Passed 2months ago,still no work

As the tittle says, i passed my class 2 two months ago and I’m still to find any work.
I have registered with 8 agencies so far and had nothing what so ever.
I live in Swadlincote near Burton on Trent and have been sending my CV to all the transport companies around here and even phoned them up and asked if they are taking on,with no joy.
all i want to do is work and I’m getting a bit disheartened with it all now.
does anyone have any tips or know anyone that is willing to give a new starter a chance by me?
Really annoys me to think that i could pass my class 2 and go work in an office for two years but then be classed as an experienced hgv driver not having been in one for two years.
any help would be massively appreciated
:slight_smile:

phone your agency’s up every day also as they prob forgot about you. I had an agency phoned me up other day to register with them as they are in need of class 2 :open_mouth:

i phone all of them at least twice a week but they just keep saying there isn’t a lot out there for class 2’s at the moment :frowning:

Swamped with class 2 around the North West.

Could always go in for your class 1?

From what I’ve been told many times, 1st 2-3 months of any year work can be thin on the ground.
Try to stay positive and keep plugging,with the weather getting better surely there will be holidays to cover etc which may be a foot in the door.

driver hire at Burton have always been good to me, they have an upgrade scheme as well.

It sounds to me Fat boy that you are doing everything you can mate. Stick at it,something will turn up. Even if its a crappy night shift at short notice or whatever,just take it and once you help out an agency,you have a good chance of them contacting you again.

That’s often how it all starts,did for me anyway. Good luck.

Fat_Boy:
i phone all of them at least twice a week but they just keep saying there isn’t a lot out there for class 2’s at the moment :frowning:

1, your a newbie what did you expect…
2, your only ringing twice a week, an hour after you’ve put the phone down they’ve forgotten about you.
You should be ringing them 8am and 3pm every day.
Don’t put any restrictions on the type of work.

I know company in coleshill who deliver carpets and flooring,not great and get stressed but gets you the experience and they were screaming out for them a few weeks ago if your interested ■■?

Fat_Boy:

I left agency back of January and I still get loads of calls am I available.

And not teeming with experience I only passed Oct.

As said pester your agencies like a stalker! And I took on 7.5t to get in door. Did a week then said find me class 2 and they did

try and find out if there are any Muller Wiseman depots near you,they take on newbies and the training they give is very good.They will put you through your class 1 too if you play your cards right.

kts at measham are always taking on too.

You must get out and meet those that do the hiring

Try going out early on a Monday morning with all your kit in the boot and knocking on doors - bet someone is a driver short and thinking about calling an agency …

Very occasionally a well established company will take on a newbie so go and visit Upton Steel at Markfield now - might be a waste of time - might not

I’d say that you’d be wanting to visit the companies than just sending your CV. Also consider being willing to do tramping work. I recall one company over near the A38/M1 area that had class 2 work available but only if you would do tramping.

I got more work locally or would have considered it.

Rural areas are more like that but if you’re able you might want to consider getting a HIAB because in late spring the orders for that work will increase and you’d be more employable.

But HIAB has its own pitfalls, but I’m sure you’d find them out :wink:

Try looking around the Tamworth, Lichfield And the North East Corner of Birmingham areas… There is a lot of work going… A friend on mine is working in that area and is turning more work away than he can do… And he is not even doing nights out…

Don’t rely on agencies… As said above keep your kit in the car. Get out with your CV, dress smart, but in work clothes and start knocking on doors… In your area you have lots of different types of work available… Chilled food, frozen food, car transporting, car parts, general haulage, containers, parcel companies (multi drop & night runs), companies doing their own deliveries… It is endless

loads of class 2 and class 1 in the Yorkshire area even for newbies :open_mouth: