, in terms of a wage, you can earn what most would consider a good years money in six months or less, some manage to find that good work others don’t, thats just the way of it, like i say a lot of it is just down to luck of being in the right place at the right time.
i’ve no idea how anyone makes it pay at £1.10 a mile unless they’re getting a lot of waiting time in, like neil, i’d rather park up than work for nothing.

Rob K:
But isn’t that just another way of saying what I said

Yep, it was late when I typed that and I meant it to show that I was agreeing with you. :smiley:

paul b:
other times you may be working for rates that aren’t that clever to keep the wheels turning.

I think there is one of the major problems, as soon as an O/D, or a company come to that, starts down that path there can only be one outcome. :frowning:

it’s amazing the difference in rates from one job to another and one firm to another, but same as owt, firms will only ever pay what they can get someone to do the job for and no more.

paul b:
it’s amazing the difference in rates from one job to another and one firm to another, but same as owt, firms will only ever pay what they can get someone to do the job for and no more.

Very true, Trouble is there are people who will do it for silly money.

Coffeeholic:

paul b:

Very true, Trouble is there are people who will do it for silly money.

It has ALWAYS been this way, in the 70’s 80’s 90’s and so it goes on, you will always have o/d’s who have hardly any overheads so can afford the ‘smaller rate’ and you will always have the bigger company’s who work on quantity so take on contracts at a reduced rate (commonly known as rate cutting) this is what happened to containers back in the 80’s and just look how big stobarts got by doing contracts at a reduced rate (it’s a nicer way of putting it :wink: )

How many company’s are there where the boss started off as an o/d and built the company up, quite a few i reckon; and how many of those company’s have we all worked for over time, again quite a few

I know the original thread was locked before I got a chance to read the responses so bear with me on this please but

I would just like to make a few points clear

OhTerry:
how do you know that i havent pmd saun.

TheBear:
Paul, I pm’d Sean AND his sidekick, Funnyfut, several weeks ago cos I had heard this rumour too!!! To date I have had no answer. I WAS concerned when I heard that Sean may have gone under as like all of us, I know he has that new motor etc.
So if Terry has pm’d Sean and had no answer, like me, then where else would you ask about him then on here■■? Note, that neither Sean or Funny have posted for weeks now!!!
So stick that in yer (zb) pipe and smoke it and stop being so (zb)sanctimonious!!!

I have never been pm’d by either OhTerry or TheBear on this matter

OhTerry:

'coz I’ve just told 'em

PaulB:
no doubt you’ve pm’d sean thats why your now a “concerned” fellow member instead of a bloke who thought it would be a good idea to post that somebody had gone under without talking to the bloke first.

It would’ve been nice that way round (and I’d still like to know who told you I’d gone bankrupt)

And

RobK:
Just to put you right here, I never once thought/believed you were working a quid a mile Neil and you proved my suspicions correct a few months ago when you mentioned on one of the threads that you’d averaged between £1.60 and £2.40 per mile if I recall correctly. The quid a mile thread started when Sean was pulling for Maritime at a fraction over that figure, which was how the “quid a mile” thing kicked off.

I have never subbied for Maritime and was not pulling containers for anybody for well over a month before the quid a mile thread was even started

north surrey haulage:

TheBear:
Paul, I pm’d Sean AND his sidekick, Funnyfut, several weeks ago cos I had heard this rumour too!!! To date I have had no answer. I WAS concerned when I heard that Sean may have gone under as like all of us, I know he has that new motor etc.
So if Terry has pm’d Sean and had no answer, like me, then where else would you ask about him then on here■■? Note, that neither Sean or Funny have posted for weeks now!!!
So stick that in yer (zb) pipe and smoke it and stop being so (zb)sanctimonious!!!

