night driving

i had a call about two hours ago from my agency, they need me tonight 23.45. i know its a stupid request but any tips for night driving

mazarronjim:
i had a call about two hours ago from my agency, they need me tonight 23.45. i know its a stupid request but any tips for night driving

Yeah, switch the headlights on :wink:

mazarronjim:

And don’t fall asleep! :open_mouth:

Drink plenty of water, to the point where you feel you’re bladder’s about to burst. That will keep you awake!

There can be a tendancy to ‘fixate’ on lights - try not to.

There have been many posts about doing different shifts including nights and the biggest concern seems to be getting enough rest/sleep.
Not everyone can adapt to the above so be prepared to ‘alter course’ if necessary.
SAFETY must come first for you and everyone else

mazarronjim:

Yeah, dont yawp and shout when you are doing changeovers, some people are trying to sleep :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

mazarronjim:

Yeah, dont yawp and shout when you are doing changeovers, some people are trying to sleep :laughing:

And switch off the reverse bleeper on the unit if they are :exclamation:

Take some kind of entertainment because the radio ■■■■■ badly during the night time, my means of sanity when night driving is my ipod with podcasts / audiobooks

cheers for all the replies :laughing:
a pretty uneventful night, a lot of waiting around, one delivery to surrey and finished by 07.00.
a nice way to get experience methinks

mazarronjim:
cheers for all the replies :laughing:
a pretty uneventful night, a lot of waiting around, one delivery to surrey and finished by 07.00.
a nice way to get experience methinks

Did you manage to sleep in the day ok :question:

yes rog
ive never had trouble sleeping when its not dark. asleep by 09.00 awake again at 15.00
i might have a problem if the agency keeps giving me odd nights and days here and there, would nt be able to get into a pattern

watchout for overnight roadworks.

Presumably you have a car licence and presumably you’ve driven a car at night, well it’s no different to that.

Coffeeholic:
Presumably you have a car licence and presumably you’ve driven a car at night, well it’s no different to that.

:smiley:

not an altogether helpful post but i did laugh… a bit

Coffeeholic:

mazarronjim:

Thats what MODS are for …

mazarronjim:

Why was it not helpful? Driving one kind of vehicle at night is no different to driving another, I was just pointing that out.

Why was it not helpful? Driving one kind of vehicle at night is no different to driving another, I was just pointing that out.

Sounds reasonable to me. In fact, if anything I would have thought driving an artic was easier in the dark since the driver’s eye level is higher than in a car so there’d be less likelihood of being dazzled by oncoming car headlights.

I’d think the main problem would be monotony on long motorway stretches since there’d be less traffic to worry about or overtake etc (which also applies to driving a car); plus the problem of tiredness if sleep patterns are disrupted by variable day/night shifts.

Cheers…M