Newbie after some info

hi, i maybe starting my 1st driving job through an agency, but need to confirm the tacho regs,someone please explain to me clearly word by word (lol) so i dont screw it up. that would be appricated!

1.driving 4.5 hours and rest 45 minutes.how do i know that i have driven 4.5 hours on a analogue tacho and digital tacho?

1. i can only drive maximuim in one day is 9 hours but 2 days of the week can be increased to 10. true/false? also how do i know that i have done 9 or 10 hours?

3.do i have my tacho set to ‘‘other work’’ whilst doing the vehicle checks?

4.if i’m doing 40 drops in the local area. do i have my tacho set to driving or otherwork?

5.my day starts from sun 24.00 hrs to mon 24.00 hrs true/false

6.whilst im unloading. my tacho has to be set at driving or otherwork?

i know these questions might be abit stupidly asked, but some serious help would be appricated

thanks

truckerwannabe:
1.driving 4.5 hours and rest 45 minutes.how do i know that i have driven 4.5 hours on a analogue tacho and digital tacho?

Digi - gives you a warning when it gets to about 4.15 I think - never used one :blush:
Analogue - you need a seperate timer - viewforum.php?f=45

truckerwannabe:
2. i can only drive maximuim in one day is 9 hours but 2 days of the week can be increased to 10. true/false? also how do i know that i have done 9 or 10 hours?

TRUE
See answer to Q1 - anything over 9 hours is deemed as a 10 hour day

truckerwannabe:
3.do i have my tacho set to ‘‘other work’’ whilst doing the vehicle checks?

Yes

truckerwannabe:
4.if i’m doing 40 drops in the local area. do i have my tacho set to driving or otherwork?

Other work as it automatically goes to driving - there is not a driving mode switch

truckerwannabe:
5.my day starts from sun 24.00 hrs to mon 24.00 hrs true/false

The driver WEEK is Mon 0000 to Sun 2400
The 24 hour driver DAY starts when the tacho is inserted at the start of the shift

Some links which will help -
EU DRIVER REGS
VOSA GUIDE
RT(WTD)R regs
Happy reading

Thanks rog one more please.

7.if for example i was going to drive the truck to the local mcdonalds. (2 mile away) . do i still need to have the tacho inside? and were should i set it too?

8.if it was my own truck do i still need a tacho inserted just going up the road?

9.i have to have to have my tacho calibrated by vosa every 28 days? true or false. also how will i know that it needs calibrating?

thanks rog

truckerwannabe:
7.if for example i was going to drive the truck to the local mcdonalds. (2 mile away) . do i still need to have the tacho inside? and were should i set it too?

Any LGV over 7.5 tonnes requires a tacho to be used whether private or commercial driving.
(unless it falls into one of the exemption catagories)

truckerwannabe:
8.if it was my own truck do i still need a tacho inserted just going up the road?

See answer to Q7

truckerwannabe:
9.i have to have to have my tacho calibrated by vosa every 28 days? true or false. also how will i know that it needs calibrating?

Not your worry as a driver - that’s for the truck owner to sort out

These are absolute basics and you haven’t got a clue,how did manage to get a job ? To set off on the road with so little basic knowledge,well I wonder how much trouble you will get into. Good luck,you will need it.

Deathstar:
These are absolute basics and you haven’t got a clue,how did manage to get a job ? To set off on the road with so little basic knowledge,well I wonder how much trouble you will get into. Good luck,you will need it.

Hang on here…
For newbies there is not a compulsory course on driver regs

The new Initial Driver cpc does not address this issue - stupid aint it !!

IMO the above is a severely missed opportunity by the EU - there are the EU driver regs and the EU driver cpc and yet they failed to introduce compulsory testing for a newbies knowledge of what they will need from day one :open_mouth: :exclamation: :exclamation:

All you need to know is here:-

transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/r … Europe.pdf

The printed version is available from VOSA testing stations (sometimes).

Nice bit of bedtime reading! :laughing:

ROG:

Deathstar:

Hang on here…
For newbies there is not a compulsory course on driver regs

The new Initial Driver cpc does not address this issue - stupid aint it !!

IMO the above is a severely missed opportunity by the EU - there are the EU driver regs and the EU driver cpc and yet they failed to introduce compulsory testing for a newbies knowledge of what they will need from day one :open_mouth: :exclamation: :exclamation:

For someone not to be aware of this information the day before they start work is indefensible,For sure ,someone may have one or two tacho queries for a specific role but to have so many general questions is worrying.The only thing the poster seems aware of is that LGV’s are fitted with tachographs and that’s all.All this information is freely available,particularly on the Internet.I can not grasp how someone can learn to drive a LGV yet remain blissfully unaware of tachograph regulations.It makes me wonder what other basic skills are missing,load security,vehicle checks,map reading.I’m sure an interesting first day awaits.

Deathstar:
For someone not to be aware of this information the day before they start work is indefensible,For sure ,someone may have one or two tacho queries for a specific role but to have so many general questions is worrying.The only thing the poster seems aware of is that LGV’s are fitted with tachographs and that’s all.All this information is freely available,particularly on the Internet.I can not grasp how someone can learn to drive a LGV yet remain blissfully unaware of tachograph regulations.It makes me wonder what other basic skills are missing,load security,vehicle checks,map reading.I

Some of what you mention is being addressed to a certain degree such as loading & securing but map reading/use of sat-navs and the drivers hours regs are not fully dealt with - I don’t think a few questions in the theory really does it any justice !!

Much info is freely available but every trainee needs to be given the information as to it’s exact location.

The problem would still arise as to whether that trainee understood the info though - it needs a test to determine that - A periodic dcpc course will not address this issue as there is no test

I used a digi tacho for the first time on Saturday in a 7.5t. I also had the same thoughts about how much driving time i was adding up during multi drops - but can confirm what Rog said - the Digi Tacho displays a warning when you hit 4hrs & 15mins total driving time…hopefully in the next 15mins you can find somewhere to pull up :slight_smile:

Deathstar:

how on earth do u expect to get a start in transport■■? do u know what day it is■■? time to get finger out n start learning .

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome auldyin54 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

auldyin54:
start learning

How is he supposed to know if what he has learnt is correct if he has not been tested on it :question: - is he just supposed to hope he has it right :question:

He could be one of those people who learns by asking questions in which case would this be a good place to ask those questions :question:

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

this is basic stuff that you can easily find on the net, its not as bad as the guy who turned up for his tesco assessment and then asked the assesser how do the suzies go in.