Newly Passed HGV - 2 Driver

Having passed my HGV - 2 test last November, and undertaking casual work for a local Tarmac driver, I thought that this week I would register with my local agencys.

The first one advised that he had loads of work, but after three days of trying to get a rate out of him I gave up. The rest all came back with the same reply

“Really sorry but we are unable to take you on at this time, as you will need to have two years experiance, but please call then”
Apprantly, so I have been advised, its down to the operators O licence. I have thought about becoming an owner driver, but surly the two year thing would affect my insurance for this.

I must also say that I dont want to appear rude, but I think driving is a ver tough and important job, and to be offered £5 - 8 an hour is a discrace, I could earn more becoming a window cleaner.

If anyone has some advice, I’m all ears, other than that its back to the day job for two years.

Steve

P.S I live in Essex

Which agencies have you tried? If you have a Driver Hire near you, they shouldn’t have any problem taking you on - I only passed my Class 2 in September and Class 1 in October, and they’ve kept me busy so far. The rates aren’t as good as some, but crucially I am working.

The only snag I can see is that it’s January, which is traditionally quiet - not perhaps the easiest time to establish yourself.

Good luck with it :slight_smile:

Steve, Im in a similar situation. I passed class 2 in December, and have had my car licence just under 2 years.
The agency I was already signed up with for van driving have managed to find me a couple of days work on class 2, but its no where near regular enough.

I have found alot of agencies saying 12 months/ 2 years experience required, but a few small local firms have said they can find me work. (Still waiting for my licence back from DVLA).

As Spitfire said, Driver Hire arent worried about experience. It may just be a case of literally going through all the others listed in the yellow pages. :confused:

Also, agencies in nearby towns may have work close to where you are.

hgvsteve:
Apprantly, so I have been advised, its down to the operators O licence.

That doesn’t sound at all right to me, it’s almost certainly a condition of the insurance not the ‘O’ licence.

have thought about becoming an owner driver, but surly the two year thing would affect my insurance for this.

Yep, it’ll be more just like its more for you car insurance for the first couple of years of having that test.

That’s the reason most firms dont want new drivers, they can employ you but they’d have to pay another insurance premium.

Larger firms it’s just company policy that they only employ over a certain age, experience level, to reduce the risk of damage to their vehicles. doesnt mean they can’t. So if you can convince them to give you a go…

The insurance on most big firms is just there for legal reasons, they pay next to nothing in premium in return for a huge excess (like £3’000’000)

I passed my test 2 years ago and had trouble getting a job, the old catch 22 situation. Then i heard from afriend he was leaving his job at a Keyline builders merchants, so i chanced my arm and got the job. I wasnt asked about experience etc, I know the wages arent great but theres plenty of free training, (HIAB, and fork lift). I have gained invaluable experience in the time i have been here and the company is always looking for drivers. As ive said the wages arent great but if you want to gain a bit of experience then at least think about giving any of the builders merchants a call.
:slight_smile:

I got myself a job with DHL in July as a courier, the same day i passed my theory test. Passed my cat C in Sept and they’ve been kind enough to let me gain experience.

I was in the 18 tonner full time through December and in and out of 7.5’s from sept to December.
Just before xmas we had a brand new Actros delivered, i was the first person to take it out. Didnt ask for it, just got handed the keys!
They’ve now offered to pay for my CL1.

So the direct route isnt always the best.

dennisw1:
I got myself a job with DHL in July as a courier, the same day i passed my theory test. Passed my cat C in Sept and they’ve been kind enough to let me gain experience.

I was in the 18 tonner full time through December and in and out of 7.5’s from sept to December.
Just before xmas we had a brand new Actros delivered, i was the first person to take it out. Didnt ask for it, just got handed the keys!
They’ve now offered to pay for my CL1.

So the direct route isnt always the best.

It is so good to see a driver willing to drive anything to gain experience but still go for what they want and well done DHL for spotting the right people to invest in. Well done denisw1 and good luck with the class 1. :wink: :sunglasses:

Spent 5 years driving .com vans for Tesco, when i mentioned i was going for class2, it was ‘good for you, whats that got to do with us?’ so don’t bother with them! :laughing:

dont know if it any help guys but i do know that st gobain (jewsons frazers grahams ect ) take on new passes mainly through manpower but also direct

shaun

dennisw1:

Larger firms it’s just company policy that they only employ over a certain age, experience level, to reduce the risk of damage to their vehicles. doesnt mean they can’t. So if you can convince them to give you a go…

Very true. I did this with Exel whom im with and they set me on with only 7months exp at class one (on and off that was too) and they usually specify two years exp. :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing:

dennisw1:

Correct, although it’s not always exclusivly larger firms, some small firms can be flexible as well.

Yep smaller firms tend to have to pay an aditional insurance premium, so depends if they’re willing to do this, all down to convincing them.

Thanks everyone for your advice, and this week will see me bashing the phone, and I guess that for the next six months, I will have to suffer the pay being low.

Steve

now a happy trucker

I signed up with driver hire today. Will see how it goes…

In my experience Exel are very good at giving newbies a try. I’m on Exel Ikea contract though agency and they know i dont have 2 years experience and all that crap and have had loads driving for them who have only just passed there test. Driver hire dont care about experience and Manpower driving got me work with royal mail even before my licence came back from DVLA.

Jaycool007:
Manpower driving got me work with royal mail even before my licence came back from DVLA.

Will have to give them a call! Thanks Jaycool. :smiley:

What are their rates like?

Well i was with manpower St Albans branch doing class 2 at £8.50ph and £12.50ph nights. Think they pay £9ph now to start with. Try there branch in Grays Tel: 01375 372 510 or even St Albans Tel: 01727 854 393 if you can work around Hertfordshire and north London. Well worth giving them a call, but beware, only some of there branches have class 2 for royal mail. I went back to manchester for a few months and there branch in Warrington only did class 1. Driver hire and manpower dont have best rates in the world but most will give you the work experience you need.

Does anyone have a contact number for exel, I’ve just looked on their we site and I cannot find anything

many thanks
Steve

Again, thanks Jaycool007! :sunglasses: