Newbie Advice for medically revoked licence

Hi

Had my car licence revoked 4 years ago for medical reasons. Just got it back but they’ve given me a 3 year medical review licence. Problem is I don’t know where I stand with applying for provisional LGV.

1 They won’t allow it on a 3 year licence
2 They will allow it but 3 year review will remain in place
3 A D4 will supersede the above (if successful)

Can’t get through on the phone. Every time I phone they say they can’t take the call, try later.

Does anybody know the rule on this?

Cheers.

Dave

Maybe a letter may suffice and is there a facsimile transmitter number on any paperwork to send them a message?

It depends what the medical conditions are.

If you have a psychiatric issue that has psychotic symptoms, bipolar or schizophrenia then the DVLA are unlikely to allow you to drive heavy vehicles.

Same applies for diabetes and heart conditions, unless you can prove your issue is stable and you’re unlikely to have a medical episode at the wheel.

But I’m sure most conditions are 1 year medicals and your GP must testify to the DVLA that your medical condition is stable.

Thanks for responses. Mainly a bit of depression. Finally got through they are happy for me to send off application but might need more enquiries. You would think that if a doctor is happy to fill out a D4 that should be the end of the matter. Also need to submit a M1V. Again you would think D4 would be sufficient. According to person on the phone a D4 is just about basic medical conditions. Looking through it seems pretty extensive to me. We’ll see what happens!! Been a fair wait for the car licence to come back.

The medical sector at the dvla is another world and they have odd ways of processing assessments.
Like a secret club!

Sometimes applications for an HGV provisional need to go through the TC, there may be something relevant in Stat Doc #6
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … n_10.0.pdf

Also, have a look a the official guidance for medical professionals when assessing fitness to drive
gov.uk/government/publicati … fessionals

Thanks I’ll check those docs out. Don’t have much choice really other than post them off and see what happens. In the meantime I can practise in a car!