Insurance '2 years experience rule'

First time into this forum but this seems to be where my question might best be answered. Apologies if I am wrong to post it here.

As a newly qualified driver out job hunting today I have called on four haulage companies. The first two informed me they could not employ me because their insurance companies require drivers to have a minimum of 2 years experience.
The other two both said that they would employ newly qualified drivers. One of them even laughed when I asked about needing two years experience, said he had never come across that rule.

I am now curious to know how real or widespread the rule is.

May I ask operators on here if their insurance has a ‘two years experience rule’?
(I promise not to pester you for a job :slight_smile: )

Thanks
Alan

Insurance companies often impose a higher excess for young and/or inexperienced drivers, but there is no rule against hauliers employing them.

Our insurance policy has no restriction, as long as drivers hold the relevant category for the vehicle driven, but there is an additional compulsory excess for drivers who have held the relevant category for less than 2 years.

Edit: this used to be the case for our group, but we are now Travis PLC and they handle the insurance.

Harry Monk:
Insurance companies often impose a higher excess for young and/or inexperienced drivers, but there is no rule against hauliers employing them.

Maybe my terminology isn’t good in the question:

Perhaps my question would have been clearer if I had said ‘policy condition’ or ‘policy restriction’ rather than rule.

Alan

Yes, it’s a clause in the insurance policy. Any haulage company can choose to take the chance on a new driver, it might just prove more costly for them. Like it or not, all new drivers are more likely to have minor accidents than experienced drivers, I was the same myself.

I would have to say that yes drivers with less experience are more likley to have minor bumps and generally little problems not through lack of ability but lack of experience this i have learned after passing class one 3 years ago finally got class 1 work after about a year and the last 2 years have been a learning curve when i 1st passed i thought differant but i now no differant and cant blame firms for using the 2 year clause

Younger drivers stand a better chance with the bigger firms like Steaddie Eddies/Post Office who self insure, they make a deposit of a £1million with the Dep of Trade, and then they take the decision themselves who drives with as much experience as they see fit and pay their own claims.
Unlike Big Joe Bloggs who has to go with what his insurance company says, as in my case no one under 25 with less than a two year old license :confused: