Newbie LGV Driver

Evening All

Just recently passed the Cat C (which i presuming is the same as a Class 2 driver) test and waiting for my License to come back (along with sending off for my Digital Tacho). I do have a couple of question (which i apologise in advance if they have been asked before)

I’m not looking for a full time job but more along the lines of just weekend work. Is it possible that this can be done - or is it a case that if you apply to an agency they will give you week jobs. Driving hours wise would working full time during the week (not driving) effect the hours and finally as a newbie (and not wanting to sound stupid here) are you likely to be checked in at the deep end and be expected to get on with it.

not out for a full time job or anything but something just to get experience with driving the trucks in ‘real’ life as opposed to learning conditions.

Many thanks for you help

gherkin:
Just recently passed the Cat C (which i presuming is the same as a Class 2 driver) test and waiting for my License to come back (along with sending off for my Digital Tacho). I do have a couple of question (which i apologise in advance if they have been asked before)

Hi gherkin,

And…

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your “C” test :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

gherkin:
I’m not looking for a full time job but more along the lines of just weekend work. Driving hours wise would working full time during the week (not driving) effect the hours

Having a full-time job during a week is very likely to affect your availability for driving at weekends.
Without getting into the specifics, you’d probably be able to work one day every other weekend.

Hi ya and welcome
I drive a truck part time to make extra money as my main job is a taxi driver I went to the agency and explained I was looking for part time work to fit in with taxi I was honest with them and said what I could and could not do was really lucky and have managed to juggle both u need to make sure that ur hours are leagal and if hold a full time job during the week will prob only be able to do one day every other weekend to keep the weekly rest leagal if u look for the hours and regulations on the other forum animal might post u a liink when she sees ur post it will Explain the rules for u

Good luck
Jennie x

Congratulations on passing your C test & welcome :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

thanks very much guys and girls. I had a sneaky feeling that I might not be able to work every weekend - but obviously its better to be legal than being in trouble!! It was mainly to get expereice as the last thing I wanted was getting the C Cat and not using it. Hoping to push for C+E and ADR but will have to see how the budget plan out. I’ll have to start looking for an agency now…so excited as a kid all i wanted to do was drive a truck (sad i know!!!)

Welcome to the mad house

Well done on the pass

As has been said you will poss only be able to drive 1 day every other weekend

Where bout in Northumberland are you as may be able to advise you on agencies etc

Who did you train with :question: :question:

A copy ot this may be of some use

businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … hicles.pdf

Thanks for the link animal, A user name Rog also emailed me some details regarding hours, yet to read through it though ad I’ve bee quite busy over e last couple of weeks.

Located between Amble and Ashington…not far from Alnwick or Morpeth.

have to admit slightly confused with the online agencies not so much in what to do but quite bait of info around and nothing that seems to fit my requirements if that makes sense.

who did i train with…will i be looked upon as a black sheep if i said the RAF down at Leconfield?

The user Coffeeholice is also good with driver hours btw

Yep know it have an uncle who lives in Morpeth & mate in Alnwick 1 in Pegswood & a few more in that area auntie who had a caravan at Seahouses when I was a kid so spent all my hols there

Yep know Leconfeild ah one of those

from your comment about Leconfield, i presume that particular dump…erm camp isn’t a particularly liked area. Or would you be refering to the driving standards that come out of there? :wink:

I have delivered into Leconfeild a few times will say nowt bout rest :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

animal:
ah one of those

You’re very close to being deleted off my xmas card list :laughing:

Wish I did my trg at Leconfield when I was in the RAF (well I’m still in but have finished work) instead of pay over £1000.

Mick3911:

animal:
ah one of those

You’re very close to being deleted off my xmas card list :laughing:

Wish I did my trg at Leconfield when I was in the RAF (well I’m still in but have finished work) instead of pay over £1000.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yep I agree there as I done mine when was on the sick so had some funding for it