Newly Qualified Drivers

A FOAF has passed his C+E and is experiencing the usual problems of finding a job as a newly qualified driver.

This set me to wondering how much extra a haulier has to pay to insure a driver with less than the magic two years experience, what the changes are to excess etc, so if anyone has employed such a driver could they let me know?- ta.

Slightly off topic but recently I was looking round for jobs and I told them I had a dd conviction but it’s from eight years ago a few said no because of insurance company. In the mean time I had been looking at putting a truck on the road which I since have and with the seven insurance company’s I got quoted from it didn’t make a blind bit of difference so is it a case of employers not wanting to put a motor on the road with an inexperienced jockey at the wheel?
I know stobart take on newbies

I passed my class 2 at 18 and all the insurance asked is that the excess for me and only me went up to £1000 rather than £500 for all the other drivers.

8 legger:
I passed my class 2 at 18 and all the insurance asked is that the excess for me and only me went up to £1000 rather than £500 for all the other drivers.

That was the same as when I told the insurance company I had an 18 year old driver ( from the young driver scheme)

Looking for some cheap labour HM? :laughing:

hammer:

Lol, no, but if I ever did employ somebody I think I would prefer somebody who was new to it and could be trained from scratch, rather than somebody who had picked up a lifetime of bad habits that they just couldn’t shake off, such as myself for example! :wink:

Harry Monk:
rather than somebody who had picked up a lifetime of bad habits that they just couldn’t shake off, such as myself for example! :wink:

Harry, I wouldn’t employ myself either! :smiley:

Harry Monk:

hammer:

Lol, no, but if I ever did employ somebody I think I would prefer somebody who was new to it and could be trained from scratch, rather than somebody who had picked up a lifetime of bad habits that they just couldn’t shake off, such as myself for example! :wink:

I use this train of thought and it has worked for me. Trying to train ‘experienced’ drivers is frustratingly annoying!! Put a recently passed driver in the seat and they do exactly as asked, with enthusiasm as opposed to trying to change everything. You also find they are normally more careful and will ask for advice far quicker

Same here - under 25 or less than 2 years experience usually brings a £1000 EXTRA excess, which in our case means £2000 cos our excess is already £1000

It usually takes about 10 days to get approval (Equity Red Star) and one or two have been refused but no reason given

Unfortunately, in a lot of cases the under 25 proved to be an issue and I understand why the insurers don’t like it. Last one employes managed to bend a middle axle trailer wheel destroying the tyre and wrecking the curtain - but didn’t know how he did it. He then wrote off a fridge trailer - even though we don’t run fridges :wink:

SOme have been great lads though