New work pratise

the firm i work for has asked the drivers if we would do the following.

work 5 weeks then take a week off without pay,there will be 7 drivers off a week all names are pull out of a hat.names put up on wall so everyone knows whos off.but if there is enough work they will be in but on day to day notice.it will give us 4 weeks extra holiday.

it was put to a vote and all drivers have agreed to it to save jobs.the boss wants to keep staff not sack any1 he says he is not employing us he is take on our family.it has been in operation in our other depot for 3 weeks at the most 3 drivers have been off all week.we can swap weeks if we have holidays booked the week after we had a week off if any drivers are ok with it.

it was my week off this week but i was in monday tuesday wednesday off today thursday but in tomorrow out tomorrow night aswell looks like then run in saturday.

it was bought in due to the down turn in work and is the only way to keep us all in jobs and not have to lay any1 off.

Times are hard, and if the bosses are not making the money they cannot pay, many firms lay off/make redundacies. it is in my opnion a sign of a good company when they go to the workforce, are open and honest and try to keep everyone in as much work as they can, Seems like your boss is trying to do the best in a bad situation

I’d agree with that. The last thing any of us wants is to be thrown out or work or to have it happen to our mates.

thunder we are doing similar. My take on it is that we all still have jobs,and right now thats a godsend. We do have some who will moan and winge and say it won’t pay the mortage, they’re not doing this and that etc…and we’ve also laid a few drivers off, or made them redundant.

There is also the fact that the company has experienced staff ready in place should things get busier. It might not be ideal but it’s more ideal than being one of the poor buggers to get made redundant.

At least they spoke to the Drivers. Others are only finding out when everything is gone south. And no way back

It’s not ideal but it’s better than laying seven drivers off. We’ve been on a six day delivery week since Christmas, banking the hours we’ve not worked. It seems really pap until you look on here at the amount of people out of work who can’t find any, and then it looks like a much better bargain.

thunder,our place has almost everyone on a 3 days one week and 4 days the following week and any overtime is banked to make up the wages for the week we are on 3 days weve been like this since just before xmas and it seems to be working ok, the only chaps that havent had their hours cut are the hiab wagon drivers as they are working flat out on jobs for the olympic village,a windfarm in scotland and odds and ends on general haulage

I have only one thing against this and it’s the fact that drivers names are pulled out of a hat. It should be done on a rota basis otherwise you’ll end up with some poor sap who ends up being off twice or more whilst others never are.

By all means, pull the names out of a hat but use that to decide the rota order, not who is taking time off every time.

Conor:
I have only one thing against this and it’s the fact that drivers names are pulled out of a hat. It should be done on a rota basis otherwise you’ll end up with some poor sap who ends up being off twice or more whilst others never are.

By all means, pull the names out of a hat but use that to decide the rota order, not who is taking time off every time.

Agreed. In fact I would have though this “pulling names out of a hat” wouldnt be legal as it may be end up discriminating against “unlucky” drivers.

Having said that, a decent & open attempt by your employer in “spreading the pain” evenly through out the work force rather than having to kick a few poor sods out.