Surprised to read that, NSH!! Obviously why I haven’t had a bloody answer pmsl I wonder now if FF got his. Twas simply a pm asking if you was ok as I had heard this nasty rumour.

north surrey haulage:
I have never subbied for Maritime and was not pulling containers for anybody for well over a month before the quid a mile thread was even started

Was it HanDbury Davies then? It’s that long ago now that I can’t remember, although I do clearly remember you were pulling boxes about for a quid a mile and a few pence before you start splitting hairs about how those extra few pence is a difference of about £13 million over 12 months etc blah blah blah…

Rob K:

north surrey haulage:

Was it HanDbury Davies then? It’s that long ago now that I can’t remember, although I do clearly remember you were pulling boxes about for a quid a mile and a few pence before you start splitting hairs about how those extra few pence is a difference of about £13 million over 12 months etc blah blah blah…

It used to be Handbury Davies but if you read the highlighted section of my quote you used you will see that your memory can be as bad as everybody else’s Rob

Hey hey, there you are slim, about time too :smiley: :wink:

Hey i like this just because your too busy or on holiday and you dont put any posts on here you must have gone bust.
I went to Spain last week half work half holiday does that mean i went bust for 3 day’s or have i got this post all wrong ?

north surrey haulage:
I know the original thread was locked before I got a chance to read the responses so bear with me on this please but

I would just like to make a few points clear

OhTerry:

TheBear:

OhTerry:

'coz I’ve just told 'em

PaulB:
no doubt you’ve pm’d sean thats why your now a “concerned” fellow member instead of a bloke who thought it would be a good idea to post that somebody had gone under without talking to the bloke first.

It would’ve been nice that way round (and I’d still like to know who told you I’d gone bankrupt)

And

RobK:

where did i say i HAD pmd you??

(zb), just either answer the question or shut the (zb) up man… derrrrrrrrrrrr

language edit mm

going bust is some one kicking you in the gonads

finishing, jacking, knocking it, is you kicking some one else in the gonads
before they do it to you

what does it matter to anyone on here?

the business is operated by nsh not trucknet members.

if he wants to tell everyone on here that he’s folding then that should be up to him, if he doesn’t want to tell the members of trucknet then that is also up to him, when did you lot become shareholders in north surrey haulage?

if he isn’t bankrupt or having any financial problems threads like the one previous could actually have that affect on his business, all it takes is a little rumour like this one to make people think that if they hold onto the money long enough they might not have to pay that bill.

rumours like this can be devastating to any company and can quickly lead to it’s demise.

i hope that nsh isn’t in trouble and that he sues the hell out of whoever started this rumour for whatever losses he can attribute to the affect that initial post has had on his business.

johnny:
when did you lot become shareholders in north surrey haulage?

Not me! Shares of a quid a mile isn’t going to buy me much :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .

johnny:
i hope that nsh isn’t in trouble and that he sues the hell out of whoever started this rumour for whatever losses he can attribute to the affect that initial post has had on his business.

:unamused:

well robk if you think a quid a mile is poor have a very good laugh the next time you see a macburney subby because he’ll be running around for just £0.85p a mile.

thats from the horses mouth - i almost fell about laughing when the guy at macburney told me - his name is steve woods and if you want to check it out the number is
0151 4721600 ask for steve and the first thing he tells you is how much the rate is, so then you can be just like me and wonder why the subbies on macburneys seem to be travelling so bloody fast for such crap rates, at 85 pence per mile i think i would be driving around at about 52 mph and trying to reach that speed by travelling downhill first - not 60mph like they are doing.

by the way rob - i’ve been there with the bankcruptcy rumours, i’ve had to deal with customers that try not to pay for work you’ve done because someone has told them you are struggling to get by and you won’t be about in a couple of months, life in business is hard and it gets harder still when people think your luck is out or down, nobody gives you a helping hand when your down and the so called friends you thought you had are suddenly too busy to take your calls.

i thought trucknet was a place to find friends and make friends not a site where you can build up yet more people who will put the boot in when your already on the floor.
i guess i was wrong though, eh?

carry on kicking and i hope if your ever in a similar situation you’ll remember this.

I’m with you on this one Johnney. For a while most of the nasty and spiteful comments subsided but they are back with a vengence again. I took a break from Trucknet for a while around the time of the “quid a mile” and “east european migrant workers” threads which IMHO got totally out of hand.The person who started the original thread about NSH going bankrupt may think it ok to ask because he heard " a rumour" but how would that person feel if Sean asked if it was true that they were a kiddy fiddler as he had heard “a rumour” an extreme example I know but if you can’t / wont name the source dont start a thread like this on only hearsay.