Newbie Question, Hearing/Deafness

Hi There,

Is partial deafness a problem to a HGV wannabe?

Would it be a problem at the medical?

I’ve had car license for 27 years with no problems,

I’m just wondering if the rules are different for HGV’s.

I did try searching but couldn’t find the answer, so all advice/replies welcome

Tim

If you take a look on the DVLA website, you can get a list of conditions that the DVLA will and wont allow, all conditions and the surrounding circumstances will be taken into consideration.

Dont expect your provisional to come back quickly though, as you have a ‘medical condition’ it will take months for it to be looked at!

The only advise that I would give is, if you have a medical condition as you do then get your medical done by your own GP, who knows your history, normally I would say go to an indipendant doc as the cost is normally a lot lower, but in your situation it will reduce the back and forth letter writing between the DVLA docs and your Doc

Thanks for that quick reply, I must say I feel stupid now, DVLA website should have been first place to look :blush:

It’s the heat you know!

Have found info needed.

Thanks again

Tim

Im totally deaf in left ear & I hole a Cat C so shouldnt be a prob

Have had full bike & car licence since early 80"s

Powell1832:
Dont expect your provisional to come back quickly though, as you have a ‘medical condition’ it will take months for it to be looked at!

Really :question:

The only advise that I would give is, if you have a medical condition as you do then get your medical done by your own GP, who knows your history, normally I would say go to an indipendant doc as the cost is normally a lot lower, but in your situation it will reduce the back and forth letter writing between the DVLA docs and your Doc

Why :question:

I had my medical done by an independent Dr with no problem although it did take a while but that was for a different reason

I train profoundly deaf candidates. The test has to be booked as a special test. Apart from that, no problem. And for yourself you wont need a special test. Just make it clear to the examiner at the start of the test and you’ll be fine. Don’t be afraid to ask him to repeat the instruction if you’re not clear.

Very best of luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

animal:

How do you hole a cat c? lol … some new ■■■■■■ exploit !! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

animal:
Im totally deaf in left ear & I hole

I’m totally deaf in both eye holes!

Sorry should that be

I’M TOTALLY DEAF IN BOTH EYE HOLES!

I know it’s childish and not helpful but I couldn’t resist

…made me smile :laughing: :laughing:

The reason I say do it with your own doc is that it saves having to go through all the issues etc with another doc, trying to remember dates, medication doses etc, also you are less likely to forget to put something in the forms,

I had my medical done by an independent Dr with no problem although it did take a while but that was for a different reason
[/quote]
I don’t know why it just does! If you take a look at my other topic you will see my reasoning behind my comment

Thanks everyone for the replies,

Reading posts on here and info from DVLA I don’t think I’m going to have any problems.

regards to all

Tim

8wheels:

animal:
Im totally deaf in left ear & I hole

I’m totally deaf in both eye holes!

Sorry should that be

I’M TOTALLY DEAF IN BOTH EYE HOLES!

I know it’s childish and not helpful but I couldn’t resist

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

cheeky whipersnapper

discoman:

animal:

How do you hole a cat c? lol … some new ■■■■■■ exploit !! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

So sorry Mr Perfect that I mis spelt something but it not my strong point maybe ill have to back to school

Powell1832:
The reason I say do it with your own doc is that it saves having to go through all the issues etc with another doc, trying to remember dates, medication doses etc, also you are less likely to forget to put something in the forms,

Dont think he will be on any medication for his deafness :unamused:

As he holds a licence already they should already know as I had to put it on when I 1st applied for mine way back

Powell1832:

I don’t know why it just does! If you take a look at my other topic you will see my reasoning behind my comment
[/quote]
Yep I have read it & replied if you care to look