Just passed HGV Class 1 and looking for work

I am 26 years old and have been driving class 2 since October 2011. I have passed my Class 1 test last week and I am now on the case of getting a new job on the class 1! There are lots of companies around my area recruiting drivers either full time or through agencies but I am a bit unsure on how to approach this.

Would people recommend getting some experience on an agency before looking for a good stable full time position or to try to jump straight into one if possible? I know it is a struggle finding someone to take on a new driver anyway! I have found many positions that require 18 months or more class 1 experience although there are a few who just require me to do an assessment. Also would having the 2 and a bit years class 2 experience count as experience towards this?

I live in the Hertfordshire area.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Congrats on passing your Class 1 :wink:
I’d say that the 2 years exp: you’ve got under your belt will count towards the 2 years exp: that some require you have to have.Have you been driving class 2 on agency or employed by a company ?
I’ve been on agency work around Herts: for a while now,it suits me as I’m not after a full time position.I suppose it’s up to you,do you want a full time job ? Or agency ?
Whatever you decide,all the best.

Ramon123:
Congrats on passing your Class 1 :wink:
I’d say that the 2 years exp: you’ve got under your belt will count towards the 2 years exp: that some require you have to have.Have you been driving class 2 on agency or employed by a company ?
I’ve been on agency work around Herts: for a while now,it suits me as I’m not after a full time position.I suppose it’s up to you,do you want a full time job ? Or agency ?
Whatever you decide,all the best.

Thanks :smiley: I have been employed full time direct by the company. I quite enjoy working where I am but I now want to progress onto the class 1 and if possible find a job with a little less hand balling and unloading! I don’t mind getting my hands dirty but doing it for 9 hours a day without much driving gets a bit too much :laughing:
I am obviously after good job security in other words I don’t want to be laid off after a week or have days thrown at me here and there so I suppose my aim is to find a employer willing to take me on full time! Thanks for the advice on that, I have applied to a few companies that have asked for experience and stated my experience on the class 2 so hopefully someone gets back to me soon!

Dont give up a full time job for agency as they may give you plenty work now but they will soon drop you if no work then what

Go look for a job as when you can work permitting but stay where you are until a job comes along

BTW I have done some handballing while on Cat CE whole trailer load as well as loading it also done multi drop on CE so dont think it is much different to what you are doing now

As Animal said dont give up a permanent job for agency done that 5 years ago never again.
Knock on doors witb your cv beats posting it every time chat to the tm see what comes of it, another bonus of talking to people is you can ask do you know whos employing if he isnt you wont get that with a letter.
As for handballing on a c+e used to go to Wakefield for Bhs with a 45ft for Christmas wrapping paper 12 rolls in a box and handball the lot floor to ceiling so just coz its c+e its not all onto a bay.

Good luck with the search keep knocking on doors.

Jeff.

Well done on passing your class 1 . I would say that your in a prime position regarding getting a class 1 job. I would think employers would sooner take on a guy like you who has some experience, rather than take a chance on a complete novice. Although the chances of getting a permanent job CAN be slim, but not impossible, my advice would be to sign up with as many agencies as you can. Your going to have to work your socks off for a while but it’s all valuable experience. Good luck.

Your previous experience will help for sure. Would your existing eemployer not want a class 1 driver?

Congrats on your pass! Such a great feeling.

Personally I’d be aiming at the direct approach, it worked for me, just keep ringing round or calling round on foot to as many places as you can, there will be opportunities out there, you just need to turn over a few rocks to find them :slight_smile:

Avoid agencies like the the plague and go direct.

I did and it paid off handsomely. There are plenty of small, medium as well as large companies out there. You only need one to give you a chance but you have to knock on doors and make it happen like others on here have done.

Congratulations on passing your C+E